Galaxy Quest (20th Anniversary) (Blu-ray SteelBook) [USA]

frankfish44

Cule
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Release date: September 17, 2019 - July 12, 2022 (Re-release)
Purchase links: Amazon - Best Buy
Price: $14.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

1562880014045.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you happen to remember how far in that part is? And what’s the fix?

The movie was potentially going to be R-rated and there’s a shot when Sigourney Weaver clearly says “well F*** THAT!” but it’s dubbed “well SCREW THAT!” and we’ll probably never see the R/unrated version.

This is the same disc as 2009 so no changes to the movie and no new bonus material either. Just a beautiful steelbook.

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles and milky
The movie was potentially going to be R-rated and there’s a shot when Sigourney Weaver clearly says “well F*** THAT!” but it’s dubbed “well SCREW THAT!” and we’ll probably never see the R/unrated version.

This is the same disc as 2009 so no changes to the movie and no new bonus material either. Just a beautiful steelbook.
There has never been any sign of that scene unrated in any form anywhere (other than the cutting room floor). I wish there was.
That dub drives me nuts.(and it would obviously be much funnier with the original F bomb)
I also wish they had gone with their original plan of having the film aspect ratio be 1.33 and only go widescreen 2.35 once they get into space.
(This was used to GREAT effect with the theatrical screenings of Peter Jackson's THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD. The film is presented in 1.33 Black and White, and when it goes color (and 3D) the screen opens up to 1.85).

• Informative
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart

Like "Throw Momma From The Train." I love that movie. There is a scene when Billy Crystal is reading out the title of a book one of his students is writing. The line is obviously "100 women I'd like to F***" but what you hear is "100 women I'd like to pork"

You can tell pork is not what he says and the volume is louder than the rest of the line so you can tell it was dubbed.
The second time he mentions the title of the book he says "100 women I'd like to (then he makes an oomph kind of sound instead of saying the word.) That was obviously so as not to push their luck with the rating but I guess they decided to change the first line too.

Like "Throw Momma From The Train." I love that movie. There is a scene when Billy Crystal is reading out the title of a book one of his students is writing. The line is obviously "100 women I'd like to F***" but what you hear is "100 women I'd like to pork"

You can tell pork is not what he says and the volume is louder than the rest of the line so you can tell it was dubbed.
The second time he mentions the title of the book he says "100 women I'd like to (then he makes an oomph kind of sound instead of saying the word.) That was obviously so as not to push their luck with the rating but I guess they decided to change the first line too.
Interesting factoid that blew my mind:
The entire LORD OF THE RINGS movies are ADRed. (Dubbed). Zero production dialog.
That is the best ADR ever. I never even noticed.

There has never been any sign of that scene unrated in any form anywhere (other than the cutting room floor). I wish there was.
That dub drives me nuts.(and it would obviously be much funnier with the original F bomb)
I also wish they had gone with their original plan of having the film aspect ratio be 1.33 and only go widescreen 2.35 once they get into space.
(This was used to GREAT effect with the theatrical screenings of Peter Jackson's THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD. The film is presented in 1.33 Black and White, and when it goes color (and 3D) the screen opens up to 1.85).

That's what people keep telling me but I didn't see it in the theater only after. When I bought the dvd years later, I was pissed that they changed it. I finally figured out that I rented a Laserdisc the first time I saw it and I'm pretty sure it didn't have the edit. Maybe someone here has a copy on laserdisc and can confirm?

fyi, a PG-13 movie can have one f word in it.

That's what people keep telling me but I didn't see it in the theater only after. When I bought the dvd years later, I was pissed that they changed it. I finally figured out that I rented a Laserdisc the first time I saw it and I'm pretty sure it didn't have the edit. Maybe someone here has a copy on laserdisc and can confirm?

fyi, a PG-13 movie can have one f word in it.
Checked with our resident Laserdisc expert - Galaxy Quest was never on Laserdisc. Shame, I was hoping that was true and I could grab that footage.

Checked with our resident Laserdisc expert - Galaxy Quest was never on Laserdisc. Shame, I was hoping that was true and I could grab that footage.
We’re they still releasing on laser disk in 99 or 2000? You’d think all the videophiles would have moved to DVD by then. Even I picked one up in 98 (but I never had a laser disk).

I was renting Laser Discs at the time so assumed it was an LD. That scene was so disappointing compared to my first reaction when I finally bought the dvd years later.

Laserdiscs ended production in 2000.

It ended in 2004. They were still doing karaoke pressings as late as December 2004. The Sixth Day was one of the last commercial films to be released in the format in 2000 . And bear in mind it only got pulled because they studios didn't want any competition with DVD. It wasn't fans who killed the format but the studios. DVD came out in 1997 and within months laserdisc started to fall off rapidly in the USA and but not so much in Japan. The demand by fans fell on deaf ears and within 18 months laserdisc production had stopped all together. That's how ruthless the studios were in killing it dead. The last laserdisc player to be made I think was the Pioneer model in January 14th 2009. They made 300 final models of the CLD 7RG which was a variant of the S9 Japanese model.

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles
I was renting Laser Discs in 1997-99. I remember the video store I rented at as I had moved to this area in 1997. I'd still like to know how I saw that version of the movie.

You probably seen a HD VHS pressing of it. High Definition video was available at the time in the USA around 1999 and Galaxy Quest was one of the titles available. High Definition laserdisc was only available in Japan from 1995 but sadly Galaxy Quest was never one of the titles released on HD laserdisc.

It ended in 2004. They were still doing karaoke pressings as late as December 2004. The Sixth Day was one of the last commercial films to be released in the format in 2000 . And bear in mind it only got pulled because they studios didn't want any competition with DVD. It wasn't fans who killed the format but the studios. DVD came out in 1997 and within months laserdisc started to fall off rapidly in the USA and but not so much in Japan. The demand by fans fell on deaf ears and within 18 months laserdisc production had stopped all together. That's how ruthless the studios were in killing it dead. The last laserdisc player to be made I think was the Pioneer model in January 14th 2009. They made 300 final models of the CLD 7RG which was a variant of the S9 Japanese model.
they stopped making laserdiscs of new MOVIES in 2000. I have no idea about the ancillary stuff.
I think the last one was THE CELL. (Although one movie, TOKYO RAIDERS was released in 2002 only in Japan)

Last edited:
Something online said the original audio scored well with test audiences. Perhaps you got to see an early screening or something.