Making Plasma

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
anyone make plasma in a microwave before?

i did it this week, pretty cool. just trying to figure out how to post it here

Last edited:
So the glass popped huh? Wonder if you had a big thick beer mug...

Is your microwave ok?

microwave was fine. i don't know what would happen if the glass wasn't in there, but i bet nothing since there would be nothing to contain the gas which is made into plasma. you'd have to have a big microwave to fit a big beer mug in there.

its too bad we filmed it with just a digital camera for video cause you can't see the colors too well. there was a hint of blue, mostly yellow and some red bars on top. it sounds wicked though :twisted:

microwave was fine. i don't know what would happen if the glass wasn't in there, but i bet nothing since there would be nothing to contain the gas which is made into plasma. you'd have to have a big microwave to fit a big beer mug in there.

its too bad we filmed it with just a digital camera for video cause you can't see the colors too well. there was a hint of blue, mostly yellow and some red bars on top. it sounds wicked though :twisted:

I was just wondering if the added glass thickness would prevent the breakage...

You can do this with grapes, too. Wonder if more matches/grapes/bigger candle means more gas to charge?

Thicker glass/plexi might resist the heat better...

I was just wondering if the added glass thickness would prevent the breakage...

You can do this with grapes, too. Wonder if more matches/grapes/bigger candle means more gas to charge?

Thicker glass/plexi might resist the heat better...

yah, i duno if it would prevent it, but my cheap walmart glass only lasted about 7 seconds with plasma in it. i think at the least thicker glass would contain the plasma longer.

i read about people doing it with grapes, but it seemed harder as you have to like slice the grape a certain way and leave like a tiny bridge between the grape halves. lighting a match proved much simpler.

the shattering of the glass made it more epic tho!

Dude that was frickin sweet, what the hell made u think to do something like this?

Dude that was frickin sweet, what the hell made u think to do something like this?

well ive seen it before so i wanted to do it for awhile but it was a matter of tracking down a microwave that no one cares about anymore. my dad just retired from teaching and i used the one he had in his classroom which was an cheap one i used like my first or second year in college.

not that it did any damage to the microwave really, i just didn't want to take any chances. its really easy, all you need is to take the glass plate out of a microwave and put a match in there, then light it and put a glass over it. i put the microwave at 30 seconds and that was more than enough time. it took me 2 times to get it to work though.