Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: August 1, 2023
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $38.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

1D612241-A2A1-43A5-8961-1A8248ADF9FD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
She did better works. I don’t really think Bella graced the Guardians of her talent.

BTW I don’t really appreciate this trend to use commissioned artworks as steelbooks covers. Particularly if artwork isn’t mind blowing.
Cover was astonishing on the EEAAO using James Jean art. BP Wakanda Forever Talocan by Mexifunk was a good concept. These are good examples of good art well used.
But overall, I far prefer a movie official poster as front artwork on steels.
You must remember that the artists isn't always given total freedom with what they create when it comes to this type of work, and may even go through many different versions with feedback from the studio before they're happy. Not saying that what definitely the case here, but just something worth considering.

She did better works. I don’t really think Bella graced the Guardians of her talent.

BTW I don’t really appreciate this trend to use commissioned artworks as steelbooks covers. Particularly if artwork isn’t mind blowing.
Cover was astonishing on the EEAAO using James Jean art. BP Wakanda Forever Talocan by Mexifunk was a good concept. These are good examples of good art well used.
But overall, I far prefer a movie official poster as front artwork on steels.
This is wayYY better than what we got with Doctor Strange:MoM. That was a very basic use and felt like Disney sometimes doesn't even try their hand at doing something good.

IMO the problem comes in when the poster is used for the regular release / slipcover, and then the studio (in the past) would have their marketing department photoshop something straight from the 9th level of hell.

This is a MASSIVE improvement over what we used to get.

You must remember that the artists isn't always given total freedom with what they create when it comes to this type of work, and may even go through many different versions with feedback from the studio before they're happy. Not saying that what definitely the case here, but just something worth considering.

Don't forget likeness authorization! Sometimes it's impossible to do anything but the original art that was signed off on (or riff from) because the actor is impossible to contact / get approval from on likeness. (And the other work around is not to show their face as well lol)

The converse is Keanu who seems to be pretty active in how his likeness gets used in general and that's how we get a bunch of art from Lionsgate.

IMO the problem comes in when the poster is used for the regular release / slipcover, and then the studio (in the past) would have their marketing department photoshop something straight from the 9th level of hell.

This is a MASSIVE improvement over what we used to get.

I personally think cover art should be based on:
- 1st: movie poster with, if possible, the actors. It’s the best way to respect their work and investment in the movie.
- 2nd: a strong or symbolic element of the movie. For exemple Cap A’s shield. Iron Man’s helmet. Starlord’s Walkman. Docteur Strange’s Book of Cagliostro. You could add other examples like World of Warcraft, the symbols used for the Mummy trilogy. The submarine for U-571.

I agree with what you mean about the photoshoped covers. Some were a real mess (Black Panther ink spot).

I’m not against commissioned works by artists. When it’s well thought before.
It can give us great art. For example Lionsgate Ran. Really well thought and executed. And same for other Lionsgate steels.

But when you look at this GOTG 3 steel… huh.
Like you and @Noodles said, a lot of things interfere with the final art:
- what the customer asked
- likeness

But considering this particular steel, I don’t know if there was a clear artistic direction, but the final results is an excess of characters appearing, which I find disturbing. Poses with no interactions. Characters are just thrown on the GOTG emblem. Supporting roles and extras are there for no clear reason.
What was the movie about : Guardians, Master of Evolution, Rocket Raccoon.
Too many characters and informations on this artwork. And clearly artistic direction didn’t play it’s role. And the artist lacks of rationality in her art on this one.

Thought, as we won’t have premiums anymore for Marvel releases, and as GOTG is my favorite trilogy of the Marvel Universe, I will probably buy it.