Basil The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 5, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order October 13, at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £18.99

43694596_10155486462355146_7188007749907644416_n.jpg

11912758-1964617561447267.jpg 11912758-2114617561677169.jpg 11912758-1764617561752268.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
might look weird with the embossing, maybe a magnet or sticker that better matches the color and only goes over disney would look nice
You should be OK as the print is de-bossed and won't protrude although for a potential handful of customers I don't suppose it's worth your while.

Far more worthwhile would be your fab spine magnets here reading BASIL, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE.

I like 'Disney the Great Mouse Detective' the best. :rofl:
You're not alone in your liking of generic titles nowadays but it shouldn't be forgotten that generic titles for Disney films were the exception rather than the rule at the time . . . the change of title to THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE was an order from the top and was far from popular . . .
. . . leading to this famous satirical memo being circulated:-
1543063879081.png

Nowadays of course you get generic titles as a rule rather than an exception . . . now you get FROZEN or TANGLED instead of the more poetic and dare I say better THE SNOW QUEEN and RAPUNZEL etc. . . . as for FROZEN: nice they fitted the original title into the promotional material though:-
1543064175563.png

• Haha
Reactions: monanza and DrH
I don't normally stress over movie titles but on occasion some get a raised eyebrow. I mean, Disney may be a great mouse but he ain't no detective ;). BTW, I like Basil in the title better as it pays homage to the books... but I'll take any title with this wonderful steel (notched ear notwithstanding).

Reactions: paulboland
I'd actually be prepared to pay a few quid for the correct circle and spine title...not that we should have too
damn youse @zavvi getting it wrong and lazy

But as I said before, Basil isn't what it's called on-screen.

I completely agree that Basil is the title we're used to seeing on our video and DVD covers, and indeed, was on the theatrical poster here in the UK. Obviously on this occasion, Disney have decided to reflect the actual on-screen title on the packaging. It's a strange decision for sure, but not inaccurate.

As I also said before, I prefer any packaging to feature the same title (ideally in the same font) as what appears on-screen. Just look at the Indiana Jones steelbooks. The first one is now called Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, whereas the movie is simply Raiders of the Lost Ark. Ironically, only Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom uses the red/orange/yellow design on-screen which is used for all posters and home video releases regardless of the instalment.

Psycho also uses the cracked red impact font on all media releases despite not actually appearing until Psycho II. First Blood is now Rambo: First Blood, Fast 5 and Furious 6 are now just Fast and Furious 5 and 6 etc., Damien: Omen II is now Omen II Damien and The Final Conflict is now Omen III The Final Conflict. So on and so forth.

For me, a bigger issue with recent Disney classic releases is that the character models for many of their Princesses, Basil himself, and many more are so far removed from how they appear on-screen as to be almost unrecognisable. Yes, you know that's Basil on the steelbook, but compare him to a screenshot and tell me he looks the same.

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles
For me, a bigger issue with recent Disney classic releases is that the character models for many of their Princesses, Basil himself, and many more are so far removed from how they appear on-screen as to be almost unrecognisable. Yes, you know that's Basil on the steelbook, but compare him to a screenshot and tell me he looks the same.

Yeah, that’s definitely been an issue. They’ve been doing that for a while though. The covers are almost caricatures if the characters they’re portraying.

I completely agree that Basil is the title we're used to seeing on our video and DVD covers, and indeed, was on the theatrical poster here in the UK. Obviously on this occasion, Disney have decided to reflect the actual on-screen title on the packaging. It's a strange decision for sure, but not inaccurate.

As I also said before, I prefer any packaging to feature the same title (ideally in the same font) as what appears on-screen. Just look at the Indiana Jones steelbooks. The first one is now called Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, whereas the movie is simply Raiders of the Lost Ark. Ironically, only Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom uses the red/orange/yellow design on-screen which is used for all posters and home video releases regardless of the instalment.

Psycho also uses the cracked red impact font on all media releases despite not actually appearing until Psycho II. First Blood is now Rambo: First Blood, Fast 5 and Furious 6 are now just Fast and Furious 5 and 6 etc., Damien: Omen II is now Omen II Damien and The Final Conflict is now Omen III The Final Conflict. So on and so forth.

He is called basil on screen in the film that's the character name.

UK DVD and UK VHS releases
Opening credits title card on screen is Basil the Great Mouse Detective not just the packaging itself.
UK DVD disc on screen menu also has title listed as Basil The Great Mouse Detective

Disney UK used the 2012 USA blu-ray encode for the UK 2015 Blu-ray that's why opening credits title card is the USA title it's an error that likely will be fixed with later UK Blu-ray release.
It has though correct UK title printed on the UK Blu-ray disc itself this same disc is in the steelbook

The UK 2015 Blu-ray Amaray has correct UK title on the packaging

I gather you don't have UK DVD or UK VHS in your collection
Screenshot (95).png

Last edited:
He is called basil on screen in the film that's the character name.

UK DVD and UK VHS releases
Opening credits title card on screen is Basil the Great Mouse Detective not just the packaging itself.

Disney UK used the 2012 USA blu-ray encode for the UK 2015 Blu-ray that's why opening credits title card is the USA title it's an error that likely will be fixed with later UK Blu-ray release.
It has though correct UK title printed on the Blu-ray disc

The UK 2015 Blu-ray Amaray has correct UK title on the packaging

I gather you don't have UK DVD or UK VHS in your collection
View attachment 403850

I stand corrected then on the previous VHS and DVD releases. I no longer have either to check, but for the life of me I don't recall Basil being part of the on-screen title. Clearly though it is.

That said, this release doesn't say it on-screen so the box and movie both feature the same title which is fine by me. In fact, the disc now has the wrong title on it technically. Ultimately I don't have a preference for either the US or UK title.

• Thanks
I stand corrected then on the previous VHS and DVD releases. I no longer have either to check, but for the life of me I don't recall Basil being part of the on-screen title. Clearly though it is.

That said, this release doesn't say it on-screen so the box and movie both feature the same title which is fine by me. In fact, the disc now has the wrong title on it technically. Ultimately I don't have a preference for either the US or UK title.
The UK Blu-ray has the correct title Basil The Great Mouse Detective printed on the disc itself as that's the official title in the UK/Ireland
Disney themselves list that's the title for the UK/Ireland.

UK DVD disc menu has UK title as does the opening credits title card on screen

The reason why the UK Blu-ray disc menu and opening credits title card has the USA title is it's the 2012 USA Blu-ray file reused on the UK Blu-ray
Disney UK was meant meant to do a UK encoding of the disc menu and opening credits card title for 2015 release to match previous UK Cinema and DVD/Vhs releases but decided to just use the USA Blu-ray file.
All they did was print the UK title on the Blu-ray disc and amaray packaging.
81-xKBFicSL._SX342_.jpg

The correct title IMO that should be used is what the disney animators originally wanted and that was Basil of Baker Street and is what he is mentioned as in the film itself.
USA changed it to The Great Mouse Detective and later in 1992 to Aventures of the Great Mouse Detective and then in 2010 back to The Great Mouse Detective

UK has had the title as Basil the Great Mouse Detective since it's UK/Ireland cinema release in 1986 and used with later UK VHS/DVD/Blu-ray releases
The opening credits title card on screen in UK/Ireland Cinemas in 1986 was Basil The Great Mouse Detective

The UK Blu-ray has the correct title Basil The Great Mouse Detective printed on the disc itself as that's the official title in the UK/Ireland
Disney themselves list that's the title for the UK/Ireland.

UK DVD disc menu has UK title as does the opening credits title card on screen

The reason why the UK Blu-ray disc menu and opening credits title card has the USA title is it's the 2012 USA Blu-ray file reused on the UK Blu-ray
Disney UK was meant meant to do a UK encoding of the disc menu and opening credits card title for 2015 release to match previous UK Cinema and DVD/Vhs releases but decided to just use the USA Blu-ray file.
All they did was print the UK title on the Blu-ray disc and amaray packaging.
View attachment 403859

The correct title IMO that should of been used is what the disney animators originally wanted and that was Basil of Baker Street
USA changed it to The Great Mouse Detective and later in 1992 to Aventures of the Great Mouse Detective and then in 2010 back to The Great Mouse Detective

UK has had the title as Basil the Great Mouse Detective since it's UK/Ireland cinema release in 1986 and used with later UK VHS/DVD/Blu-ray releases
The opening credits title card on screen in UK/Ireland Cinemas in 1986 was also Basil The Great Mouse Detective

Here's my take on it...

I too think that Basil of Baker Street is the best title the movie could have had. As that never came to pass (a bit like Licence to Kill was never released as Licence Revoked, even though that was the original plan) then the UK Blu-ray, including this steelbook should be known as Basil the Great Mouse Detective as that was the original theatrical title that has appeared on-screen ever since. Except...

That is no longer the case. The Blu-ray states on-screen The Great Mouse Detective (like it or not, agree with it or not) so IMO the packaging and disc art should reflect that.

This thread is why I am most likely giving up this hobby and most likely this site. This has been incredulous. How many pages has it been discussed about the title? I am at the point of "I don't really care any more". It spoils the enjoyment for me now. I really like this steelbook, but hate it now because it reminds me of this bickering. I'm prepared for the backlash, but don't care any more.

Here's my take on it...

I too think that Basil of Baker Street is the best title the movie could have had. As that never came to pass (a bit like Licence to Kill was never released as Licence Revoked, even though that was the original plan) then the UK Blu-ray, including this steelbook should be known as Basil the Great Mouse Detective as that was the original theatrical title that has appeared on-screen ever since. Except...

That is no longer the case. The Blu-ray states on-screen The Great Mouse Detective (like it or not, agree with it or not) so IMO the packaging and disc art should reflect that.
The UK Blu-ray amaray artwork has the UK title even the steelbook the disc itself has the UK title printed on the disc.
Since it's UK/Ireland cinema launch for the UK the title is Basil the Great Mouse Detective
This is why later UK VHS/DVD/Blu-ray packaging has the UK title until this steelbook release
Zavvi admitted on Twitter steelbook has wrong title for a UK release.

The Blu-ray inside the UK Amaray and Steelbook is the USA Blu-ray it's a mistake and was likely to save money on having to do a new UK encode for a UK Blu-ray release even though they already have a UK DVD Digital file with correct UK title.

They did not do a proper UK encode of the film for the UK Blu-ray release.
All they did in 2015 was print the UK title on the disc and amaray packaging artwork.

UK DVD has correct disc menu UK title and on screen UK opening credits title card

UK Blu-ray if it get's a new release with new encoding will very likely have corrected UK title in disc menu and opening credits title on screen if Disney UK decide on a new remaster.

There is only one title for the UK/Ireland and is listed officially by Walt Disney themselves for the UK as Basil the Great Mouse Detective

I've yet to watch the disc but other members have confirmed its the UK disc and thus UK title on the screen...are you telling me this is not the case?

This thread is why I am most likely giving up this hobby and most likely this site. This has been incredulous. How many pages has it been discussed about the title? I am at the point of "I don't really care any more". It spoils the enjoyment for me now. I really like this steelbook, but hate it now because it reminds me of this bickering. I'm prepared for the backlash, but don't care any more.

If you’re giving up the hobby based on the harmless back and forth about what the proper title for a movie with 3 possible titles + 1 original working title, then maybe you’re in the wrong hobby?

I know I’ve mostly been having fun, I don’t think anyone has called anyone any names or insults. Just back and forth between a passionate fan base. If anything, the banter has made me appreciate this community more because of how civilized the debate has been, which is rare on the Internet. I know I’ve been wanting this movie in a steelbook for over 4 years, so I’m just happy it finally happened regardless of the right or wrong title depending on what country you’re in.

Reactions: DrH and paulboland
I've yet to watch the disc but other members have confirmed its the UK disc and thus UK title on the screen...are you telling me this is not the case?
UK Blu-ray Is the USA Blu-ray encode with UK title printed on the disc
UK Blu-ray from 2015 is same disc in the steelbook that was in UK Amaray

The UK Blu-ray is exact same as USA Blu-ray only difference is the UK title printed on the disc itself
UK Blu-ray disc menu and opening credit title card is what you see on USA Blu-ray

Disney UK have not done a UK encode for the UK Blu-ray like they have done previous for UK DVD and VHS releases
It may be corrected for later releases if a new encode is done for UK but I doubt that will happen anytime soon if at all

UK Blu-ray from 2015 is same disc in the steelbook

Disney UK have not done a UK encode for the UK Blu-ray like they have done previous for UK DVD and VHS releases

Interesting that they didn’t fix this problem from 3 years ago’s release. I wonder if Disney UK has decided to recognize the actual title moving forward ;)

• Haha
Reactions: paulboland
its discussed becuase, for some such as myself, it stops this release from being a great one. It ruins it to a point where am actually disappointed and had it not been for the fact I desire all Disney Classics on steel, I wouldnt have bothered with it.
It lessen's the overall finish, and nice embossing by having, to UK'er collector at least, a simple title mistake.

If you like it and title doesnt bother you then great, continue to love and enjoy it. Dont let a debate and others disappointment taint things for you(I dont - people are hating on the new JK Rowling movie but it isnt stopping me from wanting to see it again in 3D). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if you dont want to read the 'bickering'(I prefer, debate :) ) then scroll passed it. I do in threads when they go too negative or are discussing an aspect I'd rather not read about. Simple solutions :)

UK Blu-ray from 2015 is same disc in the steelbook

The UK Blu-ray is exact same as USA Blu-ray only difference is the UK title printed on the disc itself
Blu-ray disc menu and opening credit title card is what you see on USA Blu-ray

By encode you mean, print of the movie? So you are saying no UK editions have the correct UK title? (I've not purchased a UK copy of the movie since DVD)

• Thanks

Considering that many of us here are interested in the packaging (otherwise we'd buy amarays) it's not surprising that the title appearing on it has become such a talking point.

If the UK had used the US master for Avengers Assemble, I for one would have expected to see The Avengers on the spine (matching the on-screen titles). Ironically the title isn't on the Disney HMV steelbook I own at all. I suppose while we argue the merits of whether this should be Basil or just The Great Mouse Detective, it could be worse. We could be dealing with a whole set of classics with no titles on them at all.

If you’re giving up the hobby based on the harmless back and forth about what the proper title for a movie with 3 possible titles + 1 original working title, then maybe you’re in the wrong hobby?

I know I’ve mostly been having fun, I don’t think anyone has called anyone any names or insults. Just back and forth between a passionate fan base. If anything, the banter has made me appreciate this community more because of how civilized the debate has been, which is rare on the Internet. I know I’ve been wanting this movie in a steelbook for over 4 years, so I’m just happy it finally happened regardless of the right or wrong title depending on what country you’re in.
exactly.
I know its gotten heated and I'vepersonally gotten frustated at time, but I'd rather a passionate debate than nothing at all :)

Interesting that they didn’t fix this problem from 3 years ago’s release. I wonder if Disney UK has decided to recognize the actual title moving forward ;)

oi, dont start that again *bites tongue*
(lol)