UK
Release date: May 31, 2021
Purchase links: Zavvi - Amazon UK
Price: £29.99

91kSrRhYtmS._AC_SY445_.jpg

81zIzF4ChHS._AC_SX522_.jpg
91CvfCHKOJS._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don’t they make steelbooks like this? Crazy.
I'm wondering if he was actually tasked to create a design for a steelbook (DVDs don't use wraparound artwork like that and I get the impression he doesn't know what a steelbook even is lol), but it got rejected by Lionsgate for whatever reason.

Reactions: Retro Parrot
How are they biased?

They're flawed, no doubt, but they just aggregate reviews. They don't publish their own.
You are correct, they dont publish. But they have control over the aggregate score and it can be manipulated to their liking to affect the overall score. Obviously not every movie score is fake or controlled, but some are. Hence I trust nothing from that site.

You are correct, they dont publish. But they have control over the aggregate score and it can be manipulated to their liking to affect the overall score. Obviously not every movie score is fake or controlled, but some are. Hence I trust nothing from that site.
What scores have been manipulated and what proof is there?

The Tomatometer works based on whether a critic recommends a movie or not. Then they work out an average score based on what scores reviews give it if they give them, it's a flawed system, but I see no manipulation.

The Tomatometer works based on whether a critic recommends a movie or not. Then they work out an average score based on what scores reviews give it if they give them, it's a flawed system, but I see no manipulation.
It's a little tricky to take, say, a 750-word review and turn it into an all-or-nothing positive-or-negative verdict. Sometimes even the quotes that they pull out for the RT list seem mostly negative, but the review is rated as positive (or vice versa). So even aside from outright fixing of scores (and I have no idea if that happens), it's statistically imprecise. That said, however, when a movie is rated as 30% or lower, something's probably wrong.

It's a little tricky to take, say, a 750-word review and turn it into an all-or-nothing positive-or-negative verdict. Sometimes even the quotes that they pull out for the RT list seem mostly negative, but the review is rated as positive (or vice versa). So even aside from outright fixing of scores (and I have no idea if that happens), it's statistically imprecise. That said, however, when a movie is rated as 30% or lower, something's probably wrong.
I believe reviewers can ask them to change certain things if they want though.

For example, lets say there are 10 critics and 5 of them give a thumbs up or "recommends" a movie. So it will be a 50% rating. If you remove/dont include 2 of the thumbs down reviews, then the rating becomes 62.5%. Which doesnt represent the actual numbers. Of course this can be vice versa. You can not include "thumbs up" and it will bring the rating lower. Also, because its either a thumbs down/thumps up type of system, generally people will give it a "thumbs up" if they rated it anything above 2 out of 5 stars. This is why I say I would not trust the rating system. I think it's misrepresenting.

As for proof, there are some videos on YT I've seen where they show screen shots of before and after. Dont know if they been removed or not but I'd suggest you do a simple search and watch a few. Couple of movies that's been messed with come to mind are Captain Marvel and Star Wars (I think it was Rise of Skywalker?). Of course its both from Disney :rofl: I'm not saying there is a conspiracy but take from that what you will.

why is it £29 though?

The trailer gives far too much away. you can tell by the trailer alone that the film is not very good.

Its the sort of film I would watch on Netflix, but not want to own.

Reactions: astycorax
For example, lets say there are 10 critics and 5 of them give a thumbs up or "recommends" a movie. So it will be a 50% rating. If you remove/dont include 2 of the thumbs down reviews, then the rating becomes 62.5%. Which doesnt represent the actual numbers. Of course this can be vice versa. You can not include "thumbs up" and it will bring the rating lower. Also, because its either a thumbs down/thumps up type of system, generally people will give it a "thumbs up" if they rated it anything above 2 out of 5 stars. This is why I say I would not trust the rating system. I think it's misrepresenting.

As for proof, there are some videos on YT I've seen where they show screen shots of before and after. Dont know if they been removed or not but I'd suggest you do a simple search and watch a few. Couple of movies that's been messed with come to mind are Captain Marvel and Star Wars (I think it was Rise of Skywalker?). Of course its both from Disney :rofl: I'm not saying there is a conspiracy but take from that what you will.
That doesn't sound like bias but them adjusting their system depending on the circumstances.

Why would they want to favour any movie?

They're owned by WB and NBC and yet that doesn't stop many WB movies from getting bad scores or NBC shows.
If they want to favor any movie they can, is all I'm saying :) Regardless who 'owns' it; I think it's much more complicated than that and not to mention way off topic here. PM me if you wanna continue this convo. :thumbs:

If they want to favor any movie they can, is all I'm saying :) Regardless who 'owns' it; I think it's much more complicated than that and not to mention way off topic here. PM me if you wanna continue this convo. :thumbs:
Just sounds like a strange conspiracy theory. RT, in your eyes, can manipulate a score to make a movie look better or worse in peoples eyes and yet the companies that own them have their own products looking bad plenty of the time.

And the only proof is some guys on YouTube. Disney is one of WB biggest competitors and yet most Dinsey products have very good scores on RT. Why would they want to favour their competitors and not their own products?

Or maybe there's simply is no bias and it's just a flawed system that people constantly misunderstand.