G.I.Joe: Retaliation - In theaters March 29, 2013

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
From IMDB:
The G.I. Joes are not only fighting their mortal enemy Cobra; they are forced to contend with threats from within the government that jeopardize their very existence.
With: Channing Tatum, The Rock; Bruce Willis, Ray Stevenson, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park and more...

Trailer:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:
In every clip they've shown, the movie looks so damn entertaining. I really can't believe that this film will be bad. Sure I expect the dialogue and story to be nothing special (like the first film), but according to those clips/trailers:

1. the action seems to be filmed well
2. the costumes are matching the original cartoon/comic book, and Cobra logos are used
3. they are using vehicles that look real and guns that shoot bullets
4. The Rock and Ray Stevenson

Why would it be bad or not entertaining?

The main problem I had with the first movie was the screwing up of costumes, the overkill amount of CGI, and the changing of characters backstories - not the dialogue or the story. G.I. Joe 2 has got to be better than the first one!

Last edited:
Reactions: GVZER
G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra: 2 out of 5 stars
G.I. Joe Retaliation: 2.5 out of 5 stars

I saw the movie in 2D tonight. Here's my take:

I'm a big fan of the comics as well as the cartoon from the 80s. The cartoon gave life and charisma to all the characters. The comic book gave the characters some depth.

Both G.I. Joe movies haven't really captured the great qualities from both mediums.

Both films are entertaining and the new film is slightly better than the first one, but I really don't feel like seeing either of them again.

Both films have some cool elements done right such as Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Baroness, Scarlett, Firefly, Roadblock and the ninja stuff.

But everything else is just "meh". Each movie has a couple cool action scenes but are buried under mediocre, poorly-filmed ones.

Cobra Commander: totally screwed in the first film and sort of fixed in the second one. The only thing good about his appearance in the second film is that he has his traditional look that everyone wanted. But his voice sucks - is just a low muffled generic voice that sounds like Claw from Inspector Gadget AND he's just boring. He walks around like a diva in this second one and is just not interesting or charismatic as he was depecited in the comic books and the cartoon.

Zartan:My favorite character from G.I. Joe comics/cartoon/toys is given a lot to do, is certainly more interesting than Cobra Commander, and Jonathan Pryce is having fun playing an evil president, but he's still not the bad-ass Zartan from the comics/cartoon. Sure he's an imposter president, but he's as exciting as Senator Kelly from the X-Men film. Zartan needs to kick ass and look like his comic book/cartoon version.
I liked how his bro Zandar showed up at least (played by the a-hole from Avatar).

Lady Jaye: she's definitely attractive but Scarlett had more charisma and was more like the comic book version

Jinx, General Cotton, and Flint: I'm happy they were included but they were just boring and background characters in the film.

If this comic book/cartoon series was perfectly adapted into a totally new reboot, I would definitely include and not change anything with Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Roadblock, Firefly, Scarlett and Baroness. But everyone else needs to either be recast and/or fixed up somehow.

I have to say though, Stevenson's Firefly was the highlight of the film - he was just perfect and he grasped everything what made this character so cool and badass from the comic book/cartoon.

And what the hell IMDB - there IS NO SGT. SLAUGHTER IN THIS FILM. A-holes. I was expecting him to show up, but he didn't.

Nothing after the end credits by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: GVZER
I'm on my way to the movies. I was huge fun of the cartoon and I have the entire 25th Anniversary collection of Action Figures. As most of you I didn't like the first movie at all. Hopefully I will have more fun with the second, but I have very low expectations to honest.

Just came back from watching this.

Was ok, better than the first of course (even if I'm one of the rare who enjoyed the 1st) but yeah, I'll have to agree, this is just an action movie. Where's the depth?

Roadblock: badass, as always!
Jaye: pure eye candy, congrats girl.
Cobra Commander: looks WAYYYY better... but... tiny role IMO...
Firefly: always loved Stevenson, and he's great again!
Ninja fight: that's the way to do some :ninja: fight!
General Bruce Willis (or whatever his name): "Brenda" :hilarious:

More in spoilers:
Seriously, what's that Duke's death??? We see nothing? It's just like boom boom boom, he's dead...

Storm shadow changing side?
Whhaaaaatttt??? Never read the comics and don't remember the TV series, but still... whaaatttt???

Final thought:
I enjoyed, Miss Drum enjoyed and Baby Drum kept kicking in Miss Drums belly during the whole movie... he must have enjoyed it too. :scat:

went to see it this evening & it does exactly what it says on the tin it's a big dumb loud OTT actioner with cracking action set pieces and great 3D the addition of both bruce willis & the rock is a stroke of genious, if you go to see it at your local showcase cinema you get a free pair of limited edition GI-Jones 3D glasses.

so is it worth going to see? well in the words of roadblock "hell yeah" :thumbs:

Saw this last night. Thought the 3D conversion was terrible and wished I could've watched in 2D

The film itself was great fun though and look forward to watching it again

It was exactly what I wanted ... except for Duke part. It was 100x better then part 1.

Second that, The Rock was absolutely insane, the guys a beast, only thing that pissed me off was the latino looking, south affrican speaking, Japanese Ninja lol

Saw this in 3D over the weekend. I just couldn't get into it. I will admit the 3D battle on the mountain was pretty cool, as well as London getting blowed up.:D Will give this another chance when it comes out on blu.