Kong: Skull Island (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 23, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre order live on Saturday July 6 at 6PM UK time)
Price: £24.99
Notes: Debossing on the title and spot gloss finish to the image

K_SI.jpg

K_SI (open).jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting @Wreck :thanks:

I do think the metallic effect on EU steels is overused and in many cases looks cheap, would be better if it was used more sparingly thus have more of an impact.

I've always thought the gloss finish on US looks superior in many cases, wish there was a premium retailer in US who could take advantage of the differences in finish.

Stumbled across a steelbook document with pretty much backs up all of the above.

03c80516-4dea-4009-8207-1ac33baf3750.jpg

• Helpful Post
Reactions: K.i.T
This one really is a belter

I’m just happy to get the Japanese art on a steel but yeah the finish is pretty special too

This WB 4k wave is looking decent so far. Well with the 2 I own (this and IT) not sure what else has been released but maybe inception will have a decent finish too. Although I’ll have to wait a while to order that one

Lets hope the price drops bevor it sells out, not gonna pay 12€ customs fees for this.
i don't need to pay for custom but i need to pay for shipping at GBP9.99 :grumpy:

oh, man this comes out great, one thing i wasn't sure about the thickness of the border in mockup but the actual steelbook comes out slimmer which i think it was just right, it was great... anyway do we know what was the inside art?

Last edited:
I went to order this last night - £1.99 delivery in uk.......WHAT?! Is that what Zavvi are charging for uk delivery now? £2?

I went to order this last night - £1.99 delivery in uk.......WHAT?! Is that what Zavvi are charging for uk delivery now? £2?
Yes, unless you sign up to their Red Carpet Subscription service (£9.99 per year). Then you will get free delivery option, discount codes, early bird pre-orders etc..

I'm yet to do so, but have ordered a couple steels since they've introduced RC, but at first it was only 99p delivery and I could still use the welcome 10% off code. But now it's £1.99 and sometimes the welcome code doesn't even work, so looks like I'll be giving into the dark side soon lol.

Zavvi win :pain::rolleyes:

Reactions: Vegano
Yes, unless you sign up to their Red Carpet Subscription service (£9.99 per year). Then you will get free delivery option, discount codes, early bird pre-orders etc..

I'm yet to do so, but have ordered a couple steels since they've introduced RC, but at first it was only 99p delivery and I could still use the welcome 10% off code. But now it's £1.99 and sometimes the welcome code doesn't even work, so looks like I'll be giving into the dark side soon lol.

Zavvi win :pain::rolleyes:
Ha, yeah - They win, alright. Thing is, i’ve cut down ALOT on ordering from them, but at £2 delivery charge by the time i get to 5 steelbooks then anything thereafter is a £2 loss on every steelbook. You’re right though - at some point in the future i’m gonna have to cave. Thanks for that, though - at least i know the score now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mickle_89
This is a really classy looking release, it turned out way better than I expected.

But, why oh why is the logo on the reverse not centred vertically?! It's playing merry hell with my OCD!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Hereticz
I now see what the makers meant by describing the steelbook thusly, "Zavvi is bringing KING KONG back as a killer SteelBook® release with a debossed front title treatment and delicate details, reflecting in the spot gloss layer."
Definitely not the standard treatment with the background and frame glossed and only selective parts of the actual artwork (and title) given the same treatment leaving the rest matte ...
... and as for the position of the title on the back
1570012612801.png
no complaints from me - either centred like IT
1570011464608.png
or at high level like JURASSIC PARK
1570011858760.png
the impact of this Bentley of steelbooks would not have been lessened or intensified by a different title position . . . maybe if pushed my preference would've been at low level as seen on Eureka steelbooks
1570013179196.png

Last edited: