Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: May 30, 2016
Purchase link: Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition
Price: £15.99
Notes: 2 Disc Edition

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my copy this weekend. Coincidence? (What with the sequel in theaters) :D

It's cool. Watched it last night & was very impressed with the transfer.

Reactions: Flash
Of all the ones that come back instock but because I missed this it's nowhere to be seen :(

Hate to be thick but if Independence Day was shot and edited on film then surely a 4k release would triumph any "film" that was digital native in terms of quality
You would think so but as Inafalsetto said it all depends on the quality of the film. A lot of these movies that were shot on film just have a 2K DI for presenting in the theatre. This was obviously good enough for Blu-ray aswell. They didn't need to go any higher because there wasn't anything out there that needed if but now with 4K UHD the quality is advancing and a lot of films aren't really ready to make full benefit of it. They usually use the existing 2K DI what they have taken for the Blu-ray and just upscale that. It will probably be too time consuming to start from scratch and make a fresh restoration.

You would think so but as Inafalsetto said it all depends on the quality of the film. A lot of these movies that were shot on film just have a 2K DI for presenting in the theatre. This was obviously good enough for Blu-ray aswell. They didn't need to go any higher because there wasn't anything out there that needed if but now with 4K UHD the quality is advancing and a lot of films aren't really ready to make full benefit of it. They usually use the existing 2K DI what they have taken for the Blu-ray and just upscale that. It will probably be too time consuming to start from scratch and make a fresh restoration.

So what your're saying is they are too bloody lazy to go back to the original film negative

Not sure why I didn't order this at the time of release then again I never bothered with the 1st release even though I enjoyed the film when I was younger. So seeing has this has sold out now leaves my with only the Italian version from amazon to get, think I'll take my chance and see if I can get lucky for a mint Steelbook. Fingers X.

Reactions: Flash
Shame..... So when I read 4k transfer for a lot of films. they are not actually 4k but just upscales
Yes there's a couple of native 4K titles out there. The Revenant, Sicario and most of Sonys first releases. All the others are upscaled to 4K though. It should still make a difference but it won't be as dramatic as with the real 4K titles.

So what your're saying is they are too bloody lazy to go back to the original film negative

Open up any video editor you have on your PC pop a video file in there and skim through it ...

Now studios 'remastering' have to go through EACH FRAME colour grading / sharpening etc. If they don't and they just run a generic "filter" through the whole thing it will look awful like PREDATOR ultimate hunter edition where they didn't manually go through the scenes frame by frame and the filter just made them look like Madam Tussaud wax statues !

It's a question of is it worth the time and effort and will it make money. But rest assured all the films being made now will look awesome both from a film and sound quality perspective. Cameras can practically see in the dark now so capture a lot of information that can be played around with in post production.

So when I read brand new 4k restoration from Criterion or Arrow or other vanity labels it's all a con. Interesting
A 4K restoration means they have probably gone through the individual frames and corrected everything. It's the remastered one which doesn't mean a lot. That's the one they can just pass through a machine filter with less effort. Off course newer films and classics that are in good shape will still look good with 4K remasters but a 4K restoration is better for older movies.

• Thanks
Reactions: InAFalsetto
Seen
Open up any video editor you have on your PC pop a video file in there and skim through it ...

Now studios 'remastering' have to go through EACH FRAME colour grading / sharpening etc. If they don't and they just run a generic "filter" through the whole thing it will look awful like PREDATOR ultimate hunter edition where they didn't manually go through the scenes frame by frame and the filter just made them look like Madam Tussaud wax statues !

It's a question of is it worth the time and effort and will it make money. But rest assured all the films being made now will look awesome both from a film and sound quality perspective. Cameras can practically see in the dark now so capture a lot of information that can be played around with in post production.

Although this thread in headed south, you make a good point about Predator Ultimately Hunted Claymation Edition. At the same time, all modern day films need not necessarily look and sound awesome as it all left to the filming style, sound design and mixing. Most of them nowadays don't get the theatrical sound mix (eg. Die Hard 4 got the theatrical sound mix on BD) and are sort of re-mixed for home AV releasing. In fact many titles suffer from clipping and engaging low pass filters that filters out LFE / ULF content under < 20 ¬ 25 Hz (eg. Godzilla 2014, Man vs Steel, Interstellar etc.).

Coming to 4k, more than the resolution it is all about HDR.

A 4K restoration means they have probably gone through the individual frames and corrected everything. It's the remastered one which doesn't mean a lot. That's the one they can just pass through a machine filter with less effort. Off course newer films and classics that are in good shape will still look good with 4K remasters but a 4K restoration is better for older movies.

Definitely. That's what I have noticed from experience too ...

Or you can do what I do ... don't buy it straight away. Wait for reviews. Wait for the side by side comparisons before spending your hard earned £££

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
They remaster the film in 4K HDR blah blah etc etc then they down convert the transfer to 1080p SDR for the normal bluray release. So you will benefit from the new transfer on standard bluray either way.

Watched my steelbook last night and it's really good, I hadn't seen it in a while and it's such a good film and this is a lovely steelbook :thumbs: