Basil The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 5, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order October 13, at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £18.99

43694596_10155486462355146_7188007749907644416_n.jpg

11912758-1964617561447267.jpg 11912758-2114617561677169.jpg 11912758-1764617561752268.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some day you'll learn that the correct title is The Great Mouse Detective. If you wanted to make a case for Basil of Baker Street, then you'd have an argument. Anything else would be like me renaming you yeskay in the US. Until the day, I'll take joy in knowing you have to look at The Great Mouse Detective plastered across that beautiful SteelBook. :D
Steelbook is a Disney UK release
It's not a USA release
Correct title is on the Blu-ray disc and is why it has Basil The Great Mouse Detective
UK the official name of the film is Basil The Great Mouse Detective and that's why the Blu-ray Disc has that title
Disney UK Classics Canon list of films is what counts for all UK Disney Classics releases
Disney USA Classics Canon list does not apply to UK releases.

Someone at Disney UK made a mistake when designing the steelbook artwork using the USA title

All UK Disney Classics go by this list in terms of what film is a disney classic and what the title of film is and also what is the classic numbering applied
1 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2 Pinocchio
3 Fantasia
4 Dumbo
5 Bambi
6 Saludos Amigos
7 The Three Caballeros
8 Make Mine Music
9 Fun & Fancy Free
10 Melody Time
11 Ichabod & Mr Toad
12 Cinderella
13 Alice In Wonderland
14 Peter Pan
15 Lady & The Tramp
16 Sleeping Beauty
17 101 Dalmatians
18 The Sword in the Stone
19 The Jungle Book
20 The Aristocats
21 Robin Hood
22 The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
23 The Rescuers
24 The Fox & The Hound
25 The Black Cauldron
26 Basil The Great Mouse Detective
27 Oliver & Company
28 The Little Mermaid
29 Rescuers Down Under
30 Beauty & the Beast
31 Aladdin
32 The Lion King
33 Pocahontas
34 The Hunchback of Notre Dame
35 Hercules
36 Mulan
37 Tarzan
38 Fantasia 2000
39 The Emperor's New Groove
40 Atlantis: The Lost Empire

41 Lilo & Stitch
42 Treasure Planet
43 Brother Bear
44 Home On The Range
45 Chicken Little
46 The Wild
47 Meet The Robinsons
48 Bolt
49 The Princess & the Frog
50 Tangled
51 Wreck-It Ralph
52 Frozen
53 Big Hero 6
54 Zootropolis
55 Moana
56 Ralph Breaks The Internet

UK Blu-ray
81-xKBFicSL._SX342_.jpg
UK DVD
74148-1415385935-485175.jpg

UK VHS
51A5RTT79BL._SY445_.jpg

UK Poster
Basil-the-great-mouse-detective-original-uk-quad-film-poster-1986-vincent-price-walt-disney-57...jpg

Last edited:
You missed out '5 Bambi'! :)
Correct I was typing list in a rush my fault :rofl:

It's very straight forward Disney Europe messed up when designing the steelbook artwork and likey done by someone new working at Disney Europe who did not know there is a difference between US and UK Disney film titles

Wikipedia said:
Following the box office under-performance of the 1985 Paramount/Amblin film Young Sherlock Holmes, Eisner decided to rename Basil of Baker Street into The Great Mouse Detective feeling the name "Basil" was "too English".

So the real title is The Great Mouse Detective. That’s what it was officially changed to by the studio. Apparently most people involved didn’t like theTGMD title after working on Basil of Baker Street for so long. Basil was added to the new title for some international release, and the original home release was titled The Adventures of the Great Mouse Detective.

But the title wasn’t originally Basil The Great Mouse Detective and then they dropped the Basil from this title. The title IS The Great Mouse Detective, with Basil added to the title for some releases.

So it’s got 4 possible titles in Basil of Baker Street, The Great Mouse Detective, Basil The Great Mouse Detective, or The Adventures of The Great Mouse Detective.

Call it whatever you want to, but it’s title is The Great Mouse Detective.

Last edited:
Some day you'll learn that the correct title is The Great Mouse Detective. If you wanted to make a case for Basil of Baker Street, then you'd have an argument. Anything else would be like me renaming you yeskay in the US. Until the day, I'll take joy in knowing you have to look at The Great Mouse Detective plastered across that beautiful SteelBook. :D

Not really an argument, more a statement of a few facts:-
Just as an aside: nothing new of course about releasing films in different territories with different titles - granted, some better than others including STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN in the US instead of A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (1946) for the just post-wartime Brit classic or COLONEL BLIMP / THE ADVENTURES OF COLONEL BLIMP for a time in the US instead of THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP (1943) for another bona fide Brit classic . . . both US titles omitting the word DEATH sensitive to the period in which they were made/released . . . other title changes more problematic and no need to get into the SALAZAR'S REVENGE/DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES debacle.

Much rarer here, however, when the title is changed before the film is even released ...
TBH not bothered much by the title ... BUT ... no matter what anyone says there's a case that could be made for BASIL, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE as the title on the front of the UK steelbook:-

* All previous UK home video releases - from VHS onwards - have been titled thus. . . in the rest of Europe too

* BASIL, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE contains one word at least of the original BASIL OF BAKER STREET book title by Eve Titus on which after all this film is based - firmly anchoring the film in Sherlock Holmes territory i.e. 221B, Baker St., London, N.W.1.

* THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE or THE ADVENTURES OF ... is clearly modelled on the Brit character Sherlock Holmes - Basil as Sherlock and even the less important or as some have it the equally important figure of Dr. Dawson's spitting image of Dr. Watson - thinking in particular of Nigel Bruce's portrayal 'coincidentally' from the very same Basil Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films from late '1930s - early '40s that inspired the author.

* The BASIL part of the title paying homage to the greatest screen Sherlock Holmes of them all - and there have been literally dozens since 1900 (SHERLOCK HOLMES BAFFLED ) - Basil Rathbone - the actor who inspired the author and finds his way into this film both visually and audibly with a shadowy cameo appearance + a recording of his voice from one of the Sherlock Holmes short stories.

* Sherlock Holmes probably known the world over but still very much a British character in a mainly British setting created by a Scot and with a very Scottish style outer dress - a style of dress which I suspect even when the books were written during the late Victorian era would have been considered eccentric in the extreme for the urban streets of London . . . referring to his Harris Tweed Inverness Cape and Deerstalker Hat in particular. Conan Doyle's "Holmes" stories inspired by all over The British Isles and it's no secret (to me) that his five years spent at my alma mater in Lancashire was a great influence on the spooky settings of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" particularly the 'Yew Walk' for example.

* THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE title was ordered by the bosses for one reason and for one reason only - The name "Basil" was felt to be too English and after the under-performance of YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES the year before (and the failure of their own THE BLACK CAULDRON) Disney were not prepared to take the risk and decided to go for something generic which wouldn't alienate the home crowd.

* THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE was far from a popular title amongst the people that made the actual film and the memo they came up with included similar style satirical generic title changes for many of the best loved Disney classics.

Only one thing wrong with this film adaptation and that's the pipe - no calabash in the original stories and no calabash in the Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce films (lol).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DrH and dfoles
It's not a USA release
Correct title is on the Blu-ray disc and is why it has Basil The Great Mouse Detective
UK the official name of the film is Basil The Great Mouse Detective and that's why the Blu-ray Disc has that title
Disney UK Classics Canon list of films is what counts for all UK Disney Classics releases

Someone at Disney UK made a mistake when designing the steelbook artwork using the USA title

All UK Disney Classics go by this list in terms of what film is a disney classic and what the title of film is and also what is the classic numbering applied
2 Pinocchio
3 Fantasia
4 Dumbo
5 Bambi
6 Saludos Amigos
7 The Three Caballeros
8 Make Mine Music
9 Fun & Fancy Free
10 Melody Time
11 Ichabod & Mr Toad
12 Cinderella
13 Alice In Wonderland
14 Peter Pan
15 Lady & The Tramp
16 Sleeping Beauty
17 101 Dalmatians
19 The Jungle Book
20 The Aristocats
21 Robin Hood
23 The Rescuers
24 The Fox & The Hound
25 The Black Cauldron
27 Oliver & Company
28 The Little Mermaid
29 Rescuers Down Under
30 Beauty & the Beast
31 Aladdin
32 The Lion King
33 Pocahontas
35 Hercules
36 Mulan
37 Tarzan
38 Fantasia 2000

41 Lilo & Stitch
42 Treasure Planet
43 Brother Bear
44 Home On The Range
45 Chicken Little
46 The Wild
47 Meet The Robinsons
48 Bolt
50 Tangled
51 Wreck-It Ralph
52 Frozen
53 Big Hero 6
54 Zootropolis
55 Moana

UK Blu-ray
View attachment 402828
UK DVD
View attachment 402831

UK VHS
View attachment 402829

UK Poster
View attachment 402830
Great detective work in itself dear Watson.

Except for one point. On UK iTunes it's also titled simply The Great Mouse Detective.

• Haha
Reactions: dfoles
I don't think it matters either. It was clearly a mistake on the designers of the steelbook which none caught on. I can understand the flack if a word had been spelt wrong but getting the title wrong because none checked or even knew. Not a hanging offence in my book. Annoying? Yes But a candidate for hanging? No.......

SOOOOO not comparable.
My username has never changed or been altered depending on region or for ANY reason - but the correct name for this movis is whats on the disc.

The lazy USA rehashed artwork Zavvi chose to use(or were told to use, either way) is the issue and highly misleading.
PLUS as detailed by other posters, the original name for the movie, included Basil. It was CHANGED, in the US and a few other regions, to The Great Mouse Detective.

POint is, regardless of which classic list followed or which title prefered, etc, it is, at the end of the day, wrong, for a UK release to not inlcude the 'Basil' name/word. Simple as that really. Ergo, its the incorrect title being used

It's not a USA release

2 Pinocchio
3 Fantasia
4 Dumbo
5 Bambi
6 Saludos Amigos
7 The Three Caballeros
8 Make Mine Music
9 Fun & Fancy Free
10 Melody Time
11 Ichabod & Mr Toad
12 Cinderella
13 Alice In Wonderland
14 Peter Pan
15 Lady & The Tramp
16 Sleeping Beauty
17 101 Dalmatians
19 The Jungle Book
20 The Aristocats
21 Robin Hood
23 The Rescuers
24 The Fox & The Hound
25 The Black Cauldron
27 Oliver & Company
28 The Little Mermaid
29 Rescuers Down Under
30 Beauty & the Beast
31 Aladdin
32 The Lion King
33 Pocahontas
35 Hercules
36 Mulan
37 Tarzan
38 Fantasia 2000

41 Lilo & Stitch
42 Treasure Planet
43 Brother Bear
44 Home On The Range
45 Chicken Little
46 The Wild
47 Meet The Robinsons
48 Bolt
50 Tangled
51 Wreck-It Ralph
52 Frozen
53 Big Hero 6
54 Zootropolis
55 Moana

UK Blu-ray
View attachment 402828
UK DVD
View attachment 402831

UK VHS
View attachment 402829

UK Poster
View attachment 402830
AND...here's evidence/fact proving its the wrong name being used

Reactions: paulboland
The lazy USA rehashed artwork Zavvi chose to use(or were told to use, either way) is the issue and highly misleading.
PLUS as detailed by other posters, the original name for the movie, included Basil. It was CHANGED, in the US and a few other regions, to The Great Mouse Detective.

1. The working title was Basil of Baker Street
2. It was changed to The Great Mouse Detective.
3. Basil was added as a prefix to the actual title for some international releases. Remember Disney is first and foremost a US based company.

I’m sure I can find every poster that @paulboland posted without Basil in the title, but I’m on my phone and don’t care to.

Edit: 3/4, and the one I couldn’t find uses artwork that is seemingly only for the UK Blu-ray release
B7A73B10-3AE2-4E06-8CA4-A570AA980C3E.jpeg

81DAB98C-B2D5-42C7-A4E9-5481BF95F261.jpeg

7A8FBBC9-DC1D-4E48-83E8-0A1578669181.jpeg

Last edited:
3. Basil was added as a prefix to the actual title for some international releases. Remember Disney is first and foremost a US based company.

I’m sure I can find every poster that @paulboland posted without Basil in the title, but I’m on my phone and don’t care to.

Edit: 3/4, and the one I couldn’t find uses artwork that is seemingly only for the UK Blu-ray release
View attachment 402886
View attachment 402884
View attachment 402885
Those images you posted are not UK/Ireland poster/home media images

This Steelbook release is a release from Disney UK/Ireland and given to Zavvi as an exclusive to sell
Zavvi is a UK retailer which means they sell UK Blu-ray and DVD Discs
This is why the Blu-ray Disc inside the steelbook has Basil The Great Mouse Detective printed on the disc itself as it's a release from Disney UK/Ireland

USA disney title is not relevant to the UK Home Media releases if UK/Ireland title is different
UK/Ireland Disney Classics Home Media releases go by Disney UK Classics Canon only

If this had of been a steelbook release from Disney USA instead of Disney UK/Ireland then yes The Great Mouse Detective would have been correct title on the steelbook but it's not a USA Steelbook release.

The UK/Ireland title is Basil The Great Mouse Detective and as this steelbook is a UK release that is what should have been on the steelbook as all previous UK/Ireland Home Media releases be it VHS/DVD/Blu-ray has that title.
I posted images of those UK/Ireland home media releases in post # 221

The Blu-ray Disc inside the Steelbook has Basil The Great Mouse Detective printed on the disc there is a reason why it does Hint Hint :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
Here is something some younger USA members might not be aware about

Disney changed the title in 1992 for USA cinema re-release and first time home media VHS release
It was changed in USA to The Adventures of the Great Mouse Detective for its 1992 USA theatrical re-release and first USA Home Media VHS release and later DVD releases
It was not until 2010 the USA Mystery in the Mist Edition release on DVD and 2012 USA Blu-ray that the USA home media release used the original USA 1986 title card in the opening credits as The Great Mouse Detective
Before the USA 2010 DVD and 2012 Blu-ray USA releases all previous USA Home Media VHS/Laserdisc/DVD releases used the title card in opening credits as The Adventures of the Great Mouse Detective.

USA 1992 Re-release Trailer

UK VHS 1992 VHS Home Media Trailer

All UK/Ireland Home Media releases VHS/DVD/Blu-ray etc since the first UK home media on VHS in 1992 kept the UK title Basil The Great Mouse Detective until this steelbook release but the steelbook still has the 2015 UK Blu-ray disc itself inside with Basil The Great Mouse Detective printed on the disc.
The UK Blu-ray from 2015 opening credits uses the USA title card from the 2012 USA Blu-ray this is a mistake that has not been corrected but may corrected in later Disney UK Blu-ray re-releases.

UK DVD releases still has opening credits card as Basil The Great Mouse Detective

Reactions: DrH
I agree that it's no big deal - it's a very nice steelbook, and the film itself is the same whatever.

But it IS a bit sloppy, and grates a bit - rather like people using "should of" instead of "should have" or "should've" (it's because we SAY "should've" which SOUNDS like "should of", but is the contraction of "should have"... End of grammar lesson!). :D;)

View attachment 402886
View attachment 402884
View attachment 402885

re-read your second point...it CHANGED

Exactly what I stated in my prior post.
Glad we agree ;)

Seriously though, regardless to what anyone believes the right or wrong title to be here, the one used on this steel is 100%, factually incorrect for a UK release. Its never been known, sold or marketed in the UK without the full version of the title - Basil The Great Mouse Detective.
These are fact's that are stupid to ignore, dismiss or argue to be untrue.

Also, as pointed out, the pic's are not the UK editions, just the changed USA title over universal marketing material.

re-read your second point...it CHANGED

Exactly what I stated in my prior post.
Glad we agree ;)

Seriously though, regardless to what anyone believes the right or wrong title to be here, the one used on this steel is 100%, factually incorrect for a UK release. Its never been known, sold or marketed in the UK without the full version of the title - Basil The Great Mouse Detective.
These are fact's that are stupid to ignore, dismiss or argue to be untrue.

Also, as pointed out, the pic's are not the UK editions, just the changed USA title over universal marketing material.
...except on UK iTunes.

...except on UK iTunes.
iTunes is not physical media format and is a USA company for streaming and downloading to apple devices
UK iTunes is just a Country/Region version and is using the USA Digital file they not done a UK digital version

Look at the actual physical UK DVD Disc or UK Blu-ray Disc if you have either of them
Basil The Great The Mouse Detective is printed on the UK discs for a reason

The reason Basil The Great Mouse Detective is printed on UK DVD/Blu-ray discs is that's the official title in the UK
It has been the title in UK since the 1986 UK cinema release and also used on the first UK home media release since 1992
It's also the title in a few other european countries

All UK DVD and Blu-ray Amaray releases has Basil The Great Mouse Detective as the title in the artwork
UK VHS has same

This UK steelbook has the wrong title regardless if anyone cares or not about it

If this had of been a Steelbook release from Best Buy in USA then The Great Mouse Detective would have been correct but it's not a USA steelbook release

It's a release from Disney UK/Ireland sold from a UK retailer with UK Blu-ray inside
A mistake was made in designing the artwork by Disney Europe and I'm surprised it was not corrected before release

Zavvi even on Twitter admitted the title should be Basil The Great Mouse Detective on the steelbook
The Steelbook listing on their website has the correct title

UK/Ireland VHS and DVD releases has the UK title in the opening credits title card at the start of the film
UK 2015 Blu-ray used the USA 2012 Blu-ray file which is why it has US opening credits title card by an error as they did not do a seperate encoding for UK release
This may be corrected in later UK Blu-ray releases by Disney UK to use UK opening credits title card

Why was the title changed for USA

The original Basil of Baker Street, a title that the animators loved, was perceived as ‘too British’ by the marketing team and would ‘alienate’ American audiences.

(Yes God forbid a film inspired by Sherlock Holmes is too British – that’s just madness!)

Vice President of Walt Disney Feature Animation, Peter Schneider announced that they had changed the name to The Great Mouse Detective for USA , much to the fury of the team (although as you can see by our title, it is Basil the Great Mouse Detective in the UK and Ireland).

Walt Disney Company have the UK title officially listed as Basil The Great Mouse Detective

Reactions: yeslek
...except on UK iTunes.
...which is American, thus they often use the US versions of things on there so its not surprising.
Point is, its not marketed by Disney on there, its Apple's choice of title which would be native to them(I've seen them do it with albums in the past)

The UK release is whats correctly printed on the DISC of said steelbook.

iTunes is not physical media format and is a USA company for streaming and downloading to apple devices
UK iTunes is just a Country/Region version and is using the USA Digital file they not done a UK digital version

Look at the actual physical UK DVD Disc or UK Blu-ray Disc if you have either of them
Basil The Great The Mouse Detective is printed on the UK discs for a reason

The reason Basil The Great Mouse Detective is printed on UK DVD/Blu-ray discs is that's the official title in the UK
It has been the title in UK since the 1986 UK cinema release and also used on the first UK home media release since 1992
It's also the title in a few other european countries

All UK DVD and Blu-ray Amaray releases has Basil The Great Mouse Detective as the title in the artwork
UK VHS has same

This UK steelbook has the wrong title regardless if anyone cares or not about it

If this had of been a Steelbook release from Best Buy in USA then The Great Mouse Detective would have been correct but it not a USA steelbook release

It's a release from Disney UK/Ireland sold from a UK retailer with UK Blu-ray inside
A mistake was made in designing the artwork by Disney Europe and I'm surprised it was not corrected before release

Zavvi even on Twitter admitted the title should be Basil The Great Mouse Detective on the steelbook
The Steelbook listing on their website has the correct title

UK/Ireland VHS and DVD releases has the UK title in the opening credits title card at the start of the film
UK 2015 Blu-ray used the USA 2012 Blu-ray file which is why it has US opening credits title card by an error as they did not do a seperate encoding for UK release
This may be corrected in later UK Blu-ray releases by Disney UK to use UK opening credits title card

Why was the title changed for USA

The original Basil of Baker Street, a title that the animators loved, was perceived as ‘too British’ by the marketing team and would ‘alienate’ American audiences.

(Yes God forbid a film inspired by Sherlock Holmes is too British – that’s just madness!)

Vice President of Walt Disney Feature Animation, Peter Schneider announced that they had changed the name to The Great Mouse Detective for USA , much to the fury of the team (although as you can see by our title, it is Basil the Great Mouse Detective in the UK and Ireland).

Walt Disney Company have the UK title officially listed as Basil The Great Mouse Detective
all this ... especially the bolded