EA closes the door on Pandemic Studios

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pandemic.jpg

It appears Electronic Arts has shut the doors of Pandemic, and in doing so, some 200 employees have lost their jobs. Kotaku reports that an internal memo from EA has confirmed the studio was shut down today with a “core IP team” being relocated to Electronic Arts’ Los Angeles office.

"I want to make it clear that the Pandemic brand and franchises will live on," Nick Earl, EA games label senior vice president, wrote in the memo. "In the months ahead, we will announce plans for new games based on Pandemic franchises.

"This type of change can be difficult. But the situation calls for us to act decisively, to take control of our destiny and to run a stronger, more focused development operation. That's how we will continue to make great games in our LA studios."

Key employees were laid off, including former CEO Andrew Goldman, former president Josh Resnick, and form VP of product development Greg Borrud. The studio started in 1998 and was purchased by EA in 2007 after successful releases of Full Spectrum Warrior, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Mercenaries.

Pandemic was working on the World War II era sandbox title The Saboteur, with a 2010 release date on multiple platforms. It’s unclear at this time how the closure will impact the game’s release.

Too bad...I am quite a fan of Star Wars: Battlefront.

Chief Aide: Make no mistake...this is a pan flute epidemic.
Senator: A pan-demic?

south_park_peruvian_pan_flute_band1.jpg

Did you guys ever see that leaked SW:BF3 video? there was this sweet engine where the player could get on a space ship and actually cross the atmostphere into space, pretty awesome stuff!

Too bad pandemic is going under.

Did you guys ever see that leaked SW:BF3 video? there was this sweet engine where the player could get on a space ship and actually cross the atmostphere into space, pretty awesome stuff!

Too bad pandemic is going under.
That was being developed by Free Radical...before they got swallowed up by Crytek. Rebelion I believe has taken over development for Battlefront 3 I believe. Still, I can probably see LucasArts developing the game inhouse in the end.

That was being developed by Free Radical...before they got swallowed up by Crytek. Rebelion I believe has taken over development for Battlefront 3 I believe. Still, I can probably see LucasArts developing the game inhouse in the end.

I didn't know that, but regardless that video was freakin sweet!