Captain America: The First Avenger (4K + Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release date: February 26, 2019
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $34.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

6316076_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000.jpeg

Thanks to @Leprekon for the heads up

Last edited by a moderator:

Just to name a few, the contrast is too high on the new one. I see what they were trying to do, they were trying to highlight the shadows and by doing so they washed out the image. Look at Cap's face on the new one, it's way too bright with no color too it. The white of the fire blends in with Peggy Carter's blouse too much and you almost can't distinguish between the two. Cap's BDU's are too bright blue on the new one, BDU's are not that bright of blue. Also the back of the second one is much better. If they had only used the same tonal contrast as the first one and then thrown in the flag it could have been an even greater looking steelbook.

Someone on reddit pointed out the line going from the left of the steel to Capt's face and now I can't unsee it.

Went to Best Buy early to secure my copy of the steelbook and did not like it in person- ended up going with the shiny standard edition :shipped:

Hope this gets restocked sometime soon, none of the BestBuys in my entire state have stock to exchange for my copy that arrived bent last Saturday. :ohno:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY one (1) was finally made available about an hour from me. Order placed, will pick it up tomorrow and hope it's not damaged, and return the damaged one too.

Phew.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
Looks gorgeous with lovely colours, interesting distressed back, cream frame, the flag and vintage vibe . . . just wondering what'll be the difference (if any) in finish between this one and the one some of us will be getting in the UK?

Pic DVDFantasium:-
D05-OVjX0AEZEqo.jpg

The fact that all three are in a similar style is a real treat.

Very handsome trio without a doubt ... UK steels hopefully as nice in-hand.

Pic courtesy DVDFantasium:-
1556133912298.png

At least all 3 steelbooks have those dark marks / slashes in the same place on the cream frame.

• Thanks
Reactions: St4rlord
Well, my copies from @apsmith21 arrived today.
Sadly all of them are somewhat damaged, the worst being "the first avenger" with a big dent on the back and a small one on the front. Luckily, for this one I still have a copy from zavvi on its way to me. The other two however I had canceled a few weeks ago :dunno:
Looks like I will have to order them again if they come back in stock.
Nevertheless thanks for the group buy.:thumbs:

Well, my copies from @apsmith21 arrived today.
Sadly all of them are somewhat damaged, the worst being "the first avenger" with a big dent on the back and a small one on the front. Luckily, for this one I still have a copy from zavvi on its way to me. The other two however I had canceled a few weeks ago :dunno:
Looks like I will have to order them again if they come back in stock.
Nevertheless thanks for the group buy.:thumbs:
Damage under the jcard or damaged in shipping??

Damage under the jcard or damaged in shipping??
The big dent on the back was under jcard and the dents on the front I also only noticed after opening. Before opening them I only noticed the dented corners which weren't that bad.
So I guess they were damaged before shipping as the package was fine. Best buy must handel their steels like :BS:

• Informative
Reactions: StifflersDad
The big dent on the back was under jcard and the dents on the front I also only noticed after opening. Before opening them I only noticed the dented corners which weren't that bad.
So I guess they were damaged before shipping as the package was fine. Best buy must handel their steels like :BS:

Sure but it would be nice if they were inspected closely before shipping through a GB though.
Similar to the Avengers 4K SteelBooks I received. Obvious visible spine slash on one and an obvious visible huge dent that runs the width of the SteelBook on the bottom front of the other. Both are still sealed.

As far as dents under J-cards on the backs of steels, they can usually easily be detected by running your fingers across the J-card.
I do that with every SteelBook.

Sure but it would be nice if they were inspected closely before shipping through a GB though.
Similar to the Avengers 4K SteelBooks I received. Obvious visible spine slash on one and an obvious visible huge dent that runs the width of the SteelBook on the bottom front of the other. Both are still sealed.
And they were from a HDN GB??