Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $27.38
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

1.jpg

• Limited Edition SteelBook (2000 copies), featuring artwork by Candice Tripp
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
  • Original 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
  • Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
  • Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, director of photography Steven Poster,
  • The Goodbye Place, Kelly's 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
  • Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
  • Trailer

Last edited:
No UK DONNIE DARKO steelbook?
Puhlease, gimme a break !

If US only (lol) it would be ironic as the UK audience was the one that saved the film.
It bombed in The States (according to comments made in the commentary track/special features) and the present day cult following is thanks in no small part to the UK.
Um, U.S. was the one the MADE the film. :wacky:

No UK DONNIE DARKO steelbook?
Puhlease, gimme a break !

If US only (lol) it would be ironic as the UK audience was the one that saved the film.
It bombed in The States (according to comments made in the commentary track/special features) and the present day cult following is thanks in no small part to the UK.

I know right? No UK release would be complete bs..

and Arrow is a British company

And here i was patiently waiting before commenting the thread, for a UK release announcement. It's distributed by Arrow in the UK as well, right? I hoped for a dual region announcement like at last with 'Hellraiser'.

Last edited:
This is why I'm surprised Arrow not asked for the thread be locked as they usually do this until they made the announcement of the release

MVD USA website I don't think was meant to release details of the release yet

Your joking right? What does that matter. Most steels are of US films lol

It's a huge cult film here.

And hugely cult here

Plus like someone mentioned arrow is UK

Hate to agree with him but it didn't do too well in the US and although has its fans and cult following now the UK kinda put it on the map

(But that don't mean it shouldn't get a US release and only a UK one. Just find it odd it seems arrow have no plans for the steel one here as well)

Have there been US exclusive Arrow steelbooks? I don't import so don't pay much attention!
Not yet in regards to a steelbook release but yes in regards to Blu-ray releases of some films due to arrow not having the UK distribution rights

I would be very surprised if this is a USA only release as Arrow have the UK distribution rights and already released both limited and standard editions of Donnie Darko in the UK

So far Arrow Video have not made any official announcement of a steelbook release or even hinted at a release for Donnie Darko for either USA or UK

This is why I'm surprised as to the listing on MVD USA website

In the past when I or some others created a thread for an arrow video release not announced by arrow the thread got locked and following repeated threads also got locked

Arrow have sometimes let it be known about a planned releases before the usual Friday or Monday announcements like The Burning or The Thing releases and sometimes exclusive releases with Zavvi get announced at random times.

Most times though it's not until they announce on Arrow Video Facebook Page

I will ask arrow on Monday about the leaked release of Donnie Darko steelbook and will it be UK and USA

Doesn't alter the fact that it bombed where you are and nothing can change that.
It almost went straight to video . . .
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On the restoration (Home Cinema Choice ... 27-Jan-2017)
"Breathing New Life Into Cult Classics on Blu-ray"
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/new...esh-life-into-cult-classics-on-blu-ray/24717/
It did the kind of business that films of that size did in theaters at that time.
What point are you trying to make?
@Flloydo - the general public has zero idea what the UK is liking/not liking.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Doesn't alter the fact that it bombed where you are and nothing can change that.
It almost went straight to video . . .
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On the restoration (Home Cinema Choice ... 27-Jan-2017)
"Breathing New Life Into Cult Classics on Blu-ray"
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/new...esh-life-into-cult-classics-on-blu-ray/24717/
according to Box Office Mojo, it was released to 58 theaters in it's opening weekend. And the total just went down from there over the next 3 weeks. 26 theaters, 17, then 10. It's hard to say it bombed in the U.S., when the studio never gave anyone a chance to see it. And it didn't even make $2 million in the UK. I am not sure how many theaters it was released to there, but, it probably had similar treatment.
This movie clearly found a second life and cult following on home video. That said...I do find it odd that Arrow does just a US release. They did both for the box set. Though UK came first. Odd...

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Not yet in regards to a steelbook release but yes in regards to Blu-ray releases of some films due to arrow not having the UK distribution rights

I would be very surprised if this is a USA only release as Arrow have the UK distribution rights and already released both limited and standard editions of Donnie Darko in the UK

So far Arrow Video have not made any official announcement of a steelbook release or even hinted at a release for Donnie Darko for either USA or UK

This is why I'm surprised as to the listing on MVD USA website

In the past when I or some others created a thread for an arrow video release not announced by arrow the thread got locked and following repeated threads also got locked

Arrow have sometimes let it be known about a planned releases before the usual Friday or Monday announcements like The Burning or The Thing releases and sometimes exclusive releases with Zavvi get announced at random times.

Most times though it's not until they announce on Arrow Video Facebook Page

I will ask arrow on Monday about the leaked release of Donnie Darko steelbook and will it be UK and USA

Thank you. This is somewhat reassuring.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
The film became a hit when released on Home Media
USA alone DVD sales was over 10 million when released on DVD in 2002 and 2004

This is a film like some other cult films that became a hit after cinema release

Last edited:
According to reports from the Tangent Universe the steelbook aka the Artifact - as we know Artifacts are "formed from metal" hence the steelbook - has already been announced in the UK.
As for me I'll just wait a few days for the announcement in this the Primary Universe.

Any further questions on the success or otherwise of the film in the US and in the UK are answered in the Extras on both the TC and the DC Arrow discs with the ported 7 hours of Extras from the 2010 UK Metrodome release . . . making this release as full as I've ever seen any Blu-ray release.

Metrodome 2 disc release (UK, 2010)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Feature commentary with director Richard Kelly
  • Feature commentary with cast & crew
  • Feature commentary with director Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith
  • They made me do it featurette
  • They made me do it too featurette
  • They made me do it art gallery
  • Production Diary – optional commentary by steven poster, director of photography
  • B-roll footage
  • Cast & crew interviews
  • Additional scenes: 20 scenes with optional commentary by richard kelly – deleted & Extended scenes from the original theatrical cut
  • Cunning visions informercials with optional commentary
  • The Philosophy of Time Travel
  • Original tv spots x 5
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • The director’s cut trailer
upload_2017-9-22_23-57-51.png

As for comparisons between the Arrow release and previous releases there's this:-
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews44/donnie_darko_blu-ray.htm

Oh, and before I forget, the US release is limited to 2,000 so it's not difficult to imagine where the other 2,000 are going ;)

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
The film became a hit when released on Home Media
USA alone DVD sales was over 10 million when released on DVD in 2002 and 2004

This is a film like some other cult films that became a hit after cinema release
Probably because it's a film you need to see multiple times to get the most out if it.......

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
I hope its not the directors cut, the original soundtrack was much better
Not only was the original soundtrack better - the Director's Cut "literalized" some elements of the story, that are much better left as enigmas. And like many director's cuts before it - it completely loses its pacing.

Domestic Box Office $1,480,006
UK Box Office $1,789,320

so not really impressive no matter what...total for all sales $7,510,877

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Domestic Box Office $1,480,006
UK Box Office $1,789,320

so not really impressive no matter what...total for all sales $7,510,877
Cinema box office in USA was low due to couple of factors
The film's advertising featuring a crashing plane before 9/11 attacks
Film was released into cinemas a month after 9/11 attacks in 2001 and only seen in a small number of cinemas and by then was scarcely advertised due to what happened on 9/11

Word of mouth spread about the film but by then was not available to be seen in the cinema in USA

When released on Dvd in the USA in 2002 it was a runaway success over 10 million in sales and that success brought about the director's cut getting a release in 2004
That 10 million in Dvd sales was USA market

The international market was also the same home media sales was also very strong

Word of mouth after cinema release was what led to the home media success and later cult following has added to this to give healthy sales on Blu-ray

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: K.i.T