Doctor Strange (Lenticular) (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: October 16, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (pre-order 6PM BST Sunday 24th)
Price: £24.99
Notes: Embossing/debossing on front and back

11557668-1904518004558221.jpg

11557668-1614518004778355.jpg
11557668-1954518005076666.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, CIVIL WAR looks stunning . . . this one, to be polite, less so with repetitive boring exterior artwork and muted colours.
At least the spine looks nice blocked in a slither of deep rich red.
View attachment 335135

With no framing border visible (maybe too early) and a full height (?) lenticular then the only option would be de-bossed titles and the embossing, if any, on the back images.

Both steels would suit a full gloss finish . . . especially CIVIL WAR which would be a contender for "Steelbook of the Year" if treated thus.

I'm not an art critic but I don't find these boring at all. And I couldn't give a rat's a** about the Bluefans this or the Blufans that. If everybody thinks that the Bluefans versions are THE editions to own and you already own them, then what do you care what the next one from somebody else looks like?

Are people so desperate for every release to be better than the perfect one they already have?

Oh and people saying "this would be better with gloss or spot gloss" for every release is so tired.
I know this isn't always your view, virkia (about glossing, I know you like certain steelbooks with a matte finish)

But the "What no gloss? Easy pass." comment in every thread is so automatic.
Does it really need to be said anymore?

And why anyone compares a Zavvi or Best Buy or Amazon release to any of the Premium releases makes no sense. Isn't that why you buy the premium editions?

Anyway...

• Thanks
Reactions: Bungral and dLux
Wow this crowd is impossible to please.

Also, hasn't it been said before that Disney has to approve all art?
Wouldn't that mean that Zavvi can't just throw on every tiny detail or choose from 700 posters from around the world?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure how it works.

But if I am correct, then why are there always the complaints about how Zavvi blew it or so and so company used the same art when they should have used this poster on the front and that poster on the back and another poster for the inside?

You are pretty spot on. Its either studio designs it all and then said retailer sells ... some product buyers may make suggestions and typically needs already approved art ... and/or there are creative briefs with "assets" in them which is already approved art that can be used. Some titles and or studios have diff flex.

I really don't think this is a good alternative to the blufans. In fact I find that insulting

This will be a horrible finish like the rest of them and where the bossing might be ok it will be nothing on the treatment the blufans steel got.

I think the back art should of been something different on this though Imo

Civil war is growing on me more (the front) but it's going to be hugely let down by the finish and a crappy lenti with minimal effect. At least the lenti should be a bit better then this one though, with such a basic image the lenti will have no depth. Can't understand why they can't get better lentis made. We've seen the evidence on some uk steels it can happen (hunger games, hulk, Spider-Man). Plus look at novas age of ultron lenti magnet, it's absolutely amazing

always get people blaming zavvi for the art even though I'm sure they must be aware by now it's the studio.
But then because it's zavvi selling it it's easier to use their name.

I dont find any of it insulting to the blufans version because we're now in a part of the hobby where there are different ranges of steelbooks in regards to price range. There are MANY MANY MANY movie collectors , consumers etc who will never spend $60 on a movie so ... insert this release and others that have the price range of casual consumers.

I think it would suck however if it were the exact same art and finish of the blufans but even then it could have been done ....

I'm not an art critic but I don't find these boring at all. And I couldn't give a rat's a** about the Bluefans this or the Blufans that. If everybody thinks that the Bluefans versions are THE editions to own and you already own them, then what do you care what the next one from somebody else looks like?

Are people so desperate for every release to be better than the perfect one they already have?

Oh and people saying "this would be better with gloss or spot gloss" for every release is so tired.
I know this isn't always your view, virkia (about glossing, I know you like certain steelbooks with a matte finish)

But the "What no gloss? Easy pass." comment in every thread is so automatic.
Does it really need to be said anymore?

And why anyone compares a Zavvi or Best Buy or Amazon release to any of the Premium releases makes no sense. Isn't that why you buy the premium editions?

Anyway...

I agree with you on a lot of the sentiments but I dont think its a problem with people mentioning gloss etc. Granted Matte and Satin work very well on some releases, but there is also the times they just do matte to keep things cheaper when gloss really would have made it great for the end consumer. I know first hand from a meeting last year in Europe when speaking to a previous universal sales guy who sold all those steels to the EU market that he said when he was in that position he would log on and check the feedback on HDN. Took me by surprise to hear him say that , but very cool to know that people are reading. Which is why I say people should give descriptive criticism instead of coming off like "thread crapping" as if you have a point to make and of course if you have the time to do so ... give us 2 sentences instead of 4 words. But we don't need novels to read either tho.... im pushing it with the mass quoting in this post haha. :p

I dont find any of it insulting to the blufans version because we're now in a part of the hobby where there are different ranges of steelbooks in regards to price range. There are MANY MANY MANY movie collectors , consumers etc who will never spend $60 on a movie so ... insert this release and others that have the price range of casual consumers.

...Which is why I say people should give descriptive criticism instead of coming off like "thread crapping" as if you have a point to make and of course if you have the time to do so ... give us 2 sentences instead of 4 words.

"thread crapping" Love that!

I am one who would prefer just the steelbooks. I don't need all the premium stuff.
I don't care if there were 500 copies or 50,000 copies made.

Reactions: Wreck
Amazed that peeps are content about having almost the same image on the front and back . . . or rather the same image x3 if you include the lenticular . . . inexcusable, unnecessary and plain bonkers (imo).
Shurely shome mishtake at Disney HQ!?

Last edited:
With Marvel .... MCU and DC etc .... they will keep rehashing this stuff until sales prove otherwise.

Of course, Its a ton better than the WWA so I look forward to these new steels both the artwork for this and civil war look awesome.

Just need to wait for a Guardians 2 re-release.

Amazed that peeps are content to have almost the same image on the front and back . . . or rather the same three images if you include the lenticular . . . inexcusable, unnecessary and plain bonkers (imo).
Shurely shome mishtake at Disney HQ!?

Content ... I'm content in knowing I wont be buying this version as the blufans and kimchi ones are great and money was already spent there. But for others, nice value option if slipboxes arent your thing. As for "collector market value" personally I don't see this one effecting the blufans one. Blufans effected the Kimchi one if anything but those are both great. Where as this release doesnt effect the BF/kimchi as those eye'n those releases are going for the whole package. imho

Blufans used a same lenti image that Kimchi used and I dont remember people being up in arms. haha.

You are pretty spot on. Its either studio designs it all and then said retailer sells ... some product buyers may make suggestions and typically needs already approved art ... and/or there are creative briefs with "assets" in them which is already approved art that can be used. Some titles and or studios have diff flex.

I think it would suck however if it were the exact same art and finish of the blufans but even then it could have been done ....

I agree with you on a lot of the sentiments but I dont think its a problem with people mentioning gloss etc. Granted Matte and Satin work very well on some releases, but there is also the times they just do matte to keep things cheaper when gloss really would have made it great for the end consumer. I know first hand from a meeting last year in Europe when speaking to a previous universal sales guy who sold all those steels to the EU market that he said when he was in that position he would log on and check the feedback on HDN. Took me by surprise to hear him say that , but very cool to know that people are reading. Which is why I say people should give descriptive criticism instead of coming off like "thread crapping" as if you have a point to make and of course if you have the time to do so ... give us 2 sentences instead of 4 words. But we don't need novels to read either tho.... im pushing it with the mass quoting in this post haha. :p

Wasn't just you who said the good alternative. Seen a few mention it

That last part about descriptive criticism. I think a lot of us do anyway and we have obviously seen changes on wwa marvel uk spine titles, the Disney collection half way through getting a better finish and other things but nothing has changed with this wave regarding the finish and lenti quality. Then if they do change stuff it will be 15 (or higher) films in by then. Just wish all these marvels were gloss, most of them would of looked great and felt premium (don't have to have slips and extras for a quality premium looking release). Can't stand a matte marvel Steelbook. Or at least some spot glossing. Would do.
Wouldn't be too bad if they were quality matte steels but none really have. The best 2 have been both caps so maybe civil war will have some hope

Mind you the wwa book steel looks better than this at the moment

Last edited:
Content ... I'm content in knowing I wont be buying this version as the blufans and kimchi ones are great and money was already spent there. But for others, nice value option if slipboxes arent your thing. As for "collector market value" personally I don't see this one effecting the blufans one. Blufans effected the Kimchi one if anything but those are both great. Where as this release doesnt effect the BF/kimchi as those eye'n those releases are going for the whole package. imho

Blufans used a same lenti image that Kimchi used and I dont remember people being up in arms. haha.

You'd be surprised. For some crazy reason these zavvi lenti editions go for the same amount and sometimes more than a kimchi or blufans (well iron man 2,3 , Thor 2 and age of ultron don't)

I think people seem to forget Zavvis little post a while back which something along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing of course) "If we think the art is not good enough we can then reject the design"...which to me that's basically "there's communication going on, we can work something out"

So while not actually designing the steelbook art they can in fact change it if they think it's lackluster. If they see us complaining or submitting better art like Noodles has I don't see why they can't communicate with the studio and tell them this. If they can't be bothered or they don't give a crap then yeah I won't feel guilty blaming them.

One thing you can be sure about with Disney and that is inconsistency.

Examples of this are plentiful and not just with their mass recycling of AMARAY editions with releases that you think will make a lovely set and then they pull the rug out from under your feet. The marketing geniuses who decide that it's cool to . . .
- release half-a-dozen with one style of slipcover then move on to a different design altogether or even release some with slipcover art matching the wraparound art on the data sleeve and others with new slipcover art over old style wraparound art.

- leave us with an incomplete Classics collection on Blu-ray after 7 YEARS leaving me with unsightly gaps in the Disney Classics collection filled by empty Amaray cases

- change the style of spine numbering which is totally different to the originals with the gold ovals
etc.

Inconsistent just as much with their STEELBOOKS:
- Earliest Disney/Disney Pixar classics coming in with a matte finish and no artwork single block-colour quarter slips and with no classics number on the slip spines

- Changed pronto to a gloss finish . . . which just happens to best suit animated art and the bright colours associated with that art style . . . (thankfully now the chosen finish for the drawn comic-book art non-Disney DC releases of "Wonder Woman", "Man of Steel" etc.)

- Re-releases of the big hitters (and a couple of not such big hitters) last year but this time in a zero instead of a full gloss finish with *no embossing and mostly low rent lenticulars and even those weren't consistent . . . with *"The Lone Ranger" being the one or lone (lol) lenticular steelbook to have an embossed title.

- Misaligned / badly sized lenticulars on most of the early lenticular steelbooks with some so bad as to take your breathe away and leave you gasping.
Issue addressed towards the end of 2016 with almost 100% success after the nightmare misaligning on "Age of Ultron" and to a slightly lesser degree on "Ant-Man" . . . even if all that was required was to change the size of the image within the frame of the steelbook . . .

- Thumbnail pics on spines that were present not just on animated films' steelbooks but also on their live action Marvel spines.
Issue addressed (in the UK) towards the end of 2016 with 100% success after the furore surrounding "The Force Awakens" steelbook

. . . and so on and so forth.

Hopefully this time Disney have upped their game regarding the upcoming lenticulars as they've been mostly average at best (imo) and not in the same ballpark as those examples from Sony, Fox and Universal.

Last edited:
One thing you can be sure about with Disney and that is inconsistency.

Examples of this are plentiful and not just with their mass recycling of AMARAY editions with releases that you think will make a lovely set and then they pull the rug out from under your feet. The marketing geniuses who decide that it's cool to . . .
- release half-a-dozen with one style of slipcover then move on to a different design altogether

Speaking of AMARAY, I was in a Best Buy in Canada yesterday and noticed they recently individually re-released the blu-ray line of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in AMARAY form with new art and slipcovers.

The slipcovers seem to be similar for each title. I believe the colour and design of the spines of the slipcovers are all the same.
Except for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (I don't know if they released a version of this to match)

Speaking of AMARAY, I was in a Best Buy in Canada yesterday and noticed they recently individually re-released the blu-ray line of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in AMARAY form with new art and slipcovers.

The slipcovers seem to be similar for each title. I believe the colour and design of the spines of the slipcovers are all the same.
Except for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (I don't know if they released a version of this to match)

If you look at the Blu-ray Slipcovers / SlipBox section ''Marvel Studios 10th Anniversary Blu-ray Slipcovers'' are listed there(just in case you didn't know we have an Amaray Slipcover Section listing all new editions)
I believe it mentions they are available from BB USA, but just went to look and seems amazon also have them.

:thumbs:

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Stygian
Lenticular, meaning steelbook with matte finished, correct? Liking the art but compare to previous Disney’s Marvel lenticular matte finished trend I’d be passing...

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: harry
I think people seem to forget Zavvis little post a while back which something along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing of course) "If we think the art is not good enough we can then reject the design"...which to me that's basically "there's communication going on, we can work something out"

So while not actually designing the steelbook art they can in fact change it if they think it's lackluster. If they see us complaining or submitting better art like Noodles has I don't see why they can't communicate with the studio and tell them this. If they can't be bothered or they don't give a crap then yeah I won't feel guilty blaming them.

Artwork preferences are subjective though, just because a few people Don't like it doesn't mean everybody doesn't. Not to mention some artwork can be quite polarizing (GOTG walkman)

I hear Disney are notoriously difficult when it comes to changing art work. Look at Blufans with the GOTG vol 2 steelbook, lots of people slated the back (I like it btw) and Blufans basically said that it was unchangeable due to Disney........

Maybe this is why "hmv" all of a sudden is getting a lot of the premier title release's and not Zavvi ? Zavvi had a lot of stick over certain Marvel lenti"s not long ago followed by the 4k vs 3d sales push by the studio's ! I can picture it now; "do as we say, don't complain, or we will find another company (hmv) to sell "our" product". Ps Blufans was the latest to have the law laid down, gotg2 rear art ? The studio's appear to favour art that has hidden meaning's or is just rubbish to look at (followed by a better one later), rather than creative beautiful artwork that we would actually be very happy with in the first place (no need to buy another version or two or three etc). Evidence to date;- Disney lenti re-releases ! The first version's were very good, resulting in a lacklustre lenti re-release !? Lets face it, 90% of steelbook releases could be a lot better !!!!

Wasn't just you who said the good alternative. Seen a few mention it

Can't stand a matte marvel Steelbook. Or at least some spot glossing. Would do.
Wouldn't be too bad if they were quality matte steels but none really have. The best 2 have been both caps so maybe civil war will have some hope

Mind you the wwa book steel looks better than this at the moment
Same I dont like matte marvels. unless a combo complimenting it. Maybe the nice bossing could do it well. epic bossing would make this awesome like if its the light etc. as opposed to just character.

True ... to better extent with other studios then Disney ...

Lenticular, meaning steelbook with matte finished, correct? Liking the art but compare to previous Disney’s Marvel lenticular matte finished trend I’d be passing...

Haven't been a fan of the marvel mattes from the UK so far. but the GOTG looks nice cause of color hues.

I hear Disney are notoriously difficult when it comes to changing art work. Look at Blufans with the GOTG vol 2 steelbook, lots of people slated the back (I like it btw) and Blufans basically said that it was unchangeable due to Disney........

In the licensing world Disney is king ... its the top brand you can be associated with and if you do official work with Disney it serves as a stamp and validation that makes doing business with other Companies much easier. Disney can charge higher royalty rates etc.

So while some things can be changed I give the credit to the person behind the scenes with the courage , time, and slick mouthpiece to wheel and deal without screwing things up. :p for themselves or everyone else.

"Steelbook of the year"..... give me strength :rofl:

Yup, I declare my Big Mac is beef of the year.... yet I've never tried steak :hilarious:

yes made me laugh too :LOL:

problem a certain someone thinks the sun shines out there backside, only problem hes really got is ever thinking that a steel from zavvi would ever have a gloss finish when all the others second time round have been matte!
also one other thing hes not noticed when debossing and embossing is done they will have to put a frame in
common sense dictates that, as @Flloydo once said 'not a clue' it aint too far from the truth.

basil :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Punker76
Some of the Zavvi MCU Lenticulars are going for silly money surpassing the premium counterparts (FACT!) irrespective of how bad or good they were.

1. Thor 1
2. Iron Man 1
3. Iron Man 2
4. CA1
5. CA2 (has picked up steam recently)
6. Gotg-1

Even the original Zavvi release of Thor and CA1 are selling for 2.5-3x the cost price. So in general Zavvi MCU are a safe bet.