I finally found it! My “holy grail”!

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
The fine folks at /r/steelbooks have a good idea that I think could work well here.

Share a picture or pictures of your most recent “grail” discovery.

A “GRAIL” is an edition that might have taken you a while to find, has a good story about how you found it, or is important to you in some way. Grail does NOT indicate value. A $5 find at a thrift store could be a grail to you!

1) where you found it (RETAILER, MARKETPLACE, THRIFT STORE, etc)
2) who produced the edition (if it's a premium or retailer exclusive, please note to help other members! Filmarena, Reel Synergy, BluFans, Zavvi Exclusive, etc)
3) your own picture
4) share your story, if you can!
5) (optional) if you traded for it, what was the trade or how much you might have purchased it for.

INITIAL THREAD GIVEAWAY DETAILS
To kick off this thread and to keep it going, there will be at least one giveaway, maybe more if there’s enough participation!

The more grails you post in single / individual posts, the better chances become!

Prize list:

1 winners of 4k Blu-ray COMPLETE Indiana Jones set
2 winners of 4k Blu-ray Godfather Trilogy set

Last edited:
More like these babies:
20230530-140229.jpg
tsk i always knew youre a closet marvel fanboy :rolleyes: :p

I know this is a site filled with cinephiles, but if you asked 100 random people about the movie Sing Street, I'd bet maybe a handful, or less, know what it is. It just so happens that it's a personal favorite of mine, and perhaps on many days, my favorite movie of all-time. So noting those two things, I thought it near impossible that I'd ever see a SteelBook released for the film. However, in 2019, SM Life Design Group did just that, and as such it's one of my holy grails...

Sing Street

PS: If you're Gen X, like me, and wistfully remember the 80s, and enjoy coming-of-age movies, with great original songs, and a "happy-sad" love story, I think you'd love the movie too :happy:

I know this is a site filled with cinephiles, but if you asked 100 random people about the movie Sing Street, I'd bet maybe a handful, or less, know what it is. It just so happens that it's a personal favorite of mine, and perhaps on many days, my favorite movie of all-time. So noting those two things, I thought it near impossible that I'd ever see a SteelBook released for the film. However, in 2019, SM Life Design Group did just that, and as such it's one of my holy grails...

Sing Street

PS: If you're Gen X, like me, and wistfully remember the 80s, and enjoy coming-of-age movies, with great original songs, and a "happy-sad" love story, I think you'd love the movie too :happy:
I'm with you there. It's a truly great film.
John Carney the director made one of my favourite films of all time, Once.
Despite winning an Oscar for the original song, it's now dropped into obscurity.
We were lucky enough to get a Steelbook published of that through Nova media.
Sing Street is really brilliant but Once swings it for me. Carney has made 3 great films that have sadly now become hidden gems.
Begin Again is also a really good film.

He's got a new film out this year, Flora & Son. Another music tinted tale. I don't think it's been released yet. Certainly not in the UK.

Edit: Apple TV have the distribution rights to Flora & Son. We should probably expect it to stream this year then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thwip
I'm with you there. It's a truly great film.
John Carney the director made one of my favourite films of all time, Once.
Despite winning an Oscar for the original song, it's now dropped into obscurity.
We were lucky enough to get a Steelbook published of that through Nova media.
Sing Street is really brilliant but Once swings it for me. Carney has made 3 great films that have sadly now become hidden gems.
Begin Again is also a really good film.

He's got a new film out this year, Flora & Son. Another music tinted tale. I don't think it's been released yet. Certainly not in the UK.

Edit: Apple TV have the distribution rights to Flora & Son. We should probably expect it to stream this year then.
Yup, I love all 3 of those John Carney films, although I need to revisit Once because I don't remember it well, and at the time remembered ranking them 1) Sing Street, 2) Begin Again, and 3) Once, but that was a few years ago now. Thanks for the heads-up on Fiona and Son, I was aware of it, but I appreciate the thoughtful FYI regardless.

PS: Not quite the same genre, but another hidden gem writer/director for me is Cooper Raiff, if you haven't done so already, check out S#!%house and Cha Cha Real Smooth.

Reactions: TheWildEye

Sing Street

I was lucky enough to get invited to a preview screening ahead of its official release, great little movie :thumbs:

Sing Street

Loved it. Lucy Boynton... :)

Reactions: Thwip
After that La Femme Nikita post wanted to mention I like TV series based on movies. Many recent ones are only available digitally (some on DVD, but I don't buy them in worse quality than shown, broadcast or streamed), like Training Day with Bill Paxton's last role, Taken, Minority Report, etc.
But I'll list a few I did buy that aren't available in better quality, i.e. on Blu-ray:

The Crow: Stairway to Heaven
Crow TV Series R1 V2.jpg

Alien Nation
Alien Nation Series R1 V3.jpg

Alien Nation Movie Collection R1 V1.jpg

F/X The Series
FX The Series S1 R2 V3.jpg

The Net: The Series
Net The Series R4 V2.jpg

Robocop The Series
Robocop TV R2 UK V1.jpg

Total Recall 2070
Total Recall 2070 1-4 R2 Japan V1.jpg

Total Recall 2070 1-4 R2 Japan V2.jpg

Blade The Series
Blade The Series R1 V1.jpg

From Dusk till Dawn
20230604_112520.jpg

Young Indiana Jones
Indiana Jones Young Vol3 R2 UK V11.jpg

Indiana Jones Young Vol3 R2 UK V10.jpg

XIII
XIII S1 BD France V3.jpg

Transporter The Series
Transporter S1 BD France V3.jpg

Stargate SG-1
Stargate SG-1 S7 R2 UK V15.jpg

Stargate SG-1 S10 R2 UK V8.jpg

Well this one did come out on Blu-ray, I just didn't think the quality upgrade was worth it.

Tremors The Series
Tremors Series R1 V1.jpg

Mortal Kombat Conquest
Mortal Kombat Conquest R4 D1-3 V1.jpg

The Hunger
Hunger Season 1 R2 V1.jpg

Hunger Season 2 R2 V3.jpg

There's some others I didn't make photos of, like Friday the 13th, The Hitcher (an anthology series like The Hunger), Weird Science, etc.

@Lenny Nero the thread is about the holy grail... you are posting your whole collection. what's next? vhs?
All that is not even 0.5% of the collection, so can't rightfully be called 'whole'.
I would post a lineup of Howard the Duck releases, including VHS, if I had them all in one place.
As I've said in the beginning, the whole collection is my grail, and I'm posting my favorite parts of it. They'd all be the first I'd try to save, if there was a literal fire, or some kind of time limit.
I'd leave some Blufans editions for last.

BTW, some VHS are 'grails' too, or did you forget Nukie, that sold for $50,000 :D (if price is what matters, after all).

I have 2 anime grails Iike to show, these are also my only 2 anime grails
Perfect Blue Storybook Ultimate edition, I bought this from AllTheAnime it did not contain the bluray edition, but 2 months later someone posted the Ultimate version for $95.
So I sold my discless ATA edition and kept other ATA edition that does contain the discs, the cheapest it goes for now is $275 !
20230604_134044.jpg

2nd is K-On, the first Anime set I won via an ebay auction for only $119, cheapest now is $275
It contains it all, extras, cards, cd soundtrack, metal pins and much more, originally released by Sentai Filmworks, long sold out so I got lucky again getting this.
20230604_133900.jpg
20230604_133918.jpg
20230604_133938.jpg

Last edited: