Digital Comics - Marvel Unlimited , Comixology etc.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Which ones? Do you like the way they interface? Chime in!

Attachments

• best_comics_buying_app_ipad_marvel_dc.jpg
    best_comics_buying_app_ipad_marvel_dc.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 277
I used comics x. Their interface is nice and they have plenty of selection. You can select a page and it will break the sections and segments for easy read.

I use Smash - Comic and Manga Reader. It's also optimized for the iPad 3 Retina Display. Very nicely laid out and very enjoyable to read your comics on.

Here's some screenies. It's $3.99 in the iStore.
mzl.gabynhsg.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.qfuhzdqq.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.avmwpocr.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.flrvmfar.480x480-75.jpg

I found there video displaying the app. Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nook Color and it has a built-in app. Drawback, though minor, is that it only plays CBZ, but I use Comicrack to convert CBR to CBZ.

Also, have the original Ipad.

Way too many comics to read nowadays.

I am using Marvel app more nowadays, they had the a few collections sets for 8-10 so I bought a few. It's a decent app. When they accept the subscription I'll use their app more often than now.

I started using 'Comics' by ComiXology a few days ago and like it better than Smash Comic and Manga Reader. The In-Store feature is second to none. It's also optimized for the Retina Display on the iPad 3.

IMG_0041.png

IMG_0042.png

IMG_0043.png

IMG_0044.png

IMG_0045.png

IMG_0046.png

IMG_0047.png

The only drawback to this is it's just like the Marvel comic app, there's a store to purchase and download your favorite comics but it does not support app syncing through iTunes. In other words, if you have a whole bunch of .cbr files (which are comic files) you can't load them into this app.

The other app that I used called 'Smash' comic and manga reader did support .cbr files along with a few other formats as well. So it seems that if you want to sync your own comics you will need one type of app and if you want to download and pay for comics within the app itself you would need a separate app all together.

This evening I did some investigating on which apps are the best comic viewers that support app syncing and came across 'Comic Zeal' which is very nice, has some of the best ratings for comic viewers in the app store and has Retina Display support. It seems to be even better than 'Smash' comics and manga reader. I'm going to try it out and report back later what I think. :D

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the same thing, but I had some downloaded to my PSPGO and they were excellent. The best ones were Marvel Zombies, they should defo make this series into a movie franchise!

I use Smash - Comic and Manga Reader. It's also optimized for the iPad 3 Retina Display. Very nicely laid out and very enjoyable to read your comics on.

Here's some screenies. It's $3.99 in the iStore.
mzl.gabynhsg.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.qfuhzdqq.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.avmwpocr.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.flrvmfar.480x480-75.jpg

I found there video displaying the app. Check it out.

I started using 'Comics' by ComiXology a few days ago and like it better than Smash Comic and Manga Reader. The In-Store feature is second to none. It's also optimized for the Retina Display on the iPad 3.

IMG_0041.png

IMG_0042.png

IMG_0043.png

IMG_0044.png

IMG_0045.png

IMG_0046.png

IMG_0047.png

The only drawback to this is it's just like the Marvel comic app, there's a store to purchase and download your favorite comics but it does not support app syncing through iTunes. In other words, if you have a whole bunch of .cbr files (which are comic files) you can't load them into this app.

The other app that I used called 'Smash' comic and manga reader did support .cbr files along with a few other formats as well. So it seems that if you want to sync your own comics you will need one type of app and if you want to download and pay for comics within the app itself you would need a separate app all together.

This evening I did some investigating on which apps are the best comic viewers that support app syncing and came across 'Comic Zeal' which is very nice, has some of the best ratings for comic viewers in the app store and has Retina Display support. It seems to be even better than 'Smash' comics and manga reader. I'm going to try it out and report back later what I think. :D

I have the comiXology app as well and I love it to death. Like you said, though, it's unfortunate that you can't upload comics from other sources to it. I'd like to upload some issues of comic books that I know will never make it on to the comiXology release schedule (or at least not sometime soon) such Generation X and Darkhawk. This Comic Zeal sounds intriguing. So it'll show CBR files on Apple devices then, correct? I may have to download that app.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I had some downloaded to my PSPGO and they were excellent. The best ones were Marvel Zombies, they should defo make this series into a movie franchise!

Unfortunately this'll never happen due to the fact that; A) the movie rights to Marvel's characters are all over the place, and B) anything starring someone like Spider-Man or the Avengers would have to be rated no higher than PG-13 and be semi-kid friendly. With that said, they could always make a DTV Marvel Animation adaptation of Marvel Zombies. That'd be :scat: !

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the comiXology app as well and I love it to death. Like you said, though, it's unfortunate that you can't upload comics from other sources to it. I'd like to upload some issues of comic books that I know will never make it on to the comiXology release schedule (or at least not sometime soon) such Generation X and Darkhawk. This Comic Zeal sounds intriguing. So it'll show CBR files on Apple devices then, correct? I may have to download that app.

Forget what I said about Comic Zeal, I have officially tried all the comic file apps in the iStore and the best of the best is by far ComicGlass. It not only looks better but is better. It also has more settings than you can shake a stick at for customization. It renders the graphics in ComicGlass faster than Comic Zeal does too. Too bad I can't get my money back for the ones I didn't like. Anyways here are some screen captures of it too.

IMG_0061.png

IMG_0062.png

IMG_0060.png

IMG_0063.png

IMG_0064.png

Forget what I said about Comic Zeal, I have officially tried all the comic file apps in the iStore and the best of the best is by far ComicGlass. It not only looks better but is better. It also has more settings than you can shake a stick at for customization. It renders the graphics in ComicGlass faster than Comic Zeal does too. Too bad I can't get my money back for the ones I didn't like. Anyways here are some screen captures of it too.

IMG_0061.png

IMG_0062.png

IMG_0060.png

IMG_0063.png

IMG_0064.png

Damn, that looks sharp! And I just bought Comic Zeal this morning!!! :angry:

Oh well, maybe I'll still give it a shot and see what I think. If I don't like it, I'll definitely buy ComicGlass. Thanks for the info!!! :)

I have been using the comiXology app as well on my Kindle Fire and the comics look great! I don't read them as much as I wish. Anyone suggest any good reads? I'm open to anything

If you want superheroes, the best book out there today is Invincible. As for the "big 2", I'd go with Wonder Woman, Batman or Justice League from DC and Daredevil, Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man or Wolverine and the X-Men from Marvel.

If you want anything but superheroes, I highly recommend The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Saucer Country, Mind the Gap, Atomic Robo and my absolute favourite comic series of all time (even though it currently unavailable through comiXology), Y: The Last Man.

Reactions: NonProfitGnome
If you want superheroes, the best book out there today is Invincible. As for the "big 2", I'd go with Wonder Woman, Batman or Justice League from DC and Daredevil, Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man or Wolverine and the X-Men from Marvel.

If you want anything but superheroes, I highly recommend The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Saucer Country, Mind the Gap, Atomic Robo and my absolute favourite comic series of all time (even though it currently unavailable through comiXology), Y: The Last Man.

Just checked out Invincible and Atomic Robo. Both are excellent! Thanlks a lot

Reactions: tridon
For the comiXology fans out there, they have a 50%-off sale on THE STUFF OF LEGEND this weekend and I can not recommended this series enough! Gorgeous artwork and an incredible story that I can only describe as a mature-rated Labyrinth.