Metropolis (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Nov 29, 2012
Release date: January 19th, 2015
Price: £29.99
Purchase link: Amazon UK

image.jpg

More info:

[Limited to 4000 copies worldwide] with additional extras, as part of their award-winning The Masters of Cinema Series on 19 January 2015.

Eureka! Entertainment
have announced the release of Fritz Lang’s, Metropolis Ultimate Collector’s Edition, the mother of all sci-fi films and a major influence on Ridley Scott (Blade Runner), George Lucas (Star Wars), and pop culture in general (referenced by Madonna, Beyonce and countless others) will be re-released in a 2-disc Blu-ray set in brand new SteelBook packaging, now featuring Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis and a 45-min documentary exploring the film’s rediscovery. Limited to just 4000 units worldwide and including an opportunity with every SteelBook to win a unique bespoke Metropolis engraved solid gold bar, Metropolis Ultimate Collector’s Editionwill be released as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on 19 January 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: LIMITED EDITION JANUARY 2015 RELEASE METROPOLIS STEELBOOK (LIMITED WORLDWIDE TO 4000)
Reply received from Eureka Entertainment Ltd. earlier today. Make of it what you will:-
"Hi Nicholas,
There are always overages made due to damages etc. so although the numbers do go slightly beyond 4000 there are only actually 4000 in circulation (3816 to be precise). Had we known this before we took delivery we would have numbered the outer paper wrap. If you order one direct from us we can make sure it's definitely within the 4000 range.
Regards
Kevin"
I'm sorry but I still don't get it...

RE: LIMITED EDITION JANUARY 2015 RELEASE METROPOLIS STEELBOOK (LIMITED WORLDWIDE TO 4000)
Reply received from Eureka Entertainment Ltd. earlier today. Make of it what you will:-
"Hi Nicholas,
There are always overages made due to damages etc. so although the numbers do go slightly beyond 4000 there are only actually 4000 in circulation (3816 to be precise). Had we known this before we took delivery we would have numbered the outer paper wrap. If you order one direct from us we can make sure it's definitely within the 4000 range.
Regards
Kevin"
I'm sorry but I still don't get it...
I understand that there may be slightly more made incase of extras or damages, I'm not sure how there's only 4000 in circulation unless it's because they hold a certain number back incase of promotions/ damages and so forth. If that is the case then they really should have made sure the numbers over 4000 were the spare ones.

Reactions: severo
It's completely normal to have, lets say, 5% production over the limitation, but like sigill says, they should have kept the numbers >4000 strictly for promotion purposes or replacement copies at a later time... this will not sell out anytime soon, and ive spent 60 pounds on an opened copy of the original, so wake me up when this hits the 9.99.

Reactions: Sigill
Going what the reply to the question asked
They have said its only 3816 in circulation

I can see how this did happen as it standard with limited editions to have extras for replacements

Problem is the number is laser-etched onto the steelbook
A limited release will always extra stock to cover replacements but with this release these also had to be laser-etched numbered
You cant have 2 or more steelbooks with the same number

Only other option was to choose replacement stock to not be numbered but then you have complaints my steelbook is not numbered
This happened with previous laser-etched numbered releases

If the numbering was just a sticker or numbered card then its easy to only have the steelbook numbered 001 to 4,000
Most Promotion copies some can be not numbered if needed and still keep numbered stock to 4,000 numbered

It's certainly a beautiful steelbook and very different to the original (which I also like) although I feel strongly that the laser etched numbering should have been stopped at 4000. Surely you don't expect to buy a "worldwide limited edition of 4000" and end up with a numbered copy above that (as contributors here have reported and provided photographic evidence of)? Even though it is the same item and the only reason for a number is if one day it is necessary to move it on you would hope that the number would help you to at least get back what you paid for it... However, I admit to having no experience of numbered limited editions and this is, to my knowledge, the first UK steelbook numbered in this way, although I recall a similar kerfuffle with the numbered limited edition "Harry Potter" collector's boxset limited if I remember to 25000 with some customers reporting higher numbers on their editions. We have seen reported here a number almost two hundred over the 4000 (4199) and others in between (4152 and 4161) and if there are only 3816 in circulation I wonder just where the numbering starts - at 0383 if in the unlikely event 4199 happens to be the highest number in circulation? I wait for a contributor here to post the information that their numbered edition has a number below 0383 or indeed above 4199...

It's certainly a beautiful steelbook and very different to the original (which I also like) although I feel strongly that the laser etched numbering should have been stopped at 4000. Surely you don't expect to buy a "worldwide limited edition of 4000" and end up with a numbered copy above that (as contributors here have reported and provided photographic evidence of)? Even though it is the same item and the only reason for a number is if one day it is necessary to move it on you would hope that the number would help you to at least get back what you paid for it... However, I admit to having no experience of numbered limited editions and this is, to my knowledge, the first UK steelbook numbered in this way, although I recall a similar kerfuffle with the numbered limited edition "Harry Potter" collector's boxset limited if I remember to 25000 with some customers reporting higher numbers on their editions. We have seen reported here a number almost two hundred over the 4000 (4199) and others in between (4152 and 4161) and if there are only 3816 in circulation I wonder just where the numbering starts - at 0383 if in the unlikely event 4199 happens to be the highest number in circulation? I wait for a contributor here to post the information that their numbered edition has a number below 0383 or indeed above 4199...
There has been a couple of other Steelbooks that were numbered. World War Z ES was numbered and didn't have any problems as far as I remember. City of God was also numbered and there were a few issues with Steelboks not being numbered. This is a nice looking Steel which I would be tempted to pick up but the price is a little high. I can see these coming down at a later date.

There has been a couple of other Steelbooks that were numbered. World War Z ES was numbered and didn't have any problems as far as I remember. City of God was also numbered and there were a few issues with Steelboks not being numbered. This is a nice looking Steel which I would be tempted to pick up but the price is a little high. I can see these coming down at a later date.
Thank you for reminding me about those two - I've just checked them and noticed the number on "W.W.Z" half hidden under the Entertainment Store sticker (3986/5000).Regarding "City of God" I can see printed "Limited Numbered Edition" on the j-card though no number and I presume the number is hidden on the steelbook somewhere under that...?
I did buy the new "Metropolis" the other day for GBP 18.50 plus p&p after deciding not to buy it for GBP 19.99 from Zavvi. I was hoping that the price would come down to the GBP 15 level between release date and now but this did not happen - instead Zavvi sold out and the Amazon price seems to be stuck at GBP 20-25.
For those interested in the original edition (which was selling on eBay for between GBP 70-90 for the past few years) this can now be bought for around GBP 35-40. As with other re-releases the prices of the originals are more often than not adversely affected unfortunately.
Just in passing, I've noticed that 8 of the Eureka M.O.C. steelbooks can be picked up now from an Amazon marketplace seller at exceptionally good prices but I fear that this particular steelbook will always be priced high until it goes OOP and that then it will fetch higher prices than the original.

Thank you for reminding me about those two - I've just checked them and noticed the number on "W.W.Z" half hidden under the Entertainment Store sticker (3986/5000).Regarding "City of God" I can see printed "Limited Numbered Edition" on the j-card though no number and I presume the number is hidden on the steelbook somewhere under that...?
I did buy the new "Metropolis" the other day for GBP 18.50 plus p&p after deciding not to buy it for GBP 19.99 from Zavvi. I was hoping that the price would come down to the GBP 15 level between release date and now but this did not happen - instead Zavvi sold out and the Amazon price seems to be stuck at GBP 20-25.
For those interested in the original edition (which was selling on eBay for between GBP 70-90 for the past few years) this can now be bought for around GBP 35-40. As with other re-releases the prices of the originals are more often than not adversely affected unfortunately.
Just in passing, I've noticed that 8 of the Eureka M.O.C. steelbooks can be picked up now from an Amazon marketplace seller at exceptionally good prices but I fear that this particular steelbook will always be priced high until it goes OOP and that then it will fetch higher prices than the original.
The numbering on City of God is on the bottom of the Steelbook. You can only see it if you unseal it. The price has remained firm on this, it may sell out quicker than expected. I'm still waiting out hoping for a price drop, if I miss it then it will be my own fault! Lol.:)

The numbering on City of God is on the bottom of the Steelbook. You can only see it if you unseal it. The price has remained firm on this, it may sell out quicker than expected. I'm still waiting out hoping for a price drop, if I miss it then it will be my own fault! Lol.:)
If it's of any interest to you I've just noticed that this is back at Zavvi for GBP 19.99.

Reactions: Sigill
i was just looking for this, and see it OOS everywhere except of 3rd party sellers.
i can't believe they sold 4000 of a second print run when they struggle to sell the same amount of copies of other movies for bargain bin prices.
it's a truly beautiful steelbook, and i will need it for keeping my MOC steel collection complete. but i was really hoping to pick it up for a tenner down the line. :rolleyes:

i was just looking for this, and see it OOS everywhere except of 3rd party sellers.
i can't believe they sold 4000 of a second print run when they struggle to sell the same amount of copies of other movies for bargain bin prices.
it's a truly beautiful steelbook, and i will need it for keeping my MOC steel collection complete. but i was really hoping to pick it up for a tenner down the line. :rolleyes:
What second print run there was only the one print run and some replacements made due to some of the original batch been faulty
The print run was meant to be 4,000
There was only 3816 in circulation due to some of the original 4,000 been faulty
The extra copies made were numbered higher than 4,000
But the overall total was in circulation was only 3,816 and some of these was numbered higher than 4,000
Even though some were numbered higher than 4,000 there was only 3,816 actual steelbooks

Where did you get another 4,000 print run idea from as I not heard anything about that or any announcements of a second 4,000 print run

Has anyone got one numbered 8,000

What second print run there was only the one print run and some replacements made due to some of the original batch been faulty
The print run was meant to be 4,000
There was only 3816 in circulation due to some of the original 4,000 been faulty
Some were numbered higher than 4,000
But the overall total was in circulation was only 3,816 and some of these was numbered higher than 4,000
Even though some were numbered higher than 4,000 there was only 3,816 actual steelbooks

Where did you get another 4,000 print run idea from as I not heard anything about that or any announcements of a second 4,000 print run

there was the 2010 steelbook with an assumed print run of 4000, and most of that 4k was lost in the sony warehouse fire in 2011, that's why metropolis was the only MOC steelbook besides "touch of evil" that sold out in the recent years.
i meant to say that the 2015 therefore is a second print run with new artwork, but i don't think they just replaced the "burned" copies of the initial 2010 version, but printed another 4k with the new cover artwork.
at least that's what i was thinking. ;)

it was never on discount anywhere since its release, and it's been only 10 months since then, so i can't see this really being sold out. where are the 2500 unsold copies? ;D :p

there was the 2010 steelbook with an assumed print run of 4000, and most of that 4k was lost in the sony warehouse fire in 2011, that's why metropolis was the only MOC steelbook besides "touch of evil" that sold out in the recent years.
i meant to say that the 2015 therefore is a second print run with new artwork, but i don't think they just replaced the "burned" copies of the initial 2010 version, but printed another 4k with the new cover artwork.
at least that's what i was thinking. ;)

it was never on discount anywhere since its release, and it's been only 10 months since then, so i can't see this really being sold out. where are the 2500 unsold copies? ;D :p
:LOL:
The 2010 Steelbook not the same steelbook they are completely different

15594_large.jpg

The 2015 Steelbook is a new steelbook with new artwork a different steelbook
119455_large.jpg

My eyesight not gone yet they look different to me :LOL::rofl:

It was never a title to sell out in weeks it was always going to be a few months to a year to sell out and that is why only third party sellers have stock available
It's a 1927 Film and not a film most would be jumping at to purchase day one like modern day films

You get steelbook re releases all the time with new artwork these would be considered new not a second print run
Only when artwork is exact same as before and disc inside is the same can you say it a second print run or part of a shared print run
This does happen of course when another country gets the exact same steelbook like we see happen in Germany and other countries

The Eureka Entertainment 2015 Steelbook is a beautiful Steelbook but it is not a film everyone would be in a rush to get like other films
Metropolis from 1927 is considered important to cinema history but some of the younger generation it would not be high on their list to purchase but some of the younger generation would be interested

? Do you consider a previous steelbook with different artwork that gets a new steelbook with new artwork to be a second print run and not a new steelbook release

:LOL:
The 2010 Steelbooks are not the same steelbook they are completely different
View attachment 194545

View attachment 194546

The 2015 Steelbook is a new steelbook with new artwork a different steelbook
View attachment 194547

My eyesight not gone yet they look different to me :LOL::rofl:

It was never a title to sell out in weeks it was always going to be a few months to a year to sell out and that is why only third party sellers have stock available
It's a 1927 Film and not a film most would be jumping at to purchase day one like modern day films

You get steelbook re releases all the time with new artwork these would be considered new not a second print run
Only when artwork is exact same as before and disc inside is the same can you say it a second print run or part of a shared print run
This does happen of course when another country gets the exact same steelbook like we see happen in Germany and other countries

The Eureka Entertainment 2015 Steelbook is a beautiful Steelbook but it is not a film everyone would be in a rush to get like other films
Metropolis from 1927 is considered important to cinema history but some of the younger generation it would not be high on their list to purchase but some of the younger generation would be interested

? Do you consider a previous steelbook with different artwork that gets a new steelbook with new artwork to be a second print run and not a new steelbook release

duh, thanks for pointing that out 5 times. re-release or 2nd print meant the same for me in this case. 2nd print of the same film was what i was talking about. ;) i think you know that i know that 2010 and 2015 are not the same artwork. i'm still confused as the new 2015 release looks to have sold 4000 copies in a few months, while all the other MOC's can't be sold out within many years for bargain prices? something seems odd to me with this.

duh, thanks for pointing that out 5 times. re-release or 2nd print meant the same for me in this case. 2nd print of the same film was what i was talking about. ;) i think you know that i know that 2010 and 2015 are not the same artwork. i'm still confused as the new 2015 release looks to have sold 4000 copies in a few months, while all the other MOC's can't be sold out within many years for bargain prices? something seems odd to me with this.

The fact that it's a beautiful steelbook and numbered might have made a difference to sales and lot of members on varies web forums posted images and videos of the steelbook and it still took a few months to sell out so it was not that fast but still sold well quicker than some expected
The previous steelbook is not as nice looking so that is why that is still available and did not have any advertising promotion like the 2015 release had

Some steelbooks sell well quickly or in a few months and some are still available for years after
This steelbook been beautiful and numbered and had a lot of advertising and talked about more so than other releases get so sales would made a difference without that advertising it would have took lot longer to sell
Promoting a release in cinema magazines and other media and web forums will help a release if it is done well

@severo
Have you forgotten about the solid gold bar
The chance to win 180gm*Metropolis engraved solid gold bar worth approximately £4000 was a good promotion idea to sell this steelbook
I wonder did they announce who won it

Last edited:
The fact that it's a beautiful steelbook and numbered might have made a difference to sales and lot of members on varies web forums posted images and videos of the steelbook and it still took a few months to sell out so it was not that fast but still sold well quicker than some expected
The previous steelbook is not as nice looking so that is why that is still available and did not have any advertising promotion like the 2015 release had

Some steelbooks sell well quickly or in a few months and some are still available for years after
This steelbook been beautiful and numbered and had a lot of advertising and talked about more so than other releases get so sales would made a difference without that advertising it would have took lot longer to sell
Promoting a release in cinema magazines and other media and web forums will help a release if it is done well

@severo
Have you forgotten about the solid gold bar
The chance to win 180gm*Metropolis engraved solid gold bar worth approximately £4000 was a good promotion idea to sell this steelbook
I wonder did they announce who won it

the first 2010 steelbook sold out in 2011 after it was announced that most of the print-run was destroyed in the sony warehouse fires. i paid 70€ for mine two years ago. the value went down a lot after the re-rerease, but it's definitely not "available" anymore. it's OOP since 2010 and sold out in 2011.