Is it just me?......

thunda123

Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Arizona U.S.A.
Does anybody else have a problem with all of these re-releases and other releases in every single country?

I guess I'm just getting a little annoyed by all of the releases that are either being released in another country or are being re-released. You've got countries popping up out of the blue with their new release of an old steelbook such as Fast & Furious, Batman Begins & The Dark Knight, etc.

Then, you've got releases that get released in every country as a steelbook. I'm just wondering why. I understand big releases for blockbuster movies, though.

Seems like the steelbooks are becoming so watered down. They're releasing movies with steelbooks that shouldn't even be given a steelbook treatment, yet won't release many, many better films with a steelbook.

anyways.....just a little annoyed.

moved your post to here Thunda.

well, if it's any indication, the steelbook collection is again on the upswing.

just imagine what will happen with the USA factory coming online in the summer.

we'll be seeing more of these same titles in the US, before too long, IMO.

I totally agree :(

I feel steelbooks are becoming extremely common now a days, every title is more or less being released as a steelbook as well.

I thought steelbook collecting was special, they are unique collectors items, some are very rare to find. Now you have title after title.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the steelbooks had an awesome design, even embossing/debossing... Something that makes it unique. Seeing so many steelbooks with bland designs and no special treatment just does not appeal to me. Makes me wish I was a collector when they were first about...

Having said that, there are awesome designs these days also, no denying that at all...
I am just disappointed to see many films being given the steelbook treatment with not too much consideration into their artwork.

I'd say more or less say 80% of steelbooks these days are designed like BISH BASH BOSH... Steelbook DONE!

I know most people will disagree with what I am saying but this is my personal opinion.

But thank you thunda123, I am right behind you sonny jim! I am glad I came across your thread!

:oohyeah:

Also, what would make it much better is if each country had their own release, different artwork! Seeing the same design everywhere is just really off putting! It would be amazing to see titles in different designs, then it'd make collecting that more special.

Last edited:
I rarely doubledip on movies so it doesn't bother me. Watered down might be an issue but I think you can just choose from the more exclusive steelbook releases (store exclusive/limited/numbered).

I think one aspect of it is very fun though and that is all the different Back To The Future releases. Positive for me as I collect BTTF :)

Nope-I feel exactly the same and have made no secret of it. I think retailers like Play have been trying to at least release titles with new cover art and some different titles, which is refreshing. But all of the mass waves at different retailers with regurgitated art, and titles is getting T-I-R-E-D.

moved your post to here Thunda.

well, if it's any indication, the steelbook collection is again on the upswing.

just imagine what will happen with the USA factory coming online in the summer.

we'll be seeing more of these same titles in the US, before too long, IMO.

Thanks for moving my thread. In the middle of my post my assistant came and told me I had a patient that just got here.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this way.

For me the problem is not the fact so many movies are getting a release, it's just the fact the artwork is the same all over like Super 8, Captain America, Thor, MI4 & Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, even catalogue release's like Jaws & Scarface. I suppose being a new collector it isn't as bad as I've being doing a lot of catching up on the older titles, but for some of you guys who've been doing it for years & have had all the rare titles pass through your hands it's much more a problem.

I really have no problem with it since these days i only pick-up steelbooks and i really dont like those amaray boxes. That said i do agree that some of the current steelbook releases and re-releases are totally dispensable...

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble here but I can see why there doing it. There doing it for the benefit of the 'New Collector'. Someone who is new to the game of collecting SB's might have a chance at newer re-releases rather than having to pay gobs of money so as to get the movie they want.

Not everyone that collects SB's has the resource of the Hi-Def Ninja at their fingertips like we do. most new collectors to the game of collecting steelbooks won't know that they can find a way to get it at HDN.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the same as you guys and disagree on most re-releases but it's just a matter of how you look at it.

Just wait. As andy said. Our US stores (hopefully just best buy) are going to do the same damn thing.

If there's a profit to be made, every country and their mom is going to jump on board

I don't necessarily think they're doing it for the new collector. That's more of a low concern bullet point in the presentation titled "HOW WE'RE GONNA MAKE MONEY"

Last edited:
I hear you Thunda...it's a good point

I've not been collecting for as long as some so it is nice to be part of it at the moment, especially with some of the cool titles with premium finishes which are coming up like Terminator, as well as some other titles which haven't been out before like Alien, Man On Fire, Taken etc.

Personally I don't have a problem with the same titles being released over again but I do find it really lazy of the studios who just offer the same artwork and releases in multiple territories. To me that really is just cashing in!

It can't be that hard to sort out some new artwork or a significant point of difference can it? The recent Warner waves made me cringe when I saw the same art again and I bet every collector worth their salt was pretty gutted.

The pain and length I hear some of you guys go to in order to get certain titles from round the world is crazy (yet admirable) so to get your copies then see exactly the same ones pop up much cheaper alsewhere is so frustrating

The Warner wave has some great titles so if the art was different and the finish was different too then it wouldn't bother me one bit and I would definitely collect them.

The only one I might get from all territories with the same artwork is Jaws, but that is just for comedy value!! ;)

I love it. I came to collecting Steels rather late, and love the oppertunity to replace my DVD or BR's with steel. But then I do not collect them for sell value, I collect them for the artwork.

On the other hand it's getting hard to keep track of every release that is pouring out these days. The other day i found myself writing down on a notepad file every pre-order i have so i can keep track of everything...

On the other hand it's getting hard to keep track of every release that is pouring out these days. The other day i found myself writing down on a notepad file every pre-order i have so i can keep track of everything...

yeah i started doing that a bit back, it's really hard to remember everything!

Instead of writing down my pre-orders, orders and GB's I've started keeping notes on my iPad 3. It has really helped out. Before I got my iPad I was keeping electronic notes on my HTC Evo 4G.

After so many re-releases, I just simply became very picky. I no longer buy more than one of the same title. I pick and choose, I no longer have the "I must buy" impulse. I buy what appeals to me, if no market has what appeals to me then I don't buy the title.

That solved my dilemma.

Instead of writing down my pre-orders, orders and GB's I've started keeping notes on my iPad 3. It has really helped out. Before I got my iPad I was keeping electronic notes on my HTC Evo 4G.

so you did get it! that's awesome man congrats, hope you love it

and yeah i'm kind of with horhay... i am to the point with my collection now to where i don't feel like i HAVE to buy every title, it's a lot easier when you're selective... but i do have the occasional steel that i'll buy multiples of :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lone Crusader
I love it. I came to collecting Steels rather late, and love the oppertunity to replace my DVD or BR's with steel. But then I do not collect them for sell value, I collect them for the artwork.

I'm with Ricker:D I collect just to have something different then the Standard Amaray case. I prefer the same artwork and not have to worry about which cover looks better or which has artwork on the back/Inside. I also prefer which release is cheaper:Dthat way i get more steels:scat:

I hear you Thunda...it's a good point

I've not been collecting for as long as some so it is nice to be part of it at the moment, especially with some of the cool titles with premium finishes which are coming up like Terminator, as well as some other titles which haven't been out before like Alien, Man On Fire, Taken etc.

Personally I don't have a problem with the same titles being released over again but I do find it really lazy of the studios who just offer the same artwork and releases in multiple territories. To me that really is just cashing in!

It can't be that hard to sort out some new artwork or a significant point of difference can it? The recent Warner waves made me cringe when I saw the same art again and I bet every collector worth their salt was pretty gutted.

The pain and length I hear some of you guys go to in order to get certain titles from round the world is crazy (yet admirable) so to get your copies then see exactly the same ones pop up much cheaper alsewhere is so frustrating

The Warner wave has some great titles so if the art was different and the finish was different too then it wouldn't bother me one bit and I would definitely collect them.

The only one I might get from all territories with the same artwork is Jaws, but that is just for comedy value!! ;)

Thanks for your post. Very good stuff you've written. I love that Play.com is coming out with new titles that haven't been released yet. And, for the few that have already come out such as X-Men Origins Wolverine....it's different artwork. I'm very excited for those ones.

Reactions: zoneism