Ontario, Kanada
Release date : JUNE 21, 2019
Links: Nova, Kimchi
Price: 26.99 USD
1561204374632.png

01.jpg

Reactions: C.C. 95
I guess so? haha
Can't wait to watch it! It's been a while for me.
Yeah, I have not watched that movie in a long time. And I have never seen the director's cut.

From Movie-Censorship:

Director's Cut: 103:30 (107:15) minutes
Theatrical version: 93:00 (96:23) minutes

Cut and alternative scenes: 143 scenes

"After Miramax had been reluctant to release this movie from Zhang Yimou in the US a long time (but eventually did, however in a cut version and after more than two years and, due to the cuts, not in the director's favorite version), Quentin Tarantino as a a fan of Asian films could make the studio to finally release an uncut version of the movie, however only available in China first.
The additional 10 Minutes are unfortunately not filled with spectacular new footage. There's just two new scenes and many of the original cuts in the movie seem to have been made for time shortening reasons.
Above all, the martial arts fights benefit the most from the additional footage as they seem more fluent now. The fight between Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi in the forest looks much smoother than before. In the theatrical version, some shots didn't match the previous one and protagonists often changed their positions from one shot to another. Now, almost everything fits together nicely. The same applies to the fight on the lake. Zhang Ziyi now is allowed to play a bit more, so she doesn't seem as passive as in the other version.

In conclusion, the Director's Cut is clearly the better choice compared to the theatrical version."

The steelbook fits perfectly!

Hero 1.jpg Hero 2.jpg Hero 3.jpg

I also used the interior of the blu-ray cover to change the interior art of the steelbook. Not a perfect fit, but an improvement over the dull, black and white image that was in the steelbook.

Hero 4.jpg Hero 5.jpg

The slipcover itself is not terribly exciting. A little bit of embossing and spot gloss on the title (front and spine), but other than that, it's all a matte paper finish. I haven't watched the director's cut yet, but I did put the disc in to make sure it works, and I see that the English prologue text still says "are abound with"... :(

The steelbook fits perfectly!

View attachment 436475 View attachment 436476 View attachment 436477

I also used the interior of the blu-ray cover to change the interior art of the steelbook. Not a perfect fit, but an improvement over the dull, black and white image that was in the steelbook.

View attachment 436478 View attachment 436479

The slipcover itself is not terribly exciting. A little bit of embossing and spot gloss on the title (front and spine), but other than that, it's all a matte paper finish. I haven't watched the director's cut yet, but I did put the disc in to make sure it works, and I see that the English prologue text still says "are abound with"... :(

What you mean by that ? Thanks !

What you mean by that ? Thanks !
The English text at the beginning of the film reads:

Two thousand years ago... during the Warring States period, China was divided into seven Kingdoms.
For years they battled for supremacy while the people suffered.
The King of Qin was the most ruthless in his efforts to conquer the land and unify all under heaven.
He was regarded as a common threat by the other six Kingdoms.
The annals of Chinese history are abound with tales of the assassins sent to kill the great King.
This is one of those legends...

It should say just "abound with" (or "are abundant with"), so when I watch the movie with this version of the English subtitles, I have a few seconds of thinking more about translation than about the story. And then I return to the story. :) It's not a huge deal, but I'm an editor, so it sticks out to me. I know it's not uncommon for English subs to be awkward in places, but for such a high-profile film, it's reasonable to expect good subs.

The English text at the beginning of the film reads:

Two thousand years ago... during the Warring States period, China was divided into seven Kingdoms.
For years they battled for supremacy while the people suffered.
The King of Qin was the most ruthless in his efforts to conquer the land and unify all under heaven.
He was regarded as a common threat by the other six Kingdoms.
The annals of Chinese history are abound with tales of the assassins sent to kill the great King.
This is one of those legends...

It should say just "abound with" (or "are abundant with"), so when I watch the movie with this version of the English subtitles, I have a few seconds of thinking more about translation than about the story. And then I return to the story. :) It's not a huge deal, but I'm an editor, so it sticks out to me. I know it's not uncommon for English subs to be awkward in places, but for such a high-profile film, it's reasonable to expect good subs.
As an editor - the internet must drive you nuts:hilarious:.
It's like someone decreed (upon the invention of publishing online) that all copy editors must be banished.:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: ethnosax
As an editor - the internet must drive you nuts:hilarious:.
It's like someone decreed (upon the invention of publishing online) that all copy editors must be banished.:LOL:
Ha! No, it's fine—the quick pace of language innovation on the internet has led to all sorts of useful and amusing neologisms. :) And there's definitely a difference between casual, informal writing (where errors can be overlooked) and professional writing (which is supposed to be technically correct).

Ha! No, it's fine—the quick pace of language innovation on the internet has led to all sorts of useful and amusing neologisms. :) And there's definitely a difference between casual, informal writing (where errors can be overlooked) and professional writing (which is supposed to be technically correct).
No, I mean - NYT online, Wall Street Journal online - major publications.
I saw an article in NYT a week ago with a grammatical error in THE FIRST SENTENCE of an article!
I understand that sloppy, quick, once-over copy editing can't catch everything....but the first sentence?!!
(It drives ME nuts!)