Godzilla: Minus One (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Deluxe Edition) (Amazon Exclusive) [Japan]

Release date: May 1, 2024
Purchase link: Amazon JP
Price: ¥15,100
Notes: Digipack release that also Includes Empty SteelBook

IMG_7015.jpeg

SteelBook
IMG_7014.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Er, blu-rays can contain up to 32 audio languages. I've seen discs contain English, French, and Spanish, German, Portuguese, Thai, Mandarin subs to name a few.

When approximately 17% of the world speaks English, yes it surprises me that a Japanese disc wouldn't contain a variety of subs to cater for other regions.

That's money on the table right there, so yeah, crazy.

*Edit. Maybe "crazy" is overcooking it ... Just surprises me is all.

Discs have multiple languages on them if they are used in multiple countries. Various audio tracks/subtitles cost license fees.

Elvis pretty much sums it up there. I know discs have the ability to stick pretty much everything but the kitchen sink on them, but from a regional distributors POV, there's absolutely no need to cater to markets for which the release is not intended. It's an additional cost and resource that isn't a requirement for the country of release. It's different if it's shared or worldwide.

You see it all the time, with foreign language discs, in France and Italy etc.. it's no different here. It's annoying, but understandable if you think about it.

I quite like the design of the steelbook. Will the steelbook fit in the Digipack slipbox? For safety during shipping

I've ordered the Ghostbusters Afterlife Amazon Jp exclusive and it arrived damaged all over.
Unlikely, if other releases are anything to go by. It may fit in there, instead of the digipack, but I doubt it'll be prepacked inside there. It's essentially an external added extra.

• Informative
Reactions: JRodDirector
Crazy for a Japanese language film, in a Japanese only release, not to have non-japanense subtitles? Lets unpack that for a second.. there's nothing crazy about it really is there lol
They gotta know those are ordered overseas, imported. Not sure if a big part of the print run usually sells to outside of Japan buyers, but especially with this film that they marketed and showed all over the world, and garnered success including up to Oscar nomination, that there should be interest in their release on disc, world's first to boot.

Reactions: Punker76 and milky
Er, blu-rays can contain up to 32 audio languages. I've seen discs contain English, French, and Spanish, German, Portuguese, Thai, Mandarin subs to name a few.

When approximately 17% of the world speaks English, yes it surprises me that a Japanese disc wouldn't contain a variety of subs to cater for other regions.

That's money on the table right there, so yeah, crazy.

*Edit. Maybe "crazy" is overcooking it ... Just surprises me is all.
Well said....

Reactions: Punker76
Yeah I doubt this will have subs but even if it did would be only on the movies. Paying this much and not being able to watch extras is no go for me haha

Reactions: milky
You mean you wish a premium would do it? Not a custom vinyl wrap lol
yeah i dont know what he was actually planning but yeah, i want a premium with that art and not this.. crap, sorry

it looks like an edition you buy for 30€ one year after the hype is over

They gotta know those are ordered overseas, imported. Not sure if a big part of the print run usually sells to outside of Japan buyers, but especially with this film that they marketed and showed all over the world, and garnered success including up to Oscar nomination, that there should be interest in their release on disc, world's first to boot.
Why would they care? It's like the highest grossing domestic JP film... they'll have no problem selling it out in their own country. Lots of you fail to realise foreign distributors simply do not have access to subs and tracks that were not distributed in their country. Companies like nova are the exception, as they know their market is the international collectors community.

It's a massive hit, comparative to budget and intertional language limitations.
It'll be released overseas.
With appropriate subtitles.
Surely you just wait for the inevitable release with according language subs?

Unless, it's a French release :naughty: :hilarious:

• Haha
Reactions: milky and samdavies
Screenshot_20240305_223228_Chrome.jpg

[Main story DISC① 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray]
Main story 125 minutes / 3 layers (100G) / 4K 2160p 16:9 Scope size / Dolby Vision
Audio: (1) Japanese Dolby Atmos (2) Japanese 5.1ch Dolby TrueHD
(3) Japanese 2.0ch Dolby TrueHD (4) Barrier-free Japanese audio guide 2.0ch Dolby TrueHD
Subtitles: Barrier-free Japanese subtitles

So I am UNSURE of the validity behind this claim because I can see no sources to back it up, but- ALLEGEDLY due to arrangements between Toho and Legendary, Minus One won’t be getting an international Bluray release until as early as 2025, so everyone waiting on that might be waiting for quite some time.

So they paid a lot of money to not make their pink fight club Godzilla look miserable next to the real one, got it. :spoil:

Reactions: Granada
So I am UNSURE of the validity behind this claim because I can see no sources to back it up, but- ALLEGEDLY due to arrangements between Toho and Legendary, Minus One won’t be getting an international Bluray release until as early as 2025, so everyone waiting on that might be waiting for quite some time.

Well I had already heard Toho had an agreement with Legendary not to make a new Godzilla movie until the "Monsterverse" was up and running.... Hence the pause since Shin Godzilla.

Hope we can at least get a digital/streaming copy to tide us over until physical gets released?

game of thrones omg GIF by Sky