Midnight Special (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: January 15, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order December 25 around 12 PM UK time)
Price: £15.99

11573221-1434523478593862.jpg

11573221-1204523478820629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't picked up the amaray yet.. was still a bit bummed Amazon.de cancelled the original steeelbook release (which was to have better art imo).
This is great news though. Loved this film!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: misformatt
I hadn't picked up the amaray yet.. was still a bummed Amazon.de cancelled the original steeelbook release (which was to have better art imo).
This is great news though. Loved this film!
I'm gutted that one never happened too. :(

Not sure about the hype with this movie. It's OK but that's about it. I read it was compared to ET (WTF?) which it absolutely isn't.

It starts off real slow and pretty much maintains that pace for the whole movie. If anyone is expecting an all out action Sci-fi then forget it. It's essentially a drama. And a rather dull one at that.

It doesn't even explain why the movie's called Midnight Special!

Not sure about the hype with this movie. It's OK but that's about it. I read it was compared to ET (WTF?) which it absolutely isn't.

It starts off real slow and pretty much maintains that pace for the whole movie. If anyone is expecting an all out action Sci-fi then forget it. It's essentially a drama. And a rather dull one at that.

It doesn't even explain why the movie's called Midnight Special!

It's a different breed of film as compared to ET. ET is a science fiction spectacle- Midnight Special is an auteur's take on a science fiction-esque story.
It's not necessarily a film that's meant to appeal to a wide release (which is why it didn't get a wide release). Nichols' film is deliberately paced- slow- but touches on thematic elements intrinsic to human nature.

So to expect an 'all out Sci-fi action' flick would be completely wrong. Midnight Special isn't a bad film- it's just unconventional. It's like being mad at Sicario because it's not Bad Boys.

Also the movie is called Midnight Special because of the almost pulp frame story being comparable to a Sci-Fi 'Special' normally airing at 'Midnight' because it doesn't inherently garner a wide audience.

I thought it was kinda like Starman. Alien road movie with drama in. Albeit not quite an alien. But yeah, not quite what I expected either.

As much as I want this, I think I'm going to hold out for a price drop... last time I pre-ordered Zavvi exclusives (Downfall, Lost in Translation) the titles were in a 10% off offer a week later. :sour:

Reactions: Marc Dooley
As much as I want this, I think I'm going to hold out for a price drop... last time I pre-ordered Zavvi exclusives (Downfall, Lost in Translation) the titles were in a 10% off offer a week later. :sour:

good idea and very good to know.. I want this, and I jumped on LiT first chance I got, but the price is a little on the high side.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Funny enough I watched this last night after it being on my shelves for about 6 months and it was ..... ok, not brilliant but not rubbish either.

I was hooked all the way through and Michael Shannon as always performs really well.

It was just the ending that took it away for me really, without giving anything away, it just felt unfinished and didn't really go anywhere.

And before people start and say," oh do you need to have closure in every movie you watch", definitely not, it just reminded me of no country for old men the way through both movies were excellent all the way to the very end, and then bam! Credits roll.... really frustrating after such a good story all the way through .....

Maybe not a special steelbook but certainly has a midnight vibe . . .

Pic courtesy arika_avenger
DT6VTjvVMAAIvjP.jpg:large

. . . and always a nice touch when the artwork is replicated on the O-ring :thumbs:
DT-orAZVAAQvEOM.jpg

Reactions: digitalbabe
Question- what is the difference between a J-Card and an O-Ring?
A j card wraps around the steelbook in the shape of a 'J' (short part to the front, long part covering the back of the steelbook)

O ring is a slip cover that slides over the case (from the top or bottom) Slip box has one side open for the sliding the steelbook in and out sideways.

Question- what is the difference between a J-Card and an O-Ring?

Some of the styles of steelbook data cards:-

a) No ring (lol) - where all details printed directly on the steelbook
Examples - 3 from 2008 in the UK:-
sweeney-todd-blu-ray-3.jpg
10000BC_Limited_Steelbook_Edition_02.jpg
wanted-blu-ray-steelbook-uk-rare-oop-region-free-read-56e0717ab6131e2f763a147aaff8cf66.jpg

b) Previously - and still - an O-ring is just another name for a full height (or 3/4 height called a "stubby") slipcover - slips vertically over the steelbook or plastic case - but now more usually refers to what we have here on MIDNIGHT SPECIAL. . . . sometimes with closed or open bottoms or even just a ring with no full height back.
Mostly, but certainly not exclusively, seen on Disney UK steelbooks.

c) J-card is just the often thin data card glue blobbed to the back of the steelbook . . .
. . . which wraps around and over the bottom of the steelbook - or over the top - so that the BBFC stamps (by law in the UK) and the Blu-ray/UV info can all be seen on the steelbook front.
d) C-card goes over the top and bottom
e) H-card(see below)
f) L-card (see below)

Whatever they are they are surely better than the early days of steelbooks when all the info/details were printed directly on to the steelbook backs thus losing one whole side where there could be artwork:-

Examples of the various styles of backing data cards:-
b) O (low level / high level / moveable)
upload_2018-1-20_22-42-25.png
s-l300.jpg
upload_2018-1-20_23-27-17.png
upload_2018-1-20_23-28-9.png
m-G71Kmu5XbJ_eWlNGPiZ4w.jpg

upload_2018-1-20_23-36-24.png
upload_2018-1-21_23-17-30.png
upload_2018-1-21_23-19-36.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
c) J (low level)
m60kRlW.jpg
upload_2018-1-21_0-3-42.png
$_86.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
c) J(high level)
s-l300.jpg
upload_2018-1-20_23-55-12.png
upload_2018-1-20_23-57-12.png
upload_2018-1-21_0-8-13.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d) C
cVw8P8d.jpg

s-l300.jpg
IMG_1573_sm.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e) H
s-l640.jpg

fotografias-de-el-hogar-de-miss-peregrine-para-ninos-peculiares-en-blu-ray-3d-original.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
f) L
after-earth-steelbook-4.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: