Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: October 23, 2023
Purchase links: Amazon UK - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £24.99

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 12.07.29.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JinxyKatte
This is doing considerably better than WB expected. I'd bet a 4K release wasn't initially planned, and it's changed this week.

This is doing considerably better than WB expected. I'd bet a 4K release wasn't initially planned, and it's changed this week.

Nah there was obviously some licensing or legal thing that just delayed the listing of the 4K editions, there was never any chance of them not releasing this film in 4K from day 1. Whether it's doing better or worse with audiences than projected it's always been one of the biggest films of the year, would have been very weird for it not to have got a 4K release

Reactions: Flloydo
Yeah there’s no way they hadn’t planned this beforehand.

1. It’s WB
2. Projected at the start of the year to be huge and one of the biggest films of the year
3. Their marketing has been crazy and then the internet did the rest with Barbenheimer
4. The cast and cost of the film
5. The striking visuals throughout the film would not be wasted

Personally I think the only reason this has a only Blu Ray steel too is because barbie is supposed to be for kids even though the film isn’t. Mums and dads wouldn’t really be buying their teen daughters 4K steels for Christmas. But pop a Blu Ray in for a cheaper price in a nice packaging and bam

Nah there was obviously some licensing or legal thing that just delayed the listing of the 4K editions, there was never any chance of them not releasing this film in 4K from day 1. Whether it's doing better or worse with audiences than projected it's always been one of the biggest films of the year, would have been very weird for it not to have got a 4K release
I wouldn't have thought so. There's not going to be any legal or licensing issue with them releasing their own film on blu-ray, but not 4K. It'll be a distributor decision on what's produced.

WB are very predictable with their releases in the UK. Huge blockbusters get 4K straight away, others often don't. The US get more titles that haven't performed so well internationally, so I don't think there was ever any doubt it'd get one there.

I can't even remember the last blu-ray only steelbook release they've had in the UK for a new film, when they ultimately announce a 4K and 4K steel days later, when the film was seen to be performing so well. That's the most obvious conclusion, and my opinion on it unless we hear something to the contrary.

Yeah not a single 4K disc in sight at the moment, must be a technicality though and they'll be listed later

Anyway this is a Warner film and it's going to make tons of money and the reviews are really good - Manta Lab will have us covered :thumbs:
The film cost over $170 million to make so it needs to make over $670 million at the box office to break even...

The film cost over $170 million to make so it needs to make over $670 million at the box office to break even...
170m? Thought it was more like 100m? It's made nearly 500m already though, in less than a week. It'll do perfectly fine. Probably tip over 1bn.

You need add promo and distribution etc.. idk where he's pulled those figures from though.
Yeah, so production budget ($170m, which is questionable itself) times two to cover P&A = $340m and they’ve broken even according to Hollywood accounting. I have no idea this notion of making its budget back 4 times (???!) over before ur profitable….

Reactions: samdavies
Warner marketing budget for barbie is estimated to be over $150 million according to Variety
That's more than it cost to make the film itself the production budget was $145 million

The marketing spend has worked but to allocate that amount of revenue on marketing can backfire sometimes

There is also a lot revenue been made from merchandising products

170m? Thought it was more like 100m? It's made nearly 500m already though, in less than a week. It'll do perfectly fine. Probably tip over 1bn.
You have to wait at least 3 months to see the returns..... But yes It'll do well. It's not going to be like Dial of Destiny or Little Mermaid where it's going to lose money.... And I can think of one film that has been held back nearly 2 years that is going to bomb big time in the cinema... It's dead on arrival....

I’m sure they did but not half a billion dollars, come on bruv…..
For major films they always spend at least the cost of the film on advertising.... Been like that for years. Remember they have to flog the arse out of it in every medium to make sure everyone knows about it.......... Roughly 40% of films fail at the box office. It only becomes a problem if it's your expensive mega films that flop.....

For major films they always spend at least the cost of the film on advertising.... Been like that for years. Remember they have to flog the arse out of it in every medium to make sure everyone knows about it.......... Roughly 40% of films fail at the box office. It only becomes a problem if it's your expensive mega films that flop.....
Yes, so if the cost of the film is $170m (which feels like an overestimate already) the break-even number is $340m. Not sure where ur getting $670m from; that’s 4x over……

Warner marketing budget for barbie is estimated to be over $150 million according to Variety
That's more than it cost to make the film itself the production budget was $145 million

The marketing spend has worked but to allocate of revenue on marketing can backfire sometimes

There is also a lot revenue been made from merchandising products
Also studios are making less and less expensive films but they seem to be bombing more. Here are the biggest failures of all time at the box office.

1. 1 John Carter ($133-236 million)
  2. 2 The Lone Ranger ($186-221 million) ...
  3. 3 The Flash ($200 million) ...
  4. 4 The 13th Warrior ($112-210 million) ...
  5. 5 R.I.P.D ($116 million) ...
  6. 6 Mortal Engines ($189 million) ...
  7. 7 Cutthroat Island ($187 million) ...
  8. 8 A Wrinkle in Time ($152 million) ...
Adjusting for inflation Gone with the Wind is still the biggest grossing film of all time..... That is budget against actual profit..... There are loads of other factors at play. Yes it played in the theatres for over 24 years.
Yet Cleopatra 1963 took I think 12 years just to make its money back. So many factors at play. Films then did not have the massive outlets they have today from streaming to physical media and vastly smaller populations
so the profits of the likes of Gone with the Wind are very impressive indeed.

Anyway way off target back to pink plastic.......

Yes, so if the cost of the film is $170m (which feels like an overestimate already) the break-even number is $340m. Not sure where ur getting $670m from; that’s 4x over……
Because cinemas get a big cut in the first month and other areas as well so a film these days has to make serious inroads in profits to even break even as well as bring the problem of countering other films from the same studio which makes loses. So some serious balancing acts going on. I would not want to be an accountant for a major studio...