HMV.co.jp - SteelBook Retailer Thread [Japan]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks.

images

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q) What is the link to HMV JP?
A) http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/

Q) I haven't mastered Japanese yet - how can I read the site?
A) Install Google translate on your browser:

Google Chrome HERE
Firefox HERE

Q) How do I register?
A) Click on 'New Customers' and follow the very easy on screen instructions!

Q) Do they ship outside of Japan?
A) Yes, worldwide Via EMS (tracked) mail - check HERE for countries they deliver to + prices

Q) What form of packing do they use?
A) Depends on quantity you order, see below:

1-2 steelbooks (standard)
(Thanks to Drum18 for pics)

attachment.php

View attachment 27618

3+ steelbooks
(Thanks to domalorite for pics)

View attachment 36821

View attachment 36822

View attachment 36823

Q) Selecting the 'Gift Wrapped Option', is it worth the extra cost?
A) As the pictures above shows, it's not perfect but an improvement to the jiffy bags.

Q) Is the retailer custom's friendly? (i.e will they mark as gift, or low value).
A) No. It's sometimes cheaper for EU residents if they have their items sent to a USA friend/ninja and then forwarded on to the EU address.

Q) Will the retailer charges upon order or upon shipment
A) You will be charged upon shipment

Q) What payment do they accept?
A) Credit Card only for international customers.

Q) Customer Services any good?
A) Yes, very quick and easy to deal with.

Cancellations: Log in >> My Account >> My Orders - follow on screen instructions

Replacements: Send an email via their website HERE, include your name, order number, name of item, catalog number and reason for return. Keep in mind that if the item is out of stock, discontinued, and is not available for exchange, your order will be cancelled and will be refunded.

Refunds: They are normally processed within a few days, same procedure as above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dominic
Great service from HMV.jp. Replacement has been despatched and I've been told to "dispose" of the defective copy.

I'll do a little repair project on it, see what I can do.

Just hope they make a better job of protecting the replacement.

Reactions: domalorite
I'll be selecting that gift option next time, that's for sure. I was really amazed when I saw on the mat when I got home. Posted Friday, arrived Monday, incredible. At least it means getting a replacement won't take long then.

I think that seems to be the best option for an extra 280 yen, sorry to see those pictures of the Steelbook you received but great news that you have got a replacement sorted quickly. :thumbs:

Reactions: stephen3001
That's great AlexG, thanks for those pics. Now that's what I call packaging.

For my next order I will certainly be paying the extra 280 yen.

:thumbs:

Reactions: AlexG
Looks good Alex. And at least they came in a box and not a jiffy envelope!! :hilarious:

I agree though that maybe when ordering we should ask them to pad the box out with bubble wrap as well so as to give the steels a cushion for extra protection. ;)

Reactions: AlexG
Does anybody know appx how long to get shipped to US? Or does anybody know how to use their tracking system, it's very confusing?

Result!

HMV-JP have the same customer service as AmazonJP. This was the only unknown about this retailer.

Now I can buy from them knowing any problems will be handled exemplary. There really is no need to shop at AmazonJP anymore.

Great service from HMV.jp. Replacement has been despatched and I've been told to "dispose" of the defective copy.

I'll do a little repair project on it, see what I can do.

Just hope they make a better job of protecting the replacement.

That's great AlexG, thanks for those pics. Now that's what I call packaging.

For my next order I will certainly be paying the extra 280 yen.

:thumbs:

Absolutely...:thumbs:

Looks good Alex. And at least they came in a box and not a jiffy envelope!! :hilarious:

I agree though that maybe when ordering we should ask them to pad the box out with bubble wrap as well so as to give the steels a cushion for extra protection. ;)

Yeah overall I would rate there packaging over Amazon.jp. Suprised the steelbook corners weren't dented though. Not enough bubblewrap and the box was pretty big for just 2 steelbooks. Prometheus came out pretty decent for an average slip.

HMV shipped my package on Sunday so 3 days to receive in the US. I am pretty happy.:oohyeah: Also, they were shipped in a bubble wrapper, but they were together in a sturdy little cardboard case. corner of case were not bent or anything. Very pleased with their shipping method.

DSCN0244.jpg

HMV shipped my package on Sunday so 3 days to receive in the US. I am pretty happy.:oohyeah: Also, they were shipped in a bubble wrapper, but they were together in a sturdy little cardboard case. corner of case were not bent or anything. Very pleased with their shipping method.

Damn it must be random on how they pack these. I received the same bubble mailer but instead of a box they were in a thin bubble packet. It's a good thing they follow the same replacement procedures as Amazon.JP. :thumbs:

Ok guys, my package for 8 of the June 5th wave + Lockout is stuck at parcelforce depot due to customs charges.

Just opened the letter....£45 all told. :( I mean that's just shocking...on top of the money I already forked out to get them.

If I refuse to pay...how do they get sent back (I.e how long until HMV get them) and how can I be sure they will refund me?

Ok guys, my package for 8 of the June 5th wave + Lockout is stuck at parcelforce depot due to customs charges.

Just opened the letter....£45 all told. :( I mean that's just shocking...on top of the money I already forked out to get them.

If I refuse to pay...how do they get sent back (I.e how long until HMV get them) and how can I be sure they will refund me?

CC I am not sure you will get a refund from HMV.JP as it clearly states on their website that depending on what country you live in customs charges will have to be paid. And EMS shipping from them to the UK will always have, PF & Customs charges to be paid. Similar to amazon.jp!!

I am sure you were aware of this before you placed your order with them.
You can probably still refuse to accept the package but you will still have to pay for shipping to the UK and back to japan again...

Might be best to bit the bullet this time and see it as a lesson learned when ordering from Japan...:ohno:

Added below from their website buddy...:(

From HMV.JP Terms & Conditions.

In case the recipient is absent at the timing of delivery for more than 14 days,
or if the customer refuses to receive the orders, the orders will be returned to us.
In this case, the delivery cost will be at the expense of the customers.
In some countries, customs and duty charges are imposed on the customer at the time of delivery.
Please check with your local customs authorities in advance when placing an order.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainCoffee
I sent them an email regarding packaging here's there reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have been discussing that we should use better materials
to wrap the items in sending items overseas, however, the solution requires long time.

We know that you would be very disappointed to receive damaged items,
especially when you are very looking forward to it.

Also, as all the orders from our customers are dispatched automatically,
it is very difficult to take individual requests, but we will try avoiding problems.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

My 2nd order from HMV.jp.

qi65.jpg

A much better improvement from my previous order. Even though it's the same bubblewrap method which is not enough. They we're able to place air bags on all 5 sides making it harder to move during shipment.
eq3b.jpg

Both steelboooks arrived in Mint condition..
v5d.JPG

My 2nd order from HMV.jp.

qi65.jpg

A much better improvement from my previous order. Even though it's the same bubblewrap method which is not enough. They we're able to place air bags on all 5 sides making it harder to move during shipment.
eq3b.jpg

Both steelboooks arrived in Mint condition..
v5d.JPG

I received 4 in the same kind of box. They were all shrink-wrapped to a piece of cardboard that fit the length bottom and that piece of cardboard was glued down. They also put a piece of foam in-between each steel so they wouldn't be touching each other. I don't recall anything like air pillows or other material filling up the extra space so box crush could've been an issue. Other than that, I think they did a great job securing them. :thumbs: