Dark City (Blu-ray SteelBook) [France]

May 11, 2013
France
Release date: October 11, 2017
Purchase links: FNAC - Amazon
Price: €14.99 (FNAC) - €15.05 (Amazon)

1507-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is the same blu-ray published by Metropolitan a few years ago (certainly), the various tests carried out on this blu-ray agree that Metropolitan did an exceptional job on the image.
Are you saying the French Director's Cut disc has a better PQ than the US DNR-fest? I heard they were identical.

Last edited:
Are you saying the French Director's Cut disc has a better PQ than the US DNR-fest? I heard they were identical.
I simply report what I have read from various tests. Here is one (translated text via google trad):
Image:
more cult than Dark City, you die (well almost, it's not the only film of the genre, but a pearl of the kind!). So, after Blu-ray releases quite disastrous (unedited in France), we were as curious as it was funny to see what Dark movie had been massacred with the chainsaw by Metropolitan France ...

It is at Metropolitan Video that has returned the honor of publishing Dark City on our soil. The editor was reputed to be uncompromising about the quality of the HD masters, and their work by the laboratories, we were reassured.

In the field, we are in awe of telling you that the image of Dark City is remarkable. One feels, of course, that the original master HD is good, but that Metropolitan has optimized it with class. The dive is just sublime (details of the faces, pores of the skin, light veins of the eyes of Rufus), the scenes that were very (too) dark were uncorked, we finally see something while keeping a very high ratio Contrast (rare, what alchemy!).

Of course, a noise reducer is sometimes in the corner, and we also realize that a slight "Edge Enhancer" is in the part (accentuation of the relief of the image), but all this is done with class. The colorimetry of origin, genial, passing from the ocher to the blue passing of the dominant green, is just a treat. Dark City has never been as beautiful as this Blu-ray film in perfect condition, which leaves the viewer ecstatically enjoying a work as beautiful as dark and flippant. Shock!

Audio:
Blu-ray: VO in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and VF in DTS-HD MA 5.1. Here is a publisher who knows how to make Blu-ray adapted to the hexagon, thus meeting the expectations of fans of this visionary work.

The two audio tracks run on the same bases, but differ in their operation of the surround channels depending on the scenes. Sometimes, the VF seems more open on the back, then, on other sequences, the VO takes over. More generally, the OV offers a more generous sound than the VF, but quite frankly, the two audio tracks do not lack breath: beautiful spatialization of the music, serious purring during sequences of metamorphosis of the city (Wow!), Surround effects in the city, well centered dialogues, noises of alien jabs, and a beautiful dynamic.

• Thanks
Reactions: StifflersDad
Definitely best choice of art - always loved the Director's Cut artwork used on the amaray/DVD releases. Like that price too ;)
Just add a cheeky bit of embossing on the title please :hungry::hungry:

• Thanks
Reactions: milky
Of the available artwork, they chose the best cover for a steel. I'd love it if the back surprises us--picture of Rufus and/or Jennifer? Shell Beach postcard?

But it'll probably be blank, with the text "Sleep, now" or something.