E3 09 - Sony's Conference A+

Jan 29, 2009
This year's Electronic Entertainment Expo is taking a giant step towards returning to the glitzy, people-packed shows of three years ago, with attendance expected to be about ten times last year's show and the exhibit halls nearly the same size as the shows that once included ear-splitting rock bands, fire juggling and bikini-clad models.

E3 2009 will also see the return of a more relaxed registration policy for show-goers and rules that once more allow models on the expo floor.

The return to the size and glamor of earlier E3s comes after two years of downsizing and falling attendance at the show that once drew 70,000 people to Los Angeles to revel in all things video game.

In 2006, the Entertainment Software Association announced they would be downsizing the show and moving it to Santa Monica. In 2007, the show returned to the Los Angeles Convention Center, but remained a shadow of its former self. Several developers decided to not attend last year's show, including Activision, Atlus, Bethesda Softworks, NCsoft, Vivendi Games and Warner Bros. Interactive.

This year's list of attendees shows that all but NCsoft are returning to the show.

“The 2009 E3 Expo will be the preeminent North American computer and video game event,” said Michael D. Gallagher, CEO of the ESA. “With robust exhibitor sales, high attendee interest, and strong commitments from multiple industry sectors, we are going to ensure the full excitement and energy of this industry is on display.”

Currently about 70 exhibitors are listed as attending the show, which is more than double the number at last year's. And event organizers say that the floor is filling up quickly.

"We encourage interested companies to contact us because floor sales are going quickly with more than half sold out," a spokesman told me.

Another major change to the show is the new registration policy which has been relaxed to allow more attendees to make it into the show. The last two shows were by invitation only. But this year's show return's to the 2006 policy of allowing people to register to get in.

e3_showfloor.jpg

The show is open to all "credentialed" international and U.S.-based media, industry analysts, retailers, developers and business partners.

Industry professionals need to submit two pieces of identification showing they work in the industry and press credentials are acquired by registering on the site. Both media credentialing and attenddee registration is now official open over on the e3 site.

While the show floor maps aren't yet available on the official site, I've heard that this year's show will essentially be the same size as 2006's convention hall-filling show but without Kentia Hall.

Source: kotaku.com/5144216/activision-and-booth-babes-returns-to-an-e3-ten-times-bigger-than-last-years

Last edited:
I just hope they don't announce something that's not gonna be out for 2 or 3 years. One year away is fine, but 2+ might as well wait to announce it.

David Jaffe said Sony was trying to fix that, because it was ok with print media, but with the internet, they can't do that or the hype train gets too big.

Yeah they need to fix the whole "Hey we got this game coming out....3 years from now" that's a bit dumb to do gets too much press and then can't deliver.

As this post hits, Chris and I will be on the way down to LA, where SCEA will be allowing some media outlets a sneak peek at some of the games we’ll be showing at E3, including:

* Heavy Rain
* White Knight Chronicles
* MotorStorm Arctic Edge
* Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier
* SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3
* Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Source: Playstation Blog

As this post hits, Chris and I will be on the way down to LA, where SCEA will be allowing some media outlets a sneak peek at some of the games we’ll be showing at E3, including:

* Heavy Rain
* White Knight Chronicles
* MotorStorm Arctic Edge
* Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier
* SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3
* Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Source: Playstation Blog

why would anyone care about a ps2 jak and daxter game? wtf sony!

As we write this, Sony will be demonstrating a few key E3 2009 titles to US journalists at a special invite-only event. We’d take the bus to London to see these, but the ol’ US of A is a ride too far for just a few demos, so sadly we’ll just have to wait until E3 itself to get our hands on the good stuff. However, now we know that the likes of Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles and Uncharted 2 are at least in some kind of playable form, we thought it would be a good idea to get together and discuss what else might be shown at E3. Big exclusives? PAL release dates for oft-delayed services? Team Ico…?

David: I’m reasonably optimistic for this years E3.

Alex: We have to be, don’t we? They’ve not even started the “oooh, E3 hype” yet, too, apart from some empty promises.

Nick: Well, as is the case every year they’ve been lording up the announcements a fair bit. There’s been a few confirmed reveals for Metal Gear Solid 5 and God Of War 3 but I think we should expect them to focus on the big AAA titles coming out this year, particularly MAG.

Greg: Definitely more details on MAG. I have no doubt we will see a new / refreshed PSP this year. But, especially if they’re dropping the UMD, I don’t think we’ll have an official announcement until later in the year. I think the mid-August Gamescom/GDC Europe in Cologne will be the time and place for that. With the device itself launching worldwide in September, while the announcement is still fresh in everyone’s mind and on magazine covers.

David: I’m not sure about the PSP. I have an inkling that it will be at E3 but if not then definitely later this year.

Greg: Yeah, I think that at E3 they will continue to push the 3000, as they’ve only recently launched some new colours here (last month) and are extending the colours available in the US. They’ll also use the next few months to continue to test, validate and assess reactions to different methods of PSP software distribution, a la Patapon 2’s code-in-a-box experiment.

Nick: I do think that if the rumors about the PSP 2/4000, which are quite numerous, are correct about a winter release they’re going to need to build up enough hype in time for chrimbo. This is ‘the year of the PSP’ so it would seem more likely that the bombshell this year is PSP based.

Greg: If LBP, Motorstorm, Assassin’s Creed, western release of Dissidia:FF, EA Sports titles (Madden, Tiger Woods) Rockband and the highly anticipated Hannah Montana are less than half of the big announcements, according to John Koller, I’m struggling to come up with possibilities for another half dozen. Hopefully there’ll be some really good surprises. I’d like to see an LBP: Object Creator, in the vein of Spore’s Creature Creator, where you could construct objects on your PSP and then upload them to your level on PS3 (assuming the already announced LBP doesn’t do that). This recession has pretty much come out of the blue and may affect their decision of when the right moment to reveal the new PSP is. Regardless, it looks like they’ll be holding true to their new found support for the PSP which is much needed.

Nick: I’m really hoping to see more of Heavy Rain and at least another cryptic Team Ico screen shot if only to let us know that they are still working on something. Uncharted and Ratchet should see demos and, if we’re lucky we’ll see that ever so infamous ‘BBC’ game.

Alex: There’s definitely demos of Uncharted, let’s hope for more on Ratchet too, yeah. How about financial stuff?

Greg: There’ll be an admission that the global recession has hit hardware sales, but that the PS3 is still in a strong position, despite its high price. It has not been hit as hard as the Wii, which is a ‘casual’ impulse purchase and is approaching market saturation, whereas PS3 is still selling to game fans. They’re bound to repeat that they were right not to have dropped the price. PS2 sales up following price drop, play down hardware sales expectations, going to continue to be a tough year for hardware. The PAL video store will likely be at Koln, this year’s equivalent of Leipzig.

David: Yeah, I don’t think we’ll hear anything about the PAL video store as I think this will come later, too.

Nick: Good predictions there Greg. I’d almost forgotten about the video store. I’d agree that we should expect another ‘it’s ready, like, now.’ They will definitely stick by their guns with the price cuts and lack there-of. I’m not sure how much they’ll bring the economy into it but not acknowledging it at all would be a mistake. I have high expectations for this year’s E3 despite having heard the pre-E3 hype a million times before. Sony are now well up to speed and are no longer fighting off the competition when it comes to who’s got a better release schedule.

Alex: Exclusives, then?

Nick: Yeah. With all their first party studios in full swing they’ve got some great exclusives to reel off that instantly makes the Xbox’s line up look all too weak. This is the point at which Sony, not giving in to buying its way to the front of the pack, shows how solid its relationship with both its studios and its new IP will be and how that strategy is much more effective in the long run.

Peter: I suspect they’ll announce titles and dates for casual stuff like that pet thingy and also play-demo Uncharted 2 and GoW III. They’ll talk up sales percentages and probably announce some convoluted way that they’re beating MS on sales.

Greg: Software sales will continue to be strong for everyone, with Sony pushing the exclusives. “Xbox? Who cares about that? Name one highly anticipated 360 game? Okay, apart from Halo:ODST.”

Alex: So no PSP 2, but what are we going with in terms of PS3 games?

David: MAG, Heavy Rain, GOW III, Ratchet, Team Ico and GT5, and I’m going to go with another 3 unannounced exclusive PS3 games.

Alex: Sounds good to me.

What are you hoping for this E3?

Source: thesixthaxis.com/2009/04/20/sony-at-e3-2009-some-great-exclusives/#comments

i'd cry if the new psp wasn't announced at E3. i'm in an argument with a fanboy on g.a.p. and i need this win haha

This E3 looks to be big. I really hope Sony brings the heat! I still don't understand why they don't open this up like Comic Con. There's SO much money to be made by doing that. Plus the free publicity from word-of-mouth.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

Last edited:
This E3 looks to be big. I really hope Sony brings the heat! I still don't understand why they don't open this up like Comic Con. There's SO much money to be made by doing that. Plus the free publicity from word-of-mouth.

That's why there's E for all, but it's not so popular. Also a big problem is the huge costs of the show, the last time they were in LA there was close to 60,000 people. A lost of these people aren't even part of the industry. They need to control it somehow to bring down the cost of the event.

That's why there's E for all, but it's not so popular. Also a big problem is the huge costs of the show, the last time they were in LA there was close to 60,000 people. A lost of these people aren't even part of the industry. They need to control it somehow to bring down the cost of the event.

But Comic Con's business model is perfect. They generate so much revenue for San Diego they're extending the convention hall for a second time to make room for it's needs.

Opening up to the public could be a good thing...

But on topic, I hope the rumored PS1 (sub)store opens up and we get games, especially FFVII.
________
Effects of wellbutrin

Last edited:
With E3 just a few months away, gamers around the world are clammoring for news on some hot tips as to what's to come. While we can almost guarantee a slew of information is coming for God of War III and Uncharted 2, here are a couple of games that, according to multiple sources, may be in the works.

Heavy Rain -
While this title has debuted at numerous E3's past, word has it that this sure to be gem may have a 2009 release after all. While we certainly won't get our hopes up, it's nice to see it is in the cards.

Shadow of the Colossus -
Here is one we weren't expecting. The sleeper hit of 2005 for the Playstation 2 is rumored to make its triumphant debut on the Playstation 3 next year. This news couldn't make us any happier since this is by far one of the most innovative story telling experiences of our time. It is still unclear if this will be a next gen title for Playstation 3, or a new game for the PSP, our hope is for both.

TimeSplitters 4 -
This title was rumored to be in development back in late 2008, however, with the fall of Free Radical, the games release lay in limbo. Has another developer taken the reigns of this franchise for one more go? I think so!

LittleBigPSP -
This little gem is one that we expect to hear more about this E3. While it is not technically a rumor anymore, we can be rest assured that Media Molecule will do their best to tie the two platforms together, allowing for transferrable user content to your favorite handheld.

We will certainly let you know more as information is released. Please remember, these are all strictly rumor as of now, but our crystal ball holds a little less haze every day.