Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray Box Set ) (The Criterion Collection) [USA]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 29, 2019
Purchase links: Amazon - Criterion Shop
Price: $164.99 - $112.49 (Amazon) - $179.96 (Criterion)
Notes: Limited Edition - Region A locked
71Gc4Yf76gL__SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • High-definition digital transfers of all fifteen Godzilla films made between 1954 and 1975, released together for the first time, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • High-definition digital transfer of Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956), the U.S.-release version of Godzilla
  • Japanese-release version of King Kong vs. Godzilla from 1962
  • Audio commentaries from 2011 on Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters featuring film historian David Kalat
  • International English-language dub tracks for Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla
  • Directors Guild of Japan interview with director Ishiro Honda, conducted by director Yoshimitsu Banno in 1990
  • Programs detailing the creation of Godzilla's special effects and unused effects sequences from Toho releases including Destroy All Monsters
  • New interview with filmmaker Alex Cox about his admiration for the Showa-era Godzilla films
  • New and archival interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Bin Furuya, Tsugutoshi Komada, Haruo Nakajima, and Akira Takarada; composer Akira Ifukube; and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai
  • Interview with critic Tadao Sato from 2011
  • Illustrated audio essay from 2011 about the real-life tragedy that inspired Godzilla
  • New English subtitle translations
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: A lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book featuring an essay by cinema historian Steve Ryfle, notes on the films by cinema historian Ed Godziszewski, and new illustrations by Arthur Adams, Sophie Campbell, Becky Cloonan, Jorge Coelho, Geof Darrow, Simon Gane, Robert Goodin, Benjamin Marra, Monarobot, Takashi Okazaki, Angela Rizza, Yuko Shimizu, Bill Sienkiewicz, Katsuya Terada, Ronald Wimberly, and Chris Wisnia
BOX SET CONTENT:

Godzilla
1954 • 96 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

Godzilla Raids Again
1955 • 81 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

King Kong vs. Godzilla
U.S.-RELEASE VERSION
1963 • 91 minutes • Color • Monaural • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Mothra vs. Godzilla
1964 • 89 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
1964 • 93 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Invasion of Astro-Monster
1965 • 94 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio
1966 • 86 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Son of Godzilla
1967 • 85 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Destroy All Monsters
1968 • 89 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

All Monsters Attack
1969 • 69 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Godzilla vs. Hedorah
1971 • 85 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Godzilla vs. Gigan
1972 • 89 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Godzilla vs. Megalon
1973 • 81 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
1974 • 84 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Terror of Mechagodzilla
1975 • 83 minutes • Color • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

71Gc4Yf76gL__SL1500_.jpg 10925_tn.jpg 10926_tn.jpg 10927_tn.jpg

Reactions: bloodsnake007
Definite buy, target had this for $150 (it'll probably be back up soon) and I believe Diabolik also has it for that same price.

as a BIG godzilla fan, i would love to order this, but is probably going to be region A, and Criterion do not ship internationally. the amazon price tag + shipping makes it damn expensive.

as a BIG godzilla fan, i would love to order this, but is probably going to be region A, and Criterion do not ship internationally. the amazon price tag + shipping makes it damn expensive.
Wait for the bi-annual B&N criterion 50% off sale and find a Ninja who would be willing to get it for you and ship it.. :thumbs:
(We are in the middle of one of them - so the next one won't be for a while. But, Criterion also does 48 hour flash sales from time to time too).
On the plus side - it isn't a limited edition (as far as I know)

Last edited:
Wait for the bi-annual B&N criterion 50% off sale and find a Ninja who would be willing to get it for you and ship it.. :thumbs:
(We are in the middle of one of them - so the next one won't be for a while. But, Criterion also does 48 hour flash sales from time to time too).
On the plus side - it isn't a limited edition (as far as I know)

Thanks for your advice !
I think that it is my best option so far.
Now there is still the Region A issue, but considering i don't have english subtitles on my final box, i should not consider the region as an issue ;)
I hope somebody will update this thread when the sales occurs.

Also wonder if criterion will secure the rights of the heisei and millenium movies.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice !
I think that it is my best option so far.
Now there is still the Region A issue, but considering i don't have english subtitles on my final box, i should not consider the region as an issue ;)
I hope somebody will update this thread when the sales occurs.

Also wonder if criterion will secure the rights of the heisei and millenium movies.
If it's in your budget- region free players can be had for $100. (And believe me - they pay themselves off very quickly. The world becomes your oyster - Every release in the world is o.k. For you to buy and watch!)