Jack the Ripper finally identified

denizen

The Shadow Ninja
Premium Supporter
Nov 13, 2012
South Africa
A slightly off topic thread but just saw this on the news! :D

Jack the Ripper sleuth Russell Edwards claims the identity of the murderer is now beyond doubt after DNA was extracted from a shawl from a crime scene.
Jack-the-Ripper-shawl-3.jpg

Jack the Ripper was a 23-year-old Polish immigrant called Aaron Kosminski, according to an author claiming to have exposed the serial killer’s true identity using DNA evidence.
Russell Edwards, who describes himself as an “armchair detective”, believes he has identified the Victorian murderer for the first time after more than 120 years of mystery.
He said Kosminski, who died in an asylum, was “definitely, categorically and absolutely” the man behind the grisly killing spree in 1888 in Whitechapel.
Police had identified Kosminski as a suspect, Mr Edwards said, but never had enough evidence to bring him to trial.
Chief Inspector Donald Swanson, who led the investigation, recorded a suspect named "Kosminski" in contemporary notes, saying he was a low-class Polish Jew and had family living in Whitechapel.
The notes, donated by his descendants to Scotland Yard's Crime Museum in 2006, included a memorandum from Assistant Chief Constable Sir Melville Macnaghten saying Kosminski “had a great hatred of women…with strong homicidal tendencies”.
A Jewish immigrant from Poland, he fled persecution in his homeland while it was under Russian control and came with his family to England in 1881, living in Mile End, east London.
His occupation was listed in workhouse documents as a barber in Whitechapel but he was later admitted to a string of lunatic asylums, where he died in 1899 after contracting gangrene in his leg.
There were anti-Semitic protests at the time of the Ripper murderers after a disputed message written on a wall in Goulston Street, near where two bodies had been found, believed to be from the killer identifying himself as Jewish.
The message was washed off amid fears of anti-Semitic riots and its authenticity has been disputed ever since.
A blood-stained shawl belonging to one of the Ripper's victims bought at an auction in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, in 2007 was used as the basis for the research.
As well as being soaked in her blood, it was found to have traces of semen thought to belong to the killer.
Mr Edwards said: “I've got the only piece of forensic evidence in the whole history of the case.
“I've spent 14 years working on it, and we have definitively solved the mystery of who Jack the Ripper was.
"Only non-believers that want to perpetuate the myth will doubt. This is it now - we have unmasked him."
Jack the Ripper murdered at least five women, slashing their throats, removing internal organs and leaving their mutilated bodied in darkened alleyways.

I know the shawl was in private hands and they had tryed D.N.A extraction before however it was too poor a specimin. That was a few years ago.

IF indeed this over a century year old case is now identified. I hope that some more recent murders
Are sleeping A LOT LESS easy . I also hope that misscarages of justice are not to late to be reversed.

@denizen FANTASTIC ARTICAL THANKS FLOWER :thumbs:.

Reactions: denizen
I don't have much faith in this so called new evidence. Firstly the DNA came from only one victims shawl and as her profession was a prostertute then it must be reasonable to assume she may have picked up this DNA that way. She must have been with loads of blokes and all sorts of DNA is caked all over her clothes. Also they didn't mention any other victims having this blokes DNA. so I think it's a case of wishful thinking for whoever owns this shawl. I really don't think anyone will ever know his or her identity and I think if we ever did then JTR would lose the mystery and infamy that this gruesome part of English crime history holds over us.

I don't have much faith in this so called new evidence. Firstly the DNA came from only one victims shawl and as her profession was a prostertute then it must be reasonable to assume she may have picked up this DNA that way. She must have been with loads of blokes and all sorts of DNA is caked all over her clothes. Also they didn't mention any other victims having this blokes DNA. so I think it's a case of wishful thinking for whoever owns this shawl. I really don't think anyone will ever know his or her identity and I think if we ever did then JTR would lose the mystery and infamy that this gruesome part of English crime history holds over us.

Totally agree, this DNA proves very little.

but coincidentally this guy was already a prior suspect. So the DNA happened to match a suspect. I guess the real things to find out and maybe they listed .... is, why was he a suspect in the first place.

According to the reports, he was seen with the victim/s shortly before they were murdered. But they had no evidence to charge him.

This guy definitely fits the profile though.

Multiple admissions into an asylum, severe hatred for women.

I think this is a case of a person fits a murder, so he must be the murderer! He lived locally so he could have know the her quite well and seen or be seen with her frequently. If someone I knew or saw frequently was murdered, then I may well be a suspect but that doesn't make me a murderer. Until they find his DNA on all the victims and different witnesses to say they saw him plunging a knife into all the victims and have the murder weapon with this guy's finger prints, then I'm gonna keep an open mind and say these crimes will never be solved. In fact the only way these will ever be solved is with a time machine, which is less far fetched than saying this guy is the murderer from some 126 year old semen stains on just one victim, who just happens to be a prostitute!

Yup. Well certainly a lot of people on the fence with this guys findings. Still I'm sure his book might pose more compelling evidence to support his argument.

I still think it was a killing spree arranged by the Royals to cover up indiscretions. Don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory! Lol

I think the semen stains is his smoking gun and I think this will be the main nub of his evidence. Although it doesn't matter what's in the book, as it all based around this Polish geezer and the spunky shawl [emoji4]

That should have been the title of the book [emoji1]

The problem is that the detectives on the ground simply didn't insure that the coppers on the beat keep a record of everyone they visited and questioned and had that information been recorded, they might have been able to put 1 and 1 together but there are too many gaps in the puzzle to conclude whom the real murderer was.
Had they done the groundwork about all the people they questioned, they might have got somewhere. It's as much about poor policing as it was about politics of the time.
What is puzzling is why the murders stopped and why the police didn't take it any further........

Again could be a red herring. If the real killer was aware of this, they could have stopped and the police none the wiser....
Just watched a 2 part Kojak about a serial killer and it was interesting how the killer avoided justice because of mistakes
and assumptions by the police. The Jack the Ripper murders could be no different despite the 100 year gap.....
Even the recent Yorkshire Ripper case is a classic example of the police being led up the garden path by bogus information and clues.

I think the semen stains is his smoking gun and I think this will be the main nub of his evidence. Although it doesn't matter what's in the book, as it all based around this Polish geezer and the spunky shawl [emoji4]

That should have been the title of the book [emoji1]

Unfortunately semen stains on a prostitute isn't great evidence. These girls back then were known to service anywhere up to 30 guys a night.