Equilibrium (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Canada]

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release date of November 8th, 2011.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/search?rh=i...eelbook&?tag=brcforumsca-20&tag=hidefnin0b-20

equilibrium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So then which edition (And affordable) is the best to view this film?
German, Italian, French, and Japanese Blu rays all appear to have the correct aspect ratio.
For a Region A version with the correct 2.35 aspect other than the Japanese disc, would be the Miramax/Echo Bridge combo disc that I menationed a few posts back. It is a weird solution - but the best one if you want an inexpensive, Region A, correct aspect ratio version.

German, Italian, French, and Japanese Blu rays all appear to have the correct aspect ratio.
For a Region A version with the correct 2.35 aspect other than the Japanese disc, would be the Miramax/Echo Bridge combo disc that I menationed a few posts back. It is a weird solution - but the best one if you want an inexpensive, Region A, correct aspect ratio version.
The correct aspect ratio is not such a big deal. The incorrect aspect ratio does not show less of the picture ( not cropped) but actually opens up the frame to show more of the picture. Therefore it's personal preference how you prefer the framing. Both are eminently watchable. Whats more important is the video quality and bit rate.

The correct aspect ratio is not such a big deal. The incorrect aspect ratio does not show less of the picture ( not cropped) but actually opens up the frame to show more of the picture. Therefore it's personal preference how you prefer the framing. Both are eminently watchable. Whats more important is the video quality and bit rate.
The framing is incorrect. The director did not want that framing.
If you open up the matte the compostition of the frame is completely off.
The lines below represent the matted image. When you remove the matte - there is more image, but the composition is ruined.
The space above and below was NEVER meant to be seen.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The framing is incorrect. The director did not want that framing.
If you open up the matte the compostition of the frame is completely off.
The lines below represent the matted image. When you remove the matte - there is more image, but the composition is ruined.
View attachment 261257
I am not saying that the framing is correct. I am saying it does not affect my viewing pleasure and I don't really care what Kurt Wimmer intended as long as I enjoy it.

Have to agree that correct aspect ratio is important. But I rather have a whrong AR with high bitrates than vice versa.
You should see the quality we dutch people get served :( BD25 is the standard.
Wow. That is rough. But a single layer BD25 can have a high bit rate and good PQ if authored correctly.
Sounds like they they are just doing the old "slap it on blu ray" without caring much.
In this day and age with our technology, being able to have a blu ray with proper AR and PQ is not really too much to ask.

The Alliance SAYS 2.35. It is not.
Thanks for the save :notworthy:

Last question, would you agree that in terms of PQ, that Japanese and then the Italian version are the best?

The director is not always right :wacky:
It's not about the director being right or wrong. A movie is somebody's vision. And you want to see that vision the way that person saw it in their head. I mean sure, i may not have every single movie in the correct aspect ratio or best pq but if i can help it, why not?

Think about it. If you filmed a movie, would you not want me to watch it the way you visioned it? What if people don't like the movie after watching a different version? :)

Thanks for the save :notworthy:

Last question, would you agree that in terms of PQ, that Japanese and then the Italian version are the best?

It's not about the director being right or wrong. A movie is somebody's vision. And you want to see that vision the way that person saw it in their head. I mean sure, i may not have every single movie in the correct aspect ratio or best pq but if i can help it, why not?

Think about it. If you filmed a movie, would you not want me to watch it the way you visioned it? What if people don't like the movie after watching a different version? :)
As to the PQ of the Italian and Japanese versions - I don't know. i have not seen them with my own eyes.
I would point you to Caps-a-holic site to compare them and see what you think. (Btw- higher bit rate does not always = better. I can author a blu ray of a VHS rip at a high bit rate, but the picture is still gonna look awful).

And I totally agree, that we need to see a film the way the director envisioned it. Sometimes when you open a matte, you might see a flag, or a mic or some crap on the floor that was not meant to be seen. Your takeaway might be that the director sucks for making so many mistakes when he didn't.
And if someone thinks that COMPOSITION of a shot is not important, rewatch Se7en or Silence of The Lambs and see how incredibly precise and important the shot composition is.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing