Drive (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Full Slip Version) [Korea]

harryhayden

Premium Supporter
Nov 5, 2013
Guys,

Just found out about this, not exactly exclusive edition or some sort, but this might count as some consolation for those missing out on the exclusive retailer release :joy:

Purchase Link: YESASIA
Price: $44.99
Expected Release Date: December 12, 2014

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I cannot find the Drive nova exclusive steelbooks on their website anymore. :( However, my order is still standing. This tastes stranger and stranger by the minute. :angry: Anyone able to track the editions down on nova's website?
The product pages for the Drive steelbook were gone from the Novamedia site on the 6th of November, i.e. almost a month now. If your order is in, I don't see that there's anything to worry about.

• Informative
Reactions: Bluprint
The product pages for the Drive steelbook were gone from the Novamedia site on the 6th of November, i.e. almost a month now. If your order is in, I don't see that there's anything to worry about.

The problem I have here is that I think it might be no longer nova "exclusive", an interpretation that becomes obvious with regard to the fact that the fullslip can be ordered elsewhere!

These are the already announced local print run not the overseas print run
In domestic print run, Nova exclusive logo & sticker will not be printed on full & lenticular slip.

Because there is unresolved issue between Nova and publisher.

But If anyone buy from novamnm.com you can get full & lenticular slip with Novamnm logo printed and sticker if you are overseas customers

These are the already announced local print run not the overseas print run
In domestic print run, Nova exclusive logo & sticker will not be printed on full & lenticular slip.

Because there is unresolved issue between Nova and publisher.

But If anyone buy from novamedia.com you can get full & lenticular slip with Novamnm logo printed and sticker if you are overseas customers
The point is that if the yesasia release comes with all the extra goodies, then the only exclusive bit is a bit of writing on the spine and a stuck on number.

Yes, really. There's no point in collecting these stupid things anymore when you think about how much over the odds we end up paying for a movie that's in packaging which turns out to be no more exclusive than the bog standard amaray edition.
I think the Koreans should consider the ancient proverb
"Don't take the piss"

Reactions: psychoscot
Yes, really. There's no point in collecting these stupid things anymore when you think about how much over the odds we end up paying for a movie that's in packaging which turns out to be no more exclusive than the bog standard amaray edition.

Well I for one don't buy steelbooks because they're limited but because amarays look like dog poo. If every steel gets an unlimited run and costs as much as an amaray release does, I'll be ecstatic.

To each their own though.

Well I for one don't buy steelbooks because they're limited but because amarays look like dog poo. If every steel gets an unlimited run and costs as much as an amaray release does, I'll be ecstatic.

To each their own though.
Missing the point slightly. They DON'T cost the same as an amaray. The price we're paying is a fallacy when you consider part of the appeal is the exclusivity and rarity.

Reactions: AlienKing
Missing the point slightly. They DON'T cost the same as an amaray. The price we're paying is a fallacy when you consider part of the appeal is the exclusivity and rarity.

Actually, they're pretty close. They just don't drop in price as much, and that's because they're limited.

I'm one of the people who really don't care about rarity. I'd be prepared to pay the $45 for this Drive steel if they made 500 or half a million of them. To buy steelbooks exclusively because of their rarity is something I'll never understand.

So to further riff on my earlier post about sites like Kimchi and Nova's definition of exclusives:

I think ultimately the word Exclusive is chosen because pre-order culture (and the real 'threat' of items selling out) is thriving and the promise of something exclusive carries with it a natural appeal - particularly in a hobby like steelbook collecting which has the inherent crowd of catch and release collectors who are often invested in it with an eye towards how valuable each piece can become.

So if Stickers and Number Cards and (less talked about) Overseas selling contracts are what makes a release an exclusive, you can bring the word chosen to promote the product into question. It is however a simple reality that once in the hands of Korean retailers and consumers, domestic stock is free to travel internationally. In the case of this turning up on Yesasia, you have to bear in mind that publisher KD Media is still effectively dealing with a pan-asian goods retailer and that their domestic sales policy no doubt extends more along the lines of a continent than a country alone. All in all the lines become blurred and exclusivity in whatever capacity is at the behest of the publisher.

What I can say is I don't expect this release to travel the full length of all online Korean Bluray retailers - if it does then something is really truly lacking in the finer details of sites claiming the product solely as their own.

The basic point should be try and use a little more discretion in future. The added appeal of 'exclusivity' gets people even more crazy for products and whether a piece of merchandise actually is or not, doesn't always seem to matter. People went crazy for hours come pre-order time on Nova's site, cursing them and losing sleep. And now Yesasia stroll in and let people snag a copy with no real drama.

At least in the case of S. Korea it pays to remember that international stock selling out is not the end of the line when it comes to Steel!

• Informative
Reactions: Bluprint and rj531
If the full slip has the same effort put into it as Kimchis 'Her' full slip (maybe a textured pink background and glossy embossed white parts) it would look the shizzle!

To buy steelbooks exclusively because of their rarity is something I'll never understand.

I sort of get the whole exclusive thing - it makes it feel special because you have something that very few other people have. Kind of like when you were the first kid on the block with a new computer or the newest BMX bike lol. But then other kids had one too, after a couple of months. Maybe not all the kids but it was no longer exclusive to you on your block so it lost some of the specialness. You get the idea.

I had a copy of Twilight Time's Fright Night and it felt wonderful knowing I had it because it became super rare and very expensive. 2,999 other people also had a copy and that didn't bother me because I only care about what I have. Another thing - All of these "exclusives" that have the same artwork worldwide, like Guardians of the Galaxy, is a joke. What's the point of having an exclusive if Canada, South Africa and France all have the same art?