cooey

Premium Supporter
Jan 5, 2012
UK
Release date: January 30, 2017
Purchase link: Groundhog Day
Price: £14.99
HDN Group Buy: hosted by cooey
Note: Overall matte Varnish, Gloss Spot UV on the front and back, 20-40% tints of white for the snowflakes (front and back), metallic tints through brass of clock

Groundhog Day Exclusive Zoom Steelbook Image1.jpg
Groundhog Day Exclusive Zoom Steelbook Outside cover Cover.jpg Groundhog Day Exclusive Zoom Steelbook Inside Cover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see Zoom releasing some catalogue titles.

I didn't realise this was a zoom release.. just assume its zavvi when steels get announced for the uk, I'm so happy zoom is taking on exclusives. it'll be nice to see some more catalogue titles and I bet zoom will do them at a more realistic price too.. fingers crossed:)

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
This announcement made me just smile involuntarily. Absolutely LOVE this film!

But the January release is a bit of a killer. There's some films I enjoy most around that festive time!
Hopefully it'll still be knocking around later in 2017.

Wow Zoom and Zavvi are having a "who can do it worse" competition

Every god damn time I love the film it gets bad to average artwork

• Thanks
Reactions: chunk
And you think Zoom had a choice? Lol
They work with what they get. Pre-approwed artwork.

And if I had to choose between this and nothing, I'd choose this :)

Look the way I see it is they are selling a product for them, if they think a better artwork will sell more faster and at full price with reducing it later on meaning less of a profit for both companies then they are missing out

You're missing the point. The studios decide what artwork can and can't be used. it's their intellectual property not Zavvi or any other retailer. The retailer is simply a go between for the studio and the public. Not their property so they don't have any say in the mater. it's as brutal as that. it's all about protecting your copyright.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Nice! Liking the look of this and happy to see another original poster design used as the steelbook front inspiration . . . perfectly understated and thankfully less going on than on the poster and on the previous Amaray artwork :-
Poster design by INSYNC PLUS

More than likely the same disc as inside the numbered spine (#16) white 'n' gold glossy slipcover Special Edition 2012 Amaray release with the same Extras so will probably not be pre-ordering as I have that edition:-
2655_large.jpg

upload_2016-11-30_22-35-0.png

upload_2016-11-30_22-36-58.png

Ahem . . . lol:-
b68de5ba-5a88-4380-8783-cf38b44bab4d_groundhog_phil.jpg

Great film, though, and a welcome steelbook release for a modern classic and would be cool to have SCROGGED and LOST IN TRANSLATION next as Bill Murray is badly represented in U.K. steelbooks (GHOSTBUSTERS 1 & 2, GROUNDHOG DAY, ZOMBIELAND, GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, SPACE JAM, JUNGLE BOOK and most of those aren't even leading roles . . .)

Wouldn't have said "no" to a slipcase for this, though, but unfortunately Sony seem to be leaving those to Universal and Paramount . . .
(No knocking Sony's lenticulars which are very satisfactory . . . but their thin j-cards suck).

Nice! Liking the look of this and happy to see another original poster design used as the steelbook front inspiration . . . perfectly understated and thankfully less going on than on the poster and on the previous Amaray artwork :-
Poster design by INSYNC PLUS

More than likely the same disc as inside the numbered spine (#16) white 'n' gold glossy slipcover Special Edition 2012 Amaray release with the same Extras so will probably not be pre-ordering as I have that edition:-
2655_large.jpg

View attachment 279279
View attachment 279280

Ahem . . . lol:-
b68de5ba-5a88-4380-8783-cf38b44bab4d_groundhog_phil.jpg

Great film, though, and a welcome steelbook release for a modern classic and would be cool to have SCROGGED and LOST IN TRANSLATION next as Bill Murray is badly represented in U.K. steelbooks (GHOSTBUSTERS 1 & 2, GROUNDHOG DAY, ZOMBIELAND, GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, SPACE JAM, JUNGLE BOOK and most of those aren't even leading roles . . .)

Wouldn't have said "no" to a slipcase for this, though, but unfortunately Sony seem to be leaving those to Universal and Paramount . . .
(No knocking Sony's lenticulars which are very satisfactory . . . but their thin j-cards suck).

Would love Scrooged and like I mentioned in the manta mystery title thread the other day I would love lost in translation

Infact a lot on here would love LIT

A while back (think it was Eone direct) they wanted to do a UK steel for it but the studio rejected their art choices so in honesty I don't want a crappy looking LIT steel from the UK that some tw*t working for the studio thinks what art we should have and I'm really hoping a premium retailer like kimchi Blu collection pick it up. They would do it justice

That's goes into my want list of wanting kimchi Blu collection (or standard kimchi) to also tackle fight club, inherent vice, blue ruin, where the wild things are (well even being malcovich and adaptation), donnie darko, and anything Wes Anderson since Rushmore (especially tenembaums, life aquatic, Darjeeling, fantastic fox and moonrise) but I can wish a - they already tackled some of my favs and smashed it with memento, her, eternal sunshine and it follows

If there were a really good Lost in Translation steelbook, I would buy one for every room in my house. :) That's one of my top wish-list steelbooks. But as you said, even the possibility of a lame LIT steelbook makes me content with none.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Look the way I see it is they are selling a product for them, if they think a better artwork will sell more faster and at full price with reducing it later on meaning less of a profit for both companies then they are missing out

Okay, lets put it this way. If a company - let's say Zoom :) - rejects the product based on poor artwork and their thoughts that it won't sell so good, Sony would say okay, thanks for your input and killed the deal with Zoom. Sony then goes to Zavvi (a steelbook harlot) and they accept. Who do you think they will go to when a next project is in the works? Basic logic, they go where they don't care what they're selling as long as they are the ones selling it. And just by thinking that a £100,000 deal makes a difference to a company as big as Sony, you're wrong. They make million £ deals probably every week or so.

If Zoom rejected steelbooks like that they would stop selling exclusive steelbooks as no one would want to work with them.

I hope this helped you understand why companies like Zoom or Zavvi or HMV or any other for that matter have no say in what the artwork should be. They can make suggestions but they usually don't fly.

So, back on topic, I hope Zoom starts shipping outside of UK soon. I want to get this but I don't want to pay crazy prices for it. I reckon it's gonna have a £15.99 price tag which is fine by me.

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
Okay, lets put it this way. If a company - let's say Zoom :) - rejects the product based on poor artwork and their thoughts that it won't sell so good, Sony would say okay, thanks for your input and killed the deal with Zoom. Sony then goes to Zavvi (a steelbook harlot) and they accept. Who do you think they will go to when a next project is in the works? Basic logic, they go where they don't care what they're selling as long as they are the ones selling it. And just by thinking that a £100,000 deal makes a difference to a company as big as Sony, you're wrong. They make million £ deals probably every week or so.

This is exactly the problem - Zavvi have proven time and time again that they will happily accept any old crap that the studios vomit out and slap onto a steelbook. The issue then is that studios get lazy because they know that there is at least one retailer that will sell their product no matter how little effort they put into the design.

• Thanks
Reactions: javiermendoza