Modifying SteelBooks

Feb 17, 2010
Share how you modify your Steelbooks here.

diy1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
you put the shell back on and it closed properly?, cause i put my front back on and it would still not close properly.
Try both shells. When they're off, try laying them flat on their inside side, see if maybe they're not straight.

Last edited:
Reactions: blusteel980
4-disc Insert :D
yuFuinc.jpg

Grab the spine with one hand
94CuUpr.jpg

With the other, grab the top corner while placing your thumb on the other edge (the opening side) and push it away from you
reOwcIK.jpg

Heat up the spine to loosen the adhesive. You can use a hair dryer. I used my 3D printer's heated bed at 70C
350qK6u.jpg

Gently lift the edge of the spine with a razor blade and gently slide it down the length of the spine
h19ye5R.jpg

After cleaning the spine on the case and spine from adhesive (Goo-Gone or rubbing alcohol) use 6mm tape applied to the spine to stick it to the new shell.
BwmJtEa.jpg

Stick the spine onto the new plastic case, and slip the covers back on.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: lgans316 and Drum18
Seen these titles for the spine of After Earth and really wanted a title on my copy. Unfortunately I can't get hold of one any more. Does anyone know a way of getting one or have any other solutions? Or possibly a custom spine design I could print myself either?
1170342_501441846620798_2026342125_n.jpg

Just putting it out there and feel free to move this post but would anyone know if it was a possiblity to get the "Classic Number" on the spine printed up? A bit like the spine sticker for frozen i aquired through this site. Someone somewhere must possess the skills to print off onto vinyl all 53 (and onwards) Classic numbers for us to add to our Slips? #takemymoneynow

Template1f.PNG
Hi Folks
Can someone help me out here please as it's driving me nuts.
I got Gimp installed and got the template for the inside from another forum , opened it up with gimp and managed to get all my artwork in properly to the black bits but when I come to print the final image that is printed is way to small for the steelbook.
What am I doing wrong here fellas ?
This is the template I downloaded above.

View attachment 281462 Hi Folks
Can someone help me out here please as it's driving me nuts.
I got Gimp installed and got the template for the inside from another forum , opened it up with gimp and managed to get all my artwork in properly to the black bits but when I come to print the final image that is printed is way to small for the steelbook.
What am I doing wrong here fellas ?
This is the template I downloaded above.
I'm not too sure about Gimp as I don't use it but I do use Photoshop and it looks to be right on the money for me so long as I print from within Photoshop.
B68CD9D0-33C5-4CDE-883C-99C326F7E867.JPG

I'm looking for one of the new inserts which can hold 6 discs, does anyone have one or a damaged steelbook that contains one? I could also make do with a 4 disc insert @kingkarl1967 - for some reason I am unable to quote your post - make sure your printer settings are to print "actual size." I usually get mine printed rather than doing it myself. It's better quality and not that expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingkarl1967
My first attempt of modifying one of my steelbooks.
The first treatment went to Thor, the Zavvi lenticular steelbook. I just hated the inside of that steel i just had to do something. It looks so much better and matches the front art perfectly. I like it! Job well done.
I didnt want to go through the hassle with the spine though so i skipped that, but its fine as it was so dark to begin with it doesnt look out of place.
uxwN1jv.jpg

I made some "customs" where i really disliked the front/back of some Steels

Passengers (HDzeta)
Another amazing Fullslip (great spot-gloss embossing), but the WWA front of the Steelbook is so bad omg, so i cutted the lose Lenti and taped it on the Steel :D

IMG_4467-3.jpg

Kill Bill 1+2 (Novamedia)
I love Nova for doing (hopefully all) Tarantinos, but i wish they would care more about the back of the Steelbook (looks abit off this way, but when closed its way better imo)

IMG_4470.JPG

Available on shop.hidefninja.com are the plastic fully enclosed steel slips w uhd logos to apply. Also you can search for disc hubs so if you are pimping your steel to 4K and need more disc space you can easily add 1 disc

Example shots below

FD1C5B6B-C739-44FB-BB8F-612739540EF2.jpeg5E9FEA33-992E-4F01-A121-F9ADAB721ABF.jpeg27BDF6DF-6109-41F1-B267-C48E25A74366.jpeg0969F1C8-FD45-4C14-BCFC-F99B8B0E9AE8.jpeg