Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
2.67 star(s) Rating: 2.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Doctor Strange 2

Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Action

Director: Scott Derrickson

Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olsen, Benedict Wong, Tilda Swinton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams

Release: 2021-05-31

Plot: The sequel to Doctor Strange (2016).

Reactions: Drum18 and Basil

giphy.gif

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Drum18 and vexred
This was the one marvel film I’m looking forward to most in this new phase and that was because of the proposed horror element.
Then when derrickson left I was pretty p*ssed because it was clearly marvel and fiege too scared to tread new waters. And with Derricksons past he probably had a different vision of horror (maybe more full on) compared to fieges vision with moderate horror (which would of probably been more psychological with visual horror moments throughout the multiverse scenes) but Fiege was quick to shoot that down.

The Raimi news is interesting though. I have been wondering who could takeover. Eli Roth could be a good shout but again it all depends on what the horror element is and why derrickson left with creative differences. Does Fiege want a watered down horror and not test new places. Does he want it just to be trippy/ freaky or a more messed up scarier style. Shame, but I hope they make the right choice with this in the end. It has potential to be one of marvels best especially with the rumours of what new characters could appear and older different versioned characters could resurface in crazy multiverse scenes

Sam Raimi on Spider-Man 2 Doctor Strange Reference

The internet was set ablaze a few months back when it was announced that the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man trilogy helmer Sam Raimi would be returning to the comic book world for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and a select number of fans may recall that the writer/director mentioned the sorcerer in one of said films. Now the director has officially gone on record for the first time (!) about taking on the project, and you can check out his quote below!

Whilst chatting with Raimi for his upcoming Quibi anthology horror series, 50 States of Fright, ComingSoon.net reflected with Raimi on the scene in which J.K. Simmons’ J. Jonah Jameson and Ted Raimi’s Ted Hoffman discuss possible names for Otto Octavius’ evil persona, Dr. Octopus. Before landing on the amphibious name, Hoffman offers Dr. Strange, to which Jameson appreciates but notes that it has already been taken, seemingly referring to the Marvel sorcerer.

“I loved Doctor Strange as a kid, but he was always after Spider-Man and Batman for me, he was probably at number five for me of great comic book characters,”Raimi described. “He was so original, but when we had that moment in Spider-Man 2 I had no idea that we would ever be making a Doctor Strange movie, so it was really funny to me that coincidentally that line was in the movie. I gotta say I wish we had the foresight to know that I was going to be involved in the project.”

Benedict Cumberbatch will reprise his role as Stephen Strange, with Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff. Olsen’s upcoming Disney+ series, WandaVision, will also tie into the sequel. Additionally, Marvel’s Kevin Feige has confirmed that the Loki series will be linked to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness as well. Filming was expected to begin in May, but due to global health concerns it has been pushed back to pre-production beginning remotely in June.

The film recently hired Loki head writer Michael Waldron to rewrite the script from Jade Bartlett and has entered talks with Spider-Man‘s Sam Raimi to take over the directorial reigns on the project, much to the joy of fans and Derrickson alike.

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, and Benedict Wong have yet to be confirmed for the sequel. However, it’s likely that they will all return.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will hit theaters on November 5, 2021.

via Coming Soon

Marvel Promises Sam Raimi’s ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ is “Scary, Thrilling and Mind-Bending”

and the same time :

Feige also revealed that Xochitl Gomez (“The Baby-Sitters Club,” pictured below) has joined the cast as America Chavez... Yeah, right, she's 14 years old. Sam Raimi must be doing some real mindbending Rated-R horror with 14 year old kid. Think not.

Ruined for me.

Here she's smiling and the existential horror goes away.

130237480_123149426278159_3986898910035530842_n.jpg

What a weird post above. Because kids can’t be in horror?! The shining, hereditary, poltergeist, the conjuring...........

Oh and she’s smiling! Definitely can’t be in a horror LOL

Marvel Promises Sam Raimi’s ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ is “Scary, Thrilling and Mind-Bending”

and the same time :

Feige also revealed that Xochitl Gomez (“The Baby-Sitters Club,” pictured below) has joined the cast as America Chavez... Yeah, right, she's 14 years old. Sam Raimi must be doing some real mindbending Rated-R horror with 14 year old kid. Think not.

Ruined for me.

Here she's smiling and the existential horror goes away.

View attachment 493680
I cant’ imagine Disney releasing an R rated movie, though I’d welcome it. That said, scary doesn’t have to be rated R. Jaws scared the **** out of me and it was rated PG. I think Poltergeist was also rated PG and I think it was fairly scary (and had kids in it as I recall). It may not be scary. It may not even be good, but I’m going to give Feige and company the benefit of the doubt, because I don’ think there’s even a franchise before that has been as good as the MCU (and AFAIK, I’ve only owned one or 2 comics in my life). Most of the time sequels are ****, but Iron Man aside, it seems like the sequels have been good (Age of Ultron, however, wasn’t as good as Avengers).

Until proven otherwise, I assume things will be good on this phase as well. I only wish they’d had someone at lucasfilm insisting that the sequels be mapped out in advance, rather than being made up as they went along.

Reactions: Flloydo
I cant’ imagine Disney releasing an R rated movie, though I’d welcome it. That said, scary doesn’t have to be rated R. Jaws scared the **** out of me and it was rated PG. I think Poltergeist was also rated PG and I think it was fairly scary (and had kids in it as I recall). It may not be scary. It may not even be good, but I’m going to give Feige and company the benefit of the doubt, because I don’ think there’s even a franchise before that has been as good as the MCU (and AFAIK, I’ve only owned one or 2 comics in my life). Most of the time sequels are ****, but Iron Man aside, it seems like the sequels have been good (Age of Ultron, however, wasn’t as good as Avengers).

Until proven otherwise, I assume things will be good on this phase as well. I only wish they’d had someone at lucasfilm insisting that the sequels be mapped out in advance, rather than being made up as they went along.

Suppose we’ll have to see what they do with the 3rd deadpool when releasing a R rated film however they will still release films under 20th century studios for more adult non Disney content. A bit like they did with Touchstone years ago. I suppose when they continue with Aliens and films like that it will be with 20th century studios and so on.
but you’d be surprised what they would be able to get away with and tbh I think the horror comments with dr strange are overlooked. I feel the next Bunch of films in the marvel phase 4 (after black widow, eternals and Shang chi) will be a more trippy and psychological slate of films. Their head f**k phase. At least for spidey 3, strange 2 and maybe Thor 4. As well as the TV shows wanda vision and Loki that will link them.

I know it’s not horror horror but the zombie iron man in far from home might of been a bit of a teaser of the route strange 2 could go. That suits raimis style. Similar to the dream sequence Wanda puts stark through in age of Ultron when he sees all the avengers dead and the hulk is impaled taking his last breath. Horror is also very subjective (like you say with jaws) and very open nowadays too. With your examples, mine when I was a kid was never ending story. The wolf scared the sh!t out of me and also the thought of the nothingness taking over - which is a weird thought to have as a child, maybe even my first bout of anxiety stemmed from that haha. And that’s just a kids film. Albeit a dark kids film.

But then Disney have also always covered death from their early animation movies up until the present. Bambi, Snow White, Alice in wonderland, Pinocchio, frozen, Up etc which can be quite haunting to a degree.

I am so looking forward to what they do with Wanda vision - spidey 3 and then - dr strange 2 because they will all be linked and it’s gonna get weird....

Reactions: Steely-Booked
I am so excited for another Raimi film. His style always shines through and I am praying it still does in the quality controlled uniform environment of MCU! Raimi did good with Disney for Oz so I am hoping they let him do his thing again.

Looks cool but I think this might be the first Marvel film I might not be able to follow. I haven't seen Wandavision and I'm not really interested in seeing it.
Not sure you truly need to see Wandavision to understand this movie, but it's a really nice series that shows us the range of Olsen/Bettany and explains to us how Scalet Witch came to power.

Reactions: vexred
I'm just so delighted we are finally getting another Raimi film. Lets hope his style can shine through the MCU Disney house style.