Midsommar (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [Japan]

Oct 18, 2018
Release date: September 9, 2020
Purchase link: Amazon JP
Price: ¥12,980
Group buy: hosted by Aniv (USA only)

DAC3F587-E0FD-42D4-8DB6-2BA42741AF99.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think hereditary for me too plus it actually freaked me out at times. But I find myself more drawn to midsommar despite the time length (and when I watch it I only watch the directors cut). Both are edited incredibly and the score on both are so different but so amazing. I love all the weird clicks in hereditary and the folk music in midsommar. I do find one scene in midsommar hard to watch though, the part with the old man after the cliff. With Toni Collette being fantastic in hereditary and Florence Pugh in midsommar it’s hard to choose a favourite haha
Yup, the highlights in Midsommar

cliff scene, ending, parents death montage scene) were absolutely incredible, but after the cliff scene the pace slowed down immediately with the weird subplot where those two characters started a fight about the essay thingy. Hereditary picked up the pace after that car scene and I still get chills just thinking about the complete second part of that film while I only get chills thinking about specific scenes in Midsommar. It's really personal though and not really objective. Both are incredible. I think I would've liked Midsommar more if it was released before Hereditary, I had very high expectations for Midsommar because of Hereditary, for Hereditary I had no expectations so I was completely surprised.

Steelbooks would have to be my religion to pay this otherworldly price. I don't worship at the altar of steelbook. I am not that far gone, yet.
And by the way, the credits at the bottom of the steelbook takes a lot of class away from it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3Maters
Hereditary is more purely frightening but I just love to melt into Midsommar. I don't watch Midsommar as a horror movie. I watch it as a fairytale film akin to Alice In Wonderland, Oz, or Narnia. It totally works when you watch it through that lens.
That's actually really smart, never thought of it that way.
Never thought I'd a 15 person orgy in a fairy tale but still

Hereditary is more purely frightening but I just love to melt into Midsommar. I don't watch Midsommar as a horror movie. I watch it as a fairytale film akin to Alice In Wonderland, Oz, or Narnia. It totally works when you watch it through that lens.

This is very true. And Alice in wonderland is one of my favourite stories and it does fit this in a eerie way. And probably the reason I love midsommar so much. Even the tripping scenes and the dinner Scene at the end being like some morbidly paralysed bright version of the mad hatter tea party.
By the way I only mentioned horror earlier because it is still classed as a horror but I do agree that it’s not a traditional horror or even feels like a horror but I do like that horror (especially nowadays) can cover a lot of ground

Reactions: 3Maters
Does anyone know what's the difference between the 12,980 version vs. the 9,130 version? The pictures are the same for both and both say they come with 3 mini posters. And both have 3 discs. Why is version one cheaper?

Does anyone know what's the difference between the 12,980 version vs. the 9,130 version? The pictures are the same for both and both say they come with 3 mini posters. And both have 3 discs. Why is version one cheaper?
The price difference comes from the included discs: 1 x 4K UHD + 2 x Blu-ray vs. 2 x Blu-ray + 1 x DVD.

Reactions: MM3 and Hereticz

The 9,130 version is without 4K I guess. The listing says 3 discs yeah, but there is no 4K UHD in the title. Price difference is fitting as well.

Reactions: MM3
Agree good movie but disposable, watched once and I'm done. I'm in it for the film as well as and rather than just the steelbook, if both good I'm in. For this I'm out!!!

Last edited:
I've just watched the director's cut on blu-ray and I want it now on 4K. It's silly why the 4K disc is not DC. Is the 4K DC too big to fit on a BD-100 or what?

Is there any real difference to the DC? Is the story different or is it just filler?
I went straight for the DC. Haven't watched the theatrical release. I like the pacing and the depth it gives to the background story and the characters. I don't think there is any drag at all. A couple of scenes may seem prolonged, but its effect is to intensify the scenes and the atmosphere.

I normally just watch DCs and will watch the Theatrical Release later if I have time. DCs are the directors' preferred cut and usually they have the right balance vs. theatrical releases cut for commercial reasons.