Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $27.38
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

1.jpg

• Limited Edition SteelBook (2000 copies), featuring artwork by Candice Tripp
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
  • Original 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
  • Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
  • Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, director of photography Steven Poster,
  • The Goodbye Place, Kelly's 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
  • Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
  • Trailer

Last edited:
I'm surprised Arrow not asked for thread be hidden as they previously done this with previous threads posted before they announce the release
This not meant to be known about until tomorrow :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Seriously though... it's being spoken about all over social media and other forums, so hiding one thread would be pretty pointless lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Bound to be a UK release for this, also limited to 2000 for the UK as is the US (like Hellraiser)

Here's my problem. I bought the limited edition a few months back, which I sort of regretted, knowing the amaray was soon to be released shortly after.

I feel sort of cheated with this steelbook release, which was one of my most wanted steelbook releases, (I mentioned it in a post soon after joining HDN)

I'd purchase it, but Arrow, you've let me down with the way you left this so late after the other releases....

Bound to be a UK release for this, also limited to 2000 for the UK as is the US (like Hellraiser)

Here's my problem. I bought the limited edition a few months back, which I sort of regretted, knowing the amaray was soon to be released shortly after.

I feel sort of cheated with this steelbook release, which was one of my most wanted steelbook releases, (I mentioned it in a post soon after joining HDN)

I'd purchase it, but Arrow, you've let me down with the way you left this so late after the other releases....
U can always sell the earlier model on ebay.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
Re-release poster art for this re-mastered release from Arrow seems most appropriate . . . following on from similar "rabbit" artwork for the first 2010 Metrodome release here in the UK . . . and Arrow's own releases from the tail-end of last year/beginning of this.
This despite the fact most original posters had the rabbit much more secondary:-
upload_2017-9-22_12-12-21.png
-------------------------
166393_large.jpg
upload_2017-9-22_12-25-30.png
upload_2017-9-22_12-26-23.png
15766_large.jpg

I confess I'd have preferred one of the different but related images for the front of the steelbook - just to have some variety in these Arrow releases - and I feel that a film entitled Donnie Darko should have at least some aspect of the Jake Gyllenhaal Donnie Darko character on the front and even though the "rabbit" has probably no more than ten minutes of screen time out of the 2 1/4 hours (DC) it's still the indelible image I imagine most people take away from the film but still maybe a bit unfair on the wonderful cast.
Oh, I don't know . . . maybe one of these two:-
upload_2017-9-22_14-41-16.png
upload_2017-9-22_14-54-25.png
-----
upload_2017-9-22_14-50-7.png

As for films featuring a 6' or 7' tall rabbit I'd be hard pushed to think of any others apart from the charming and moving James Stewart comedy HARVEY from 1950 but there of course Harvey was invisible (lol) and not forgetting MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO (lol again)
36427_large.jpg

On the one hand Arrow very good at giving us variety with different artworks when releasing both collector's boxsets and/or Amarays . . . as well as steelbooks . . . with sometimes the Amaray art matching the Collector's boxset but different to the steelbook.
Anyway, some random examples of Different Art used - steelbooks vs. other editions:-
THE THING, SOCIETY, BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR, THE 'BURBS, BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, THEATRE OF BLOOD, TENEBRAE, PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE, DRILLER KILLER, MANIAC COP, FOXY BROWN, LIFEFORCE, SOCIETY, FOXY BROWN, THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM, THE BEYOND, INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS, ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, INFERNO, SHIVERS, THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY, PORKY'S, PHENOMENA, HELLRAISER, RABID, KILLER KLOWNS, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, and so on.

On the other hand sometimes they use the Same Artwork across the board such as here with DONNIE DARKO and on THE BURNING, AUDITION, LADY SNOWBLOOD, KING OF NEW YORK, FRIGHT NIGHT and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgh... love the film but getting bored of this steelbook release months after the limited edition thing that Arrow have going on. I'd have sat that out for this. And Society. And Bride of Re-Animator. At least we got the choice with The Thing.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Arrow Video Facebook
US fans – although we have don’t have any brand new titles to share with you in December you may be pleased to hear that we are currently working on a VERY special US exclusive release. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite ready for today’s announcements but we hope to have some news on this soon.

:LOL: This release was not meant to be known about yet :rofl:

• Helpful Post
  • Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and dfoles
Arrow Video Facebook
US fans – although we have don’t have any brand new titles to share with you in December you may be pleased to hear that we are currently working on a VERY special US exclusive release. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite ready for today’s announcements but we hope to have some news on this soon.

:LOL: This release was not meant to be known about yet :rofl:

Have there been US exclusive Arrow steelbooks? I don't import so don't pay much attention!

Does make we wonder if there will be a uk edition with their choice of words "special US exclusive release"

No UK DONNIE DARKO steelbook?
Puhlease, gimme a break !

If US only (lol) it would be ironic as the UK audience was the one that saved the film.
It bombed in The States (according to comments made in the commentary track/special features) and the present day cult following is thanks in no small part to the UK.

Last edited: