Companies ever stop steelbooks?

Jun 28, 2012
Do you think companies will ever stop selling steelbooks because they are not overly popular (not collectors) especially in the UK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would make it easier for the completists though if they stopped producing the, TODAY! With the current trend I'd rather suspect that there will be a steelbook for EVERY movie soon...

I suppose UK sites like play.com are pretty profitable with them but It would be awful to see them go

There will never be a steelbook for every movie nor even half ;)

Steelbooks were around during dvd days and ps2 .... so I'm sure they'll keep on....

They won't stop producting steelbooks because they are getting alot of money from them.

But I hope they would not make them so often so they would become somewhat special again. Play.com especially has destroyed their speciality in my opinion. But I am still buying them if the artwork is good.

They have been around for a long time and I'm sure they will be in the future. There is always a market for collectible packaging and a lot of people like the premium feel you get with a Steelbook.

They won't stop producting steelbooks because they are getting alot of money from them.

But I hope they would not make them so often so they would become somewhat special again. Play.com especially has destroyed their speciality in my opinion. But I am still buying them if the artwork is good.

Play.com has been a steelbook collector advocate ... they stopped an exact reprint of the IM FS and same with Zombieland ... they've also taken some titles and made them exclusive to them and allowed us to know qty as opposed to the title going UK wide ... which then it could have had same art and qty .... trust me, Play is one of the few things out there helping this hobby whether anyone wants to believe or not. just saying...

DVD steelbooks were around alright, but never as popular as with BluRay I think. If I go to Media Markt today, there are about a hundred different BR steelbooks available and very prominently displayed, amazon.de has their own product section for BR steelbooks and so on... Of course there won't be steelbooks for every movie or even half, but especially the recent 100th anniversary editions by MM showed everybody that they are pushing the limits a bit by releasing things like "State of Play", "Repo Men",.... as well...

They have been around for a long time and I'm sure they will be in the future. There is always a market for collectible packaging and a lot of people like the premium feel you get with a Steelbook.

Why would they stop, they don't lose money and they earn a lot.

They'll stop making steelbooks when opticals discs will disappear. :D Unfortunately, it will one day.

DVD steelbooks were around alright, but never as popular as with BluRay I think. If I go to Media Markt today, there are about a hundred different BR steelbooks available and very prominently displayed, amazon.de has their own product section for BR steelbooks and so on... Of course there won't be steelbooks for every movie or even half, but especially the recent 100th anniversary editions by MM showed everybody that they are pushing the limits a bit by releasing things like "State of Play", "Repo Men",.... as well...

Yeah, I never really saw that many steelbooks back in the DVD days. I don't there were that many released. I did however pick up a few. V For Vendetta (Korea), Ghost In The Shell 2 (Japan) etc.

I think steelbooks will be around as long as there is a demand and we keep paying for them :)

Steelbooks will continue to be produced with retail advocates like Play. But I can see why there is confusion on the future of steelbooks. Look at the threads on the recent Play releases and see the frequency and depth of the complaints even for some of the more outstanding releases. Until collectors, old and new, learn the difference between a well produced steelbook (design, type of packaging/slipcover, content, etc) and expected production issues (manufacturing, wrapping, delivery, etc), retailers/studios are going to hear and see conflicting messages about the reception of their product.

Reactions: Sigill
Steelbooks will continue to be produced with retail advocates like Play. But I can see why there is confusion on the future of steelbooks. Look at the threads on the recent Play releases and see the frequency and depth of the complaints even for some of the more outstanding releases. Until collectors, old and new, learn the difference between a well produced steelbook (design, type of packaging/slipcover, content, etc) and expected production issues (manufacturing, wrapping, delivery, etc), retailers/studios are going to hear and see conflicting messages about the reception of their product.

True, but sometimes it's kind of hard to know what the final product will look like. Just take the Armageddon, Con Air, The Rock and Die Hard steelbooks.

I think we all expected something more out of them!