Is it just me?......

thunda123

Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Arizona U.S.A.
Does anybody else have a problem with all of these re-releases and other releases in every single country?

I guess I'm just getting a little annoyed by all of the releases that are either being released in another country or are being re-released. You've got countries popping up out of the blue with their new release of an old steelbook such as Fast & Furious, Batman Begins & The Dark Knight, etc.

Then, you've got releases that get released in every country as a steelbook. I'm just wondering why. I understand big releases for blockbuster movies, though.

Seems like the steelbooks are becoming so watered down. They're releasing movies with steelbooks that shouldn't even be given a steelbook treatment, yet won't release many, many better films with a steelbook.

anyways.....just a little annoyed.

One thing I noticed almost immediately I started collecting Steelbooks was that the Studios were being extremely lazy imo. I used to collect HD DVD's like quite a few others here and I immediately noticed that the same titles were turning up again and again and again. Whilst in general that has tailed off now a lot of the catalogue as opposed to new releases (for obvious reasons) date back to that era.

There are re-releases I don't mind such as the German Sucker Punch which keeps the same general artwork but shows itself to be a re-release by clearly distinguishing itself. The type of re-release I detest is (sadly) the German Underworld Trilogy which was absolutely identical to the first (actually the shrink wrap is different) and therefore completely dilutes the value actual or perceived of the first.

The same Steel different country attitude of titles such as Salt, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Green Hornet and even the nicer but rarer ones such as True Grit and Cowboys & Aliens depress me. At least the Canadian version of True Grit was different in that it was G1 not G2 and had no debossing, but that's another topic again. :)

These Studios need to wake up and smell the coffee before they find their loyal collecting base has moved on.

rant over for the time being. :)

It may suck for some to see Underworld being released everywhere ... but there are many titles that are like that, and still are worth good money in the collectible arena and/or are increasing.

Green Hornet ... released in a lot of Countries and as same steelbook. However, since the design is so awesome as new collectors come in the game they are gonna want it .. at least, most will who care about awesome art design. And try finding a boat load of them now ... not so easy .... So the multi-country releases don't bother me any. If anything it just tells me as a collector that I have "time" to buy that release and then put my current funds towards something I think will be more rare/ go OOS/OOP quicker. But ... time will always end up making those you think aren't rare still become rare.

Angels and Demons, and Watchmen FutureShop come to mind ... if you were collecting back then, then you remember that they stayed on the shelves for months on end. Try getting one now for less than $60

They key is ... dont jump at the first announcement of everything ... If all Underworld look the same, but one is different ... well you know right then and there which will be valued more. If part of the hobby is the elusiveness and rarity of titles that you like, then you gotta be smart. If your part of collecting is just you'd rather have a cool metal case then a plastic one ... then buy what movies you like. While the popularity of steelbooks is rising ; we're helping to create that ... and while it will mean more crap movies getting steelbook treatment ... it also has a good side, more new collectors coming on board. So lots of those gems in your collection will rise in value in the good ol sense of "Supply and demand" so it does come full circle.

Last edited:
Reactions: ash333 and berns
Thanks for your post. Very good stuff you've written. I love that Play.com is coming out with new titles that haven't been released yet. And, for the few that have already come out such as X-Men Origins Wolverine....it's different artwork. I'm very excited for those ones.

Cheers pal ;)

The Play titles are pretty exciting and I'm intrigued to see the shiny effect and finishes on them when they come out. The prices obviously help but I can't help but feel I'm getting a great deal too. It also means I can get a couple of copies of each as long as I get them before they are OOP.

I think what would really cause me to lose sweat from my eyeballs (real men don't cry) would be if they re-released the holy grails exactly the same as they were 1st time round. I would actually be insulted and may even be forced to write a letter :D

It may suck for some to see Underworld being released everywhere ... but there are many titles that are like that, and still are worth good money in the collectible arena and/or are increasing.

Green Hornet ... released in a lot of Countries and as same steelbook. However, since the design is so awesome as new collectors come in the game they are gonna want it .. at least, most will who care about awesome art design. And try finding a boat load of them now ... not so easy .... So the multi-country releases don't bother me any. If anything it just tells me as a collector that I have "time" to buy that release and then put my current funds towards something I think will be more rare/ go OOS/OOP quicker. But ... time will always end up making those you think aren't rare still become rare.

Angels and Demons, and Watchmen FutureShop come to mind ... if you were collecting back then, then you remember that they stayed on the shelves for months on end. Try getting one now for less than $60

They key is ... dont jump at the first announcement of everything ... If all Underworld look the same, but one is different ... well you know right then and there which will be valued more. If part of the hobby is the elusiveness and rarity of titles that you like, then you gotta be smart. If your part of collecting is just you'd rather have a cool metal case then a plastic one ... then buy what movies you like. While the popularity of steelbooks is rising ; we're helping to create that ... and while it will mean more crap movies getting steelbook treatment ... it also has a good side, more new collectors coming on board. So lots of those gems in your collection will rise in value in the good ol sense of "Supply and demand" so it does come full circle.

I definitely agree with what your saying.

I also understand that some collectors just want the movie in a steelbook instead of amaray.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Cheers pal ;)

The Play titles are pretty exciting and I'm intrigued to see the shiny effect and finishes on them when they come out. The prices obviously help but I can't help but feel I'm getting a great deal too. It also means I can get a couple of copies of each as long as I get them before they are OOP.

I think what would really cause me to lose sweat from my eyeballs (real men don't cry) would be if they re-released the holy grails exactly the same as they were 1st time round. I would actually be insulted and may even be forced to write a letter :D

Play/Play.com seems to be "getting it," lately. They're asking for opinions and seem to be listening to what's important for the collector's. The only strange release that is also being released by HMV is the Batman Begins/The Dark Knight steelbook. Seems strange to release that with the same French artwork but with no embossing/debossing. Very plain. Maybe some people will like that though. Who knows at this point.

Anyways...Play is also doing smaller print runs which is Awesome! Play has people/collector's excited. Many other stores/chains aren't bringing much excitement to the table.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

One thing I noticed almost immediately I started collecting Steelbooks was that the Studios were being extremely lazy imo. I used to collect HD DVD's like quite a few others here and I immediately noticed that the same titles were turning up again and again and again. Whilst in general that has tailed off now a lot of the catalogue as opposed to new releases (for obvious reasons) date back to that era.

There are re-releases I don't mind such as the German Sucker Punch which keeps the same general artwork but shows itself to be a re-release by clearly distinguishing itself. The type of re-release I detest is (sadly) the German Underworld Trilogy which was absolutely identical to the first (actually the shrink wrap is different) and therefore completely dilutes the value actual or perceived of the first.

The same Steel different country attitude of titles such as Salt, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Green Hornet and even the nicer but rarer ones such as True Grit and Cowboys & Aliens depress me. At least the Canadian version of True Grit was different in that it was G1 not G2 and had no debossing, but that's another topic again. :)

These Studios need to wake up and smell the coffee before they find their loyal collecting base has moved on.

rant over for the time being. :)

Speaking of Sucker Punch. Yes, I would actually love a re-release with that if the artwork was different and very creative/artistic. But, Sucker Punch is one of my faves.

Gotta agree with most thats been said, im a rather new collector compared to most of you,(just over 12mths),but i noticed very quickly that financially you can't keep up with all of them.
i agree with what wrek said, and to go(if i may) one step further,you need to re-release titles for the industry to grow and for new blood to get as excited as we all do and for the industry to grow.
Remember,there are two types purchasing steels all over the world.
(1)there are the masses who buy a steel for (what ever reason)far to many to name here because they enjoy what they are holding.most will probably never get another,then there are a few who then become us.
(2)THE COLLECTOR.this person is very selective,watches the market,the trends,and he picks and chooses his titles.every collector has a slighly different approach to what he collects therefore no two collections are always exactly the same.
i decieded to become a ninja(like all my fellow ninja's on this forum);
because we are collectors. I like all of you also get a little irratated,with re-releases,and what grinds my grain :angry: is all the country,s palm out the same cover,"example"..thor, captain america and the list grows.
collectors are the minority...not the majority,its the masses these studios are cattering for because there,s more of them and there after the $$$$.
And to the studios,"throw us a fricken bone" from time to time to the collector who in turn(over many years) esculates and raises the profile of what you are producing,with more limited no.exclusive covers ect.
ninja,s are exclussive,we are not the arms and legs of your body of work,but we are the HEART AND SOUL of that work :scat:
sorry this is such a long one guys:emb:

I agree but disagree at the same time. Simply because it's a double edge sword. We wanted more releases but not too many.its just tough because looking through the feedback section of this site, there are a lot of title we want to see go steel. But I do think some movies don't deserve the treatment. But re-releases with different art creates too many options

I agree but disagree at the same time. Simply because it's a double edge sword. We wanted more releases but not too many.its just tough because looking through the feedback section of this site, there are a lot of title we want to see go steel. But I do think some movies don't deserve the treatment. But re-releases with different art creates too many options

HI MATE,
To a point "yes i agree"..i think its the industry,that maybe should be looking a little closer at what they are producing.There are titles out there that should never be a steelbook,actualy should never have been made :hilarious:(maybe thats a little unfair):twisted:
Even crap movies cost a packet to produce,so the industry to recoup there costs plus interest,will no matter what,do all in their powers to get there return.(example) DISNEY'S CARTER,cost them a squillion,with very little return at the box office,whether it should be a steel or not(as we ninja's)have polls to deciede,if it should or should not be a steel),mate its going to happen,and in a year or two it will be re-released again(maybe the same cover or a different one) just so they get there $$$ back.Disney did announce after carter,they would go back to their tryed and true,s,like making more pirates of the carrabean ect,because they know they will get a good return for their buck straight away.
as a collector we leave these for the masses to play with."yes" we want more titles but with restrictions...(lets take jaws for instance.)it should of been a steel ages ago(im sure we would all agree on that).this is where the industry should say"hey"we have made this title's cost back 10-20-50 times over..from the masses,lets make this an exclusive or limited no.to those that promote our products year after year(give something back dude).unfortunatly its going to be released in just about every country thats bordered by sea,and some that ain't.
its only going to take forums like this with people like wrek..diggi..thundra and all the others with some sort of clout to keep pushing the collectors wheel barrow saying don't forget us.As a collector we ignore the crap and concentrate on the cream.we just want a little more cream thats all.....come on studios WAKE UP.
EEK!...SORRY AGAIN GUYS far to much coffee this morning :ohno:

I don't see this at all in the US. I was a big collector when steelbooks were all primarily G1 and recently got back into and noticed the huge trend to G2. At the time I collected and when G1 was what was primarily made the US got tons of titles, you could go into Best Buy and find a dozen or so titles at any given time. Not true with G2 if I were to go into my Best Buy today the only G2 I could find would be Scarface. They did eventually gut the market in the US with the First Look line that were all for films that no one had heard of mostly and with very dvd like packaging that wasn't that appealing. And look at what happened there all First Look G1's can be had for less than $10 most for less than $5 and quite a few for as little as 99 cents.

Sure the world market seems very diluted but for me to pick up any of those titles its a process. I either need to initiate a trade, scour ebay or other retailer sites and literally jump through hoops to get the title. This makes it very easy for me since I am going to have to do a lot work to get these foreign titles then I can easily pick and choose and I am trying to not double dip so I just choose movies I don't already own. And since there is such a selection to choose from it makes it easy. Three of my last four foreign steelbook purchases were all for movies I didn't already own. Hop, the Expendables and Prince of Persia with the lone exception being Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone (but even that is kind of cool as we have Sorcerers Stone in the US and I was thinking it would be cool to have the entire Potter collection).

My wishlist mostly contains films I don't already own like True Grit, Green Hornet, MI4, Immortals, Hanna and Battle: Los Angeles. Being so far behind and there being such a void of steelbooks in the US has been great for me to be able to just choose what looks cool since its going to be such a process to get them anyway.

Sir, hopefully we'll see more at end of summer in US. A G2 production line is supposed to be forthcoming. I look forward to the day when I can go to the store near my home and pick up Steels myself-and help many friends who have helped me for all of these years. :scat:

I agree with the Steelbook market getting watered down. The rarity of a steelbook, or coming across one of your favorite movies in a collectible format make it a pretty exciting experience. But if I had to venture a guess, with a lot of things being available via streaming or digital copies, the market for physical sales of DVD/Blu-Rays has taken a big hit over the last 3-4 years. So anything they can manufacturer to generate sales, additional sales - they will be all over it.