Dune (1984) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 30, 2021
Purchase links: Deluxe Edition - SteelBook only (Pre-order on May 28, at 3 PM - UK time)
Price: £44.99 (Deluxe Edition) - £29.99 (SteelBook only)

ezgif-5-bb94a1a7bc23.jpg ezgif-5-2a6e9040e7ea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My order for this now has the dreaded blue bar. Better check yours if you used a code.
What difference does a blue bar make mine has also and used to question zavvi regarding it and said not to worry. Never had a blue bar order fail so far and i have had a few over time.
Im not sure what causes them but every single think i have ordered from zavvi is shipped unless i canceled myself.

Reactions: Shark and sinusR2
But do you €99.99 + shipping love the film? :notworthy:
Good question, haha. Shipping won't hurt so much as I live in Germany, but other than that, yeah, you're right, it's way too steep. I guess I'll wait for reviews or at least until we know more about the extended cuts and other specs as I don't expect this to sell out all too fast (most of these Koch Media Ultimate Editions appear to stay available for like ever)

Yes mate, I understand that. What I'm saying is, he'd be no more disadvantaged buying the german version over the arrow version (or vice versa) because neither will have his preferred subtitle option.

Side note, unless I'm being completely ignorant, I'd be surprised if someone from Finland was after Deutsch (German, which the german release does have) subtitles.
I think what he's getting at is that someone from Finnland most likely does speak English and might be after English subtitles as they complement the spoken dialogue as he watches the movie in English. German subs have exactly 0 value to someone who does not speak German (which will mostly be Germans, Austrians and Swiss). English subs on a movie in English are of great value to most people who do speak English, but not perfectly or have trouble understanding the dialogue for other reasons...

For example I might buy a Spaninsh movie with just Spanish subs if German or English subs are unavailable as my Spanish is okay-ish - but that same Spanish movie with French subs will be pretty much worthless to me as my French is sh**t and my Spanish is probably not good enough to understand everything without subs...

What difference does a blue bar make mine has also and used to question zavvi regarding it and said not to worry. Never had a blue bar order fail so far and i have had a few over time.
Im not sure what causes them but every single think i have ordered from zavvi is shipped unless i canceled myself.
Just that someone else got a blue bar on their last action hero then was told there wasn’t sufficient stock to fulfill all their orders and the order was cancelled

Just that someone else got a blue bar on their last action hero then was told there wasn’t sufficient stock to fulfill all their orders and the order was cancelled
Well if they cancel mine they be canceling 2 other steelbooks also at same time, maybe it's more prone to blue when you order very early and use a code.
But as said not had a canceled order yet, are you going to cancel and reorder? Or see what happens.
Im leaving mine as is as had no trouble in past but there is always a first for everything.

Well if they cancel mine they be canceling 2 other steelbooks also at same time, maybe it's more prone to blue when you order very early and use a code.
But as said not had a canceled order yet, are you going to cancel and reorder? Or see what happens.
Im leaving mine as is as had no trouble in past but there is always a first for everything.
No I’m leaving it. If it was my all time fave list I might be worried. I’ll have to ask the other guy if they delivered their last action hero or not. But no I’ll wait it out. Thanks for the info.

I think what he's getting at is that someone from Finnland most likely does speak English and might be after English subtitles as they complement the spoken dialogue as he watches the movie in English. German subs have exactly 0 value to someone who does not speak German (which will mostly be Germans, Austrians and Swiss). English subs on a movie in English are of great value to most people who do speak English, but not perfectly or have trouble understanding the dialogue for other reasons...

For example I might buy a Spaninsh movie with just Spanish subs if German or English subs are unavailable as my Spanish is okay-ish - but that same Spanish movie with French subs will be pretty much worthless to me as my French is sh**t and my Spanish is probably not good enough to understand everything without subs...
Yeah, that's a fair point actually. I guess I wouldn't have thought someone who does speak English perfectly well, would need both subs and language tracks, if the film was in the same language. Seems overkill to me.

I'm the other way around, I can understand spoken spanish, french and Italian quite well. Well enough to watch a whole film without subtitles usually. When it comes to reading/writing in those languages I'm fairly useless though.

Reactions: sinusR2
I'm the other way around, I can understand spoken spanish, french and Italian quite well. Well enough to watch a whole film without subtitles usually. When it comes to reading/writing in those languages I'm fairly useless though.
That's quite interesting... I wish I had THAT skill

Yeah, obviously.. :rolleyes: you know exactly what I meant, so don't be a d**k about it.

I'm just saying, the film itself is entirely in english, with no subtitles required within the film for the intended language.

I appreciate english is not everyone's native language, but it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if you bought the arrow release or the german release, because neither would have a broad selection of foreign subtitles available to suit everyone.

I need only English subs. Not fluent in English so it helps to keep up. I understand ... let's say 85% what I hear, but rest might give trouble - that's when subs come in helpful. Movies and music lyrics is actually how I learned to extend my vocabulary. Sure school was good and all that, but ... you know. Sorry for being rude. Was a bit tired. :thumbs:

• Friendly
Reactions: MerlinT and sinusR2
I need only English subs. Not fluent in English so it helps to keep up. I understand ... let's say 85% what I hear, but rest might give trouble - that's when subs come in helpful. Movies and music lyrics is actually how I learned to extend my vocabulary. Sure school was good and all that, but ... you know. Sorry for being rude. Was a bit tired. :thumbs:
Yeah sorry my end too. I wasn't intending to be ignorant regarding english being easier to read than hear/speak for non native English speakers. I've heard English is actually one of the hardest languages to understand in terms of written word (due to our backwards approach to grammar vs most European languages), so that surprised me.

Note to USA members

If you want the USA release you need to order from Zavvi USA website or another USA retailer Website

Zavvi USA is now a separate website from Zavvi UK or the other Zavvi international websites

If you use Zavvi UK or any of ther other Zavvi international websites and set shipping location to USA you are ordering the UK release

If you want the USA release from Zavvi make sure you order from Zavvi USA website and set shipping location to USA if you based in USA
Members with a shipping location outside USA using Zavvi USA website the price will be a lot higher
Bare that in mind if ordering USA only releases from Zavvi USA website

USA release Jcard and Discs won't have BBFC age ratings

• Informative
Reactions: Shark
Zavvi UK
Deluxe Edition sold out for now

Steelbook only edition still available

Zavvi USA still have stock of the Arrow Video USA Deluxe Edition

Anyone else still stuck on the blue bar ("order placed")? Normally they go through without an issue, just pre-ordered another film and that has gone through as well.

Anyone else still stuck on the blue bar ("order placed")? Normally they go through without an issue, just pre-ordered another film and that has gone through as well.
I still have blue bar also. I’ve been led to believe this won’t cause any problems and go through without hitch.

Watched this over the weekend for the first time in over 20 years. Not sure if I watched the "best" cut, but the 3 hours cut was so long-winded and the movie wasn't half as good as I remember it being. I may re-watch at some point, but watch the original cut instead, either way, I'm definitely giving this a miss.

Watched this over the weekend for the first time in over 20 years. Not sure if I watched the "best" cut, but the 3 hours cut was so long-winded and the movie wasn't half as good as I remember it being. I may re-watch at some point, but watch the original cut instead, either way, I'm definitely giving this a miss.
Yeah the extended cut is an absolute sh*tshow imo. Terrible editing, quality and just adds in so much stuff thats not core to the story and unfortunately doesn't so much as expand the universe, but slow it to a near grinding holt...

In theory it should've been good, but it just wasn't. A fanedit i saw, splicing the theatrical with the extended, decently edited and scored, was a marked improvement. Still very long winded as you say though.

This release is atleast the theatrical, in what should be fantastic quality. So I'm relatively happy giving it another shot.

Reactions: davhyl