Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: May 30, 2016
Purchase link: Independence Day: 20th Anniversary Edition
Price: £15.99
Notes: 2 Disc Edition

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy ID24 to all the Brexiters :)

I thought it was quite funny how IDR came out today when we left the EU.

The UK was in on it! I'm sure it was a marketing ploy!!! We're on to you Roland Emmerich! :hilarious:

Very apt or mere coincidence isn't it? A memorable day for the UK.:oohyeah:

Today shall be known as Independence Day...
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::brb::brb::brb:

"Because today we are celebrating our independence day "

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:BUMP!BUMP!BUMP!

Hey folks, let's please keep the discussion on the steelbook. Although there are important matters happening in the world, they are hot buttons and what would seem as a funny comment for one could escalate quickly. And please avoid any racist comments. Thanks.

Anyone that's got this what is the difference between this and the earlier steelbook?

The steelbook itself isn't a huge upgrade. Just different artwork.

Now the disc included ... different story. This recent release has been remastered. Better color grading, sharper. And the sound quality is top notch if you have a home theater system.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Flash and Flloydo
Anyone that's got this what is the difference between this and the earlier steelbook?
Big difference in terms of the Blu-ray Disc between the older steelbook
The New Steelbook is a remastered Blu-ray with impressive picture quality

New extra on the 20th Anniversary and also discusses the new film
The previous DVD extras are on the new remastered Blu-ray they were not on the previous Blu-ray in the older steelbook

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Flash and Flloydo
I have the steelbook from a few years ago and the new one and there is a serious difference in quality between the discs. And I mean big difference. it really is night and day. Sometimes "remastering" is done and you go "What's the difference but here it's no contest. But the reviews say that the 4k version is excellent but not a quantum leap up from the blu-ray. That did surprise me as i was under the impression that 4k was 3 times the quality again......

Reactions: Flash
I have the steelbook from a few years ago and the new one and there is a serious difference in quality between the discs. And I mean big difference. it really is night and day. Sometimes "remastering" is done and you go "What's the difference but here it's no contest. But the reviews say that the 4k version is excellent but not a quantum leap up from the blu-ray. That did surprise me as i was under the impression that 4k was 3 times the quality again......
It is but this was a 2K DI, they basically upscale the image to the 4K UHD disc. It isn't native 4K like a lot of the other films so the results won't be as impressive as films that were shot in 4K. The HDR is where you will probably see the biggest difference. Better brightness and colours.

Reactions: lgans316
Hate to be thick but if Independence Day was shot and edited on film then surely a 4k release would triumph any "film" that was digital native in terms of quality

True.

But you have to understand that cameras back then are not as good as they are now. Anything being filmed in 4K or more (8K etc) are being filmed with the latest tech; sensors offering the best dynamic range, low light performance, contrast/colors and pixels etc. The images captured by cameras now are more in tune with the modern HD LED televisions we all have in our homes.

These classic films were originally released on VHS then DVD then remastered "digitally" to 1080p Bluray and now 4K. You can't take a small image and blow it up and expect awesome clarity but you can take a massive picture and shrink it down in size and see a lot of detail, sharpness etc as the information was already there to begin with.

Exciting times ahead for home entertainment if you ask me.

That does make sense. Film is a physical medium and 35mm can be scanned at very very high resolutions. You could do 8k, 12k, 24k whatever your want. I scan 35mm for prints. I still use film and i can get A0 posters no problems. But don't even thing of trying that with a digital image. You'd be lucky to go to A2. I scanned n a 35mm slide i did 32 years ago and got an A0 print made and it was jaw dropping in terms of quality and people though it was taken yesterday.