Ip Man Trilogy (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

May 2, 2012
Release date: April 25th, 2016
Purchase links:
Amazon UK
HMV.com
Zavvi.com
Price: £22.99 (Amazon - HMV) - £24.99 (Zavvi)

1.JPG

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MRD and chunk
Just ordered from amazon.. hopefully the price will come down.. £24.99:OMG::OMG::OMG: I want the trilogy for that price:LOL:

Slightly amazed that any brave soul has pre-ordered this for 25 quid with no artwork showing though of course over two months for the pre-order price promise to work in their favour.
Expensive pricing, certainly, particularly as it's not listed as a single retailer exclusive eve though it's only up at Amazon ATM and not worried about this selling out as foreign language films don't sell out for ages as a rule.
The Amaray trilogy boxset is currently available only from Amazon @GBP 21.99 too.
Of course it would be economically great to have all three films together in a steelbook but probably unlikely, alas.

Haven't seen this one yet (2015) but really impressed with the first two (2008 & 2010) especially as they can be watched and enjoyed by the whole family not like some of those 18 certificate bone-crunchers that I could mention.

Obviously can't comment on the artwork . . . but the film itself promises to be a worthy successor to the first two and if successful could lead to a fourth, also with Donnie Yen.
(IP Man biopics in recent years unrelated to these three are numerous (and not in the same league without Donnie) including THE GRANDMASTER (2013) and IP MAN: FINAL FIGHT (also 2013) with Hong Kong reportedly producing up to one IP Man film per year.

Regarding Mike Tyson: who unsurprisingly plays the villain here in his first substantial role and comes to blows with Donnie - now it may be a question of suspending disbelief that Donnie at 5ft. 7in. and 165 lbs. should get the better of 5ft. 10in. 233lbs. Iron Mike with his 71in. reach at the end of which is (or, was) a reported punch of 1,500 ft.lbs. of force and an impressive record of 21 first round knock-outs in his career.
The story goes that Donnie's wife was worried that hubby would get hurt by Mike but it was Donnie who ended up fracturing Mike's index finger while filming one of their fight scenes and even though time stands still for no man it should be remembered that Donnie is 52 years old and Mike is 49.

Regarding box office: according to some reports it has already made back its $30M budget and has not long openned in the world's two largest film markets (The States and Mainland China) so it could well be the most successful of the three and deservedly so judging by some of the reviews (IP MAN total: almost $22M and IP MAN 2 almost $50M - not including sales of DVDs).
In Singapore, for example, it knocked the latest Star wars film off the top spot and at the same time set the highest grossing Chinese film single day record there though it should be mentioned that Star Wars 7 opened a week before IP Man 3 and many would have already seen it before the comparison was made. The story was similar in Taiwan and Malaysia where it smashed box office records.

I liked the 3rd one quite a bit, and Tyson's role is not as clear cut as the trailers suggest. The action choreography (Yuen Woo ping replacing Sammo Hung) is the best of the three.

I don't expect amazon UK will have this one on steelbook. Hopefully they will release Monkey King in steelbook as well.

That is fantastic news! A must have. Donnie Yen is king of martial arts. (No! That's not supposed to open up a martial artist debate. There is no debate to be had! :LOL:)

I don't like collection steelbooks, id rather have each movie in its own steel. But there arent any for 1-2 i believe? So not much of a choice...