HMV.co.jp - SteelBook Retailer Thread [Japan]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks.

images

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q) What is the link to HMV JP?
A) http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/

Q) I haven't mastered Japanese yet - how can I read the site?
A) Install Google translate on your browser:

Google Chrome HERE
Firefox HERE

Q) How do I register?
A) Click on 'New Customers' and follow the very easy on screen instructions!

Q) Do they ship outside of Japan?
A) Yes, worldwide Via EMS (tracked) mail - check HERE for countries they deliver to + prices

Q) What form of packing do they use?
A) Depends on quantity you order, see below:

1-2 steelbooks (standard)
(Thanks to Drum18 for pics)

attachment.php

View attachment 27618

3+ steelbooks
(Thanks to domalorite for pics)

View attachment 36821

View attachment 36822

View attachment 36823

Q) Selecting the 'Gift Wrapped Option', is it worth the extra cost?
A) As the pictures above shows, it's not perfect but an improvement to the jiffy bags.

Q) Is the retailer custom's friendly? (i.e will they mark as gift, or low value).
A) No. It's sometimes cheaper for EU residents if they have their items sent to a USA friend/ninja and then forwarded on to the EU address.

Q) Will the retailer charges upon order or upon shipment
A) You will be charged upon shipment

Q) What payment do they accept?
A) Credit Card only for international customers.

Q) Customer Services any good?
A) Yes, very quick and easy to deal with.

Cancellations: Log in >> My Account >> My Orders - follow on screen instructions

Replacements: Send an email via their website HERE, include your name, order number, name of item, catalog number and reason for return. Keep in mind that if the item is out of stock, discontinued, and is not available for exchange, your order will be cancelled and will be refunded.

Refunds: They are normally processed within a few days, same procedure as above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dominic
i ordered Amazing Spiderman digipack, BTTF Trilogy & Bourne Legacy and the tax and customs charge was £30.16 from DHL plus i was in work so missed the delivery. what a pain in the arse.

Hi, i need to know how to combine orders.

I currently have the warner wave on pre-order to ship on 5th june. I just ordered prometheus and Dredd too so i want to combine both orders so they are all together instead of shipping separately.

Placed a pre-order with HMV just now and there's a transaction for 200 yen from "Lawson" on my credit card already. Anybody know what/why this is?

Hey everyone, I set up an account and added the shipping address.

While I was ready to check out, my address was displayed but my country wasn't mentioned at all nor my tel number.

Is this supposed to happen?

edit: At the last stage, country is shown as well.

Last edited:
An update on HMV-JP packaging. I ordered 6 steelbooks in one order.

Padding only on sides. Nothing front, back, top, or bottom!

CameraZOOM-20130605160246231.jpg

Only one layer of bubble wrap

CameraZOOM-20130605160341932.jpg

All steels were shrinkwrapped together tightly.

CameraZOOM-20130605160749712.jpg

Steels have no damage. Mint condition all round :scat:

CameraZOOM-20130605161603783.jpg

Customs charges depend on the destination. For me, shipping to HK does not incur any charges because HK is a tax free city for goods.

The transport company also depends on the destination country. HMV uses EMS shipping so it will tend to be the national postal service. Japan Post at the Japan side, and HK Post when it arrives in HK.

and customs charges? Transport company?
very thanks

First order from HMV Japan, not a good start. Packaging was only one layer of bubble wrap inside the usual EMS mailer.:angry:

Such a waste!

image.jpg

Thats bad buddy...:(

@Stephen...was that all you ordered from HMV? Its way more likely if you only order 1 steel at a time that it will arrive damaged when it gets to the UK.

Did you also ask for gift wrap when you placed your order? As that gives more protection and then they usually send it better packed.

Reactions: stephen3001
You were Very Unlucky!!
I have ordered twice from them and both shipments came in with
perfect packing and protection.

Try and contact them and see what the feedback will be.

Reactions: stephen3001
Thats bad buddy...:(

@Stephen...was that all you ordered from HMV? Its way more likely if you only order 1 steel at a time that it will arrive damaged when it gets to the UK.

Did you also ask for gift wrap when you placed your order? As that gives more protection and then they usually send it better packed.

You were Very Unlucky!!
I have ordered twice from them and both shipments came in with
perfect packing and protection.

Try and contact them and see what the feedback will be.

Thanks guys, I've sent them an email. I'll see what they have to say. I did say in my opinion their packaging was insufficient.

I'll go with the gift wrap option next time and try and order more than 1.

If I had just read through this thread before placing my order, I would have probably done as you suggest.

:thumbs:

Ordered my first Steel with HMV.co.jp Friday, shipped by EMS Saturday and was with me in the UK first thing Monday morning, amazing service. I used Gift packaging and Steel arrived mint well packed in a box inside a bubble mailer.

Ordered my first Steel with HMV.co.jp Friday, shipped by EMS Saturday and was with me in the UK first thing Monday morning, amazing service. I used Gift packaging and Steel arrived mint well packed in a box inside a bubble mailer.

I'll be selecting that gift option next time, that's for sure. I was really amazed when I saw on the mat when I got home. Posted Friday, arrived Monday, incredible. At least it means getting a replacement won't take long then.

Reactions: sgray9806