Modifying SteelBooks

Feb 17, 2010
Share how you modify your Steelbooks here.

diy1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving this thread, it's nice to see people modding the cases rather than treating them as precious things to be looked at and not touched I think i will try some modding of my own, only trouble is that i find it difficult to remove the covers without damaging them

Loving this thread, it's nice to see people modding the cases rather than treating them as precious things to be looked at and not touched I think i will try some modding of my own, only trouble is that i find it difficult to remove the covers without damaging them

I use a guitar pick and they come off easy as anything.

Just getting ready to swap my Ghostbusters for a 2 disc carcass so I can put the 4K version in as well.

After much practice, it becomes a lot easier. For myself I know some of it was just nervousness because I thought I was going to damage the steel but after your first time it will get better.

How the heck did you manage to do that??!,,,:drool::drool:

I found a company online that print lenticulars. You just submit the two images you wish to be 'flipped' and they print it and send it to you.
This was just a test to see what the quality/end product was like.
Upon receiving this, I went and ordered 10 more, for various other steelbooks, so stay tuned...I will post pics when they arrive...

I found a company online that print lenticulars. You just submit the two images you wish to be 'flipped' and they print it and send it to you.
This was just a test to see what the quality/end product was like.
Upon receiving this, I went and ordered 10 more, for various other steelbooks, so stay tuned...I will post pics when they arrive...

Looks fantastic!

At some point can you detail the process, company link, sizing, prices etc?

Cheers! :thumbs:

Looks fantastic!

At some point can you detail the process, company link, sizing, prices etc?

Cheers! :thumbs:

For all those that asked...

I got this done from SnapilyPro

They are based in the USA, but still cheaper than a UK based company I asked. The UK based company wanted £54 for one lenticular print.
This USA company only charge around $7 for one print, and shipping is $11 (so $18 total~£11)
When I just ordered 10 from them, it came to £46 total, inc. shipping. That is only £4.60 each, which is very cheap. The more you order, the cheaper it works out, as shipping only increases slightly.

Sizes
Full size - 5.24 x 6.66 inches
Smaller size (to fit inside embossed border) - 4.37 x 5.79 inches

Not sure how well they will fit though, because I had the Hunger Games one oversized on purpose, just so I could cut it to the right size when it arrived.
I measured lenticulars that came with steelbooks, and got the sizes from that.
I used the above measurements on the 10 I just ordered, so will have to wait and see how well they fit when they arrive.

It's very easy to use the website.
You have to use the wizard: http://www.snapilypro.com/wizard/flip/1/
Just upload the 2 images, choose white background, as you'll have to mount it to magnetic vinyl, and that's it.
I also went for rounded edges on the 10 I ordered, but did not on the Hunger Games (I rounded them myself) so again, will have to see what they are like when they arrive. I emailed them and the told me the radius used to round the edges is 1/8 inch, which is just over 3mm. I used a 5mm radius for the Hunger Games.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! :thumbs:

Where do you get your images from?

Cheers!

I get my images from a forum called Customaniacs

Users post really good hi-res artwork for movies. It is not free. You have to buy credits to download from them, but it is not too expensive. I just buy 100 credits at a time, and re-new when they run out. It is better than anything I can find on Google. They also have Titles for movies, which is really handy.

When creating my lenticulars, I have the title in the same place on both images, so it does not move when the image flips. That is how they are done on the actual ones that come with DVD's/Bluray's.

Has anybody ever disassembled one of these?
itwy.jpg

I'm thinking the back is a metal plate that would budge free once the foam was removed.

I'm also thinking about trying to recreate the foam section.
The material seems very similar to the foam you can find at craft stores.

My intention is to create something i can safely carry steelbooks in, specifically in my instance to work so I can scan them. This Tuesday after the holiday break, I have 5 steelbooks I want to bring in and scan, and I hate just carrying them loosely or in a plastic bag.

great info, i have a quick question -> how do you attach the 3d lenticular with the magnetic vinly ? and do you know a place to get magnetic vinly that is cheap?

great info, i have a quick question -> how do you attach the 3d lenticular with the magnetic vinly ? and do you know a place to get magnetic vinly that is cheap?

The magnetic vinyl I get is self-adhesive, so you just peel the backing paper off, and attach the lenticular. I get mine off ebay, and they have various different thicknesses. Best to get 0.5mm thickness.

Last edited:
Has anyone disassembled a metalpak? I tried to diasassemble a G1 steelbook and they are harder to do. I need to fix a small dent on my metalpak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk