Mortal Kombat Collection Megathread - CONFIRMED! 3 games for $9.99!

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
The original three games and their updates, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy, were styled in a 2-D fighting fashion with gameplay consisting of six buttons that were high punch, low punch, high kick, low kick, block, and run (run was added in "Mortal Kombat 3").

MK1Box.jpg

Mortal Kombat is a 1992 fighting-game developed and published by Midway for arcades. In 1993, home versions were released by Acclaim Entertainment. It is the first title in the Mortal Kombat series. Upon release, Mortal Kombat became one of the most popular arcade games of all time. It was subsequently ported to home video game consoles and became a best-selling game. Mortal Kombat also became one of the most controversial video games, for its depiction of gore and violence using realistic digitized graphics.

Story:

Mortal Kombat focuses on the journey of the monk Liu Kang to save Earth from the evil sorcerer Shang Tsung, ending with their confrontation on the tournament known as Mortal Kombat. The game spawned numerous sequels, as well as a successful 1995 motion picture adaptation, and is one of the most popular fighting games to date.

Characters:

MK_character_select.png

Johnny Cage
Kano
Raiden
Liu Kang
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Sonya Blade

MK_Fatality.png

MK2Box.jpg

Mortal Kombat II is the second title in the Mortal Kombat fighting video game series. MKII was first released as an arcade game in 1993. It is often regarded as one of the best fighting games ever.

Story:

Following his failure to defeat Liu Kang in the first Mortal Kombat game, the evil sorcerer Shang Tsung begs his master, Shao Kahn, to spare his life. He tells Shao Kahn that the invitation for Mortal Kombat cannot be turned down, and if they hold it in Outworld, the Earthrealm warriors must attend. Kahn agrees to this plan, and even restores Tsung's youth. He then extends the invitation to Raiden, who gathers his warriors and takes them into Outworld. The new tournament is much more dangerous, as Shao Kahn has the home field advantage, and an Outworld victory will allow him to subdue Earthrealm.

Characters:

MK2Char.png

Returning characters

Sub-Zero – Male ninja with the power of ice. Later revealed to be the younger brother of the original Sub-Zero, seeking to complete the original Sub-Zero's failed mission.
Johnny Cage – Hollywood actor who joins Liu Kang in his journey to Outworld.
Liu Kang – Shaolin monk who is the reigning champion of Mortal Kombat. He travels to Outworld to seek vengeance for the death of his Shaolin monastery brothers.
Raiden – Thunder god who returns to Mortal Kombat to stop Kahn's evil plans of taking the Earthrealm for his own.
Reptile – Shang Tsung's personal bodyguard. Previously a palette swap of Sub-Zero with Scorpion and Sub-Zero's moves, he has been made into a distinct character and given his own moves.
Scorpion – Hellspawned spectre who returns to the tournament to once again assassinate Sub-Zero.
Shang Tsung – The evil sorcerer who convinced Kahn to spare his life after losing the last tournament, with a new evil plan to appease his master, who in turn restores Tsung's youth. He also serves as a sub-boss of the game, appearing before Kintaro in the single player mode. As in the first game he is able to morph into any of the playable characters, retaining their moves.

New Characters

Baraka – Tarkatan nomad warlord responsible for the assault on the Shaolin Monastery.
Jax Briggs – U.S. Special Forces officer who enters the tournament to rescue his partner Sonya Blade from Outworld. Jax was originally going to be named Stryker, a name that would later be used for another character in the next sequel.
Kitana – A female ninja who is an adopted daughter of Shao Kahn, the Emperor of Outworld. She officially fights for the Outworld but secretly is aiding the warriors of Earthrealm.
Kung Lao – Shaolin monk, descendant of the Great Kung Lao and close friend of Liu Kang. He seeks to avenge the destruction of the Shaolin temple.
Mileena – Kahn's personal assassin, and clone of Kitana with Tarkatan traits. Her mission during the tournament is to ensure the loyalty of her "sister", but she also has plans of her own.

MK2Fatality.jpg

MK3Box.jpg

Mortal Kombat 3 is a fighting game, developed by Midway and released in 1995, first as an arcade game. It is the third game in the Mortal Kombat series.

Story:

Fed up with continuous losses in tournament battle, Shao Kahn, who had lost to Liu Kang in the Outworld tournament, enacts a 10,000 year-old plan. He would have his Shadow Priests, led by Shang Tsung, revive his former Queen Sindel, who unexpectedly died at a young age. However, she wouldn't be revived in the Outworld. She would be resurrected in the Earthrealm. This would allow Shao Kahn to cross the boundary lines and reclaim his queen. When Sindel is reincarnated in Earthrealm, Shao Kahn reaches across the dimensions to reclaim her. As a consequence of his action, the Earthrealm becomes a part of the Outworld, instantly stripping billions of their souls.

Only a few are spared, as Raiden protects their souls. He tells them that Shao Kahn must be stopped, but he cannot interfere; due to his status, he has no power in Outworld, and Earthrealm is partially merged with Outworld. Shao Kahn has unleashed extermination squads to roam throughout the Earthrealm and kill any survivors. Also, Raiden's protection only extends to the soul, not to the body, so his chosen warriors have to fight the extermination squads and repel Shao Kahn. Eventually with his final defeat, every human on Earthrealm comes back.

Characters:

MK3Char.gif

Returning characters
Jax - Special Forces major who joins Sonya in attempting to apprehend Kano.
Kano - Black Dragon thug who escaped arrest by Sonya and Jax.
Kung Lao - Shaolin monk who seeks to stop what Kahn is planning.
Liu Kang - Returning Mortal Kombat champion.
Sonya Blade - Special Forces lieutenant setting out again to capture Kano.
Sub-Zero - Rogue Lin Kuei ninja who fled the clan after refusing to be converted to a cybernetic unit.
Shang Tsung - Shao Kahn's devious sorcerer.
Smoke - Cyber assassin from the Lin Kuei, who was once a close friend of Sub-Zero.

New characters

Cyrax - Lin Kuei cyber assassin.
Kabal - Former Black Dragon warrior.
Nightwolf - Native American shaman.
Sektor - Lin Kuei cyber assassin.
Sindel - Resurrected Queen of Edenia who is being controlled by Shao Kahn.
Sheeva - Female Shokan who serves Shao Kahn.
Stryker - Riot control officer.

MK3Fatality.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Retailer Lists Mortal Kombat Arcade Compilation

With MK publisher, Midway being subjected to an untimely fatality, we may not have seen the last of old-skool MK just yet if a listing from games retailer ShopTo.net is accurate.

A collection of the first three classic Mortal Kombat games could be in the offing, although there are currently no other details at present. However, the PS3-only listing tags the RRP at £19.99 with a release date of November 12th, 2010.

It looks likely that Warner Bros - who now own the MK IP - might put together a collection including Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 ahead of the MK reboot which is pencilled in for a 2011 release, and it would certainly make a lot of sense. But until we hear formal confirmation, we'll take this with a big ol' pinch of salt for now.

It would be cool if they did do a collection. If they did, I would hope they would make the graphics PS3 worthy, and the controls a little cleaner. I picked up the MKII off of the PSN, and it was no good, which sucks because that was the game Diva and I played on our first date. :scat:

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection Bringing Original MK Trilogy to PSN

Mortal Kombat will be returning to the PlayStation Network this summer, with arcade-perfect ports of the original trilogy together for the first time ever in a single collection, which will be available to download at one rather bargainous price.

“We are very excited to finally have the first three Mortal Kombat games available in one download package for long-time and new fans to play,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director at NetherRealm Studios. “With the release of our 2011 Mortal Kombat, and its return to 2D gameplay, players have been asking for these classic titles and we are happy to deliver them.”

Other Ocean will be on development duties in conjunction with NetherRealm Studios, creating perfect renditions of the original Mortal Kombat games complete with their rosters of classic characters and accompanying fatalities, as well as all of the original environments and memorable secrets. What's more, the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection will also feature online play, leaderboards and trophies.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection will be coming to the PlayStation Store in summer 2011 for £6.29/$9.99.

Mortal Kombat Memories: Development Tales from NetherRealm Studios

I’m really happy to see the upcoming release of the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, which hits PSN next Tuesday, August 30th. The MKAK is a great way to relive the classic Mortal Kombat arcade games right in your own living room, but I’m also excited that players who enjoyed this year’s new Mortal Kombat will soon have the opportunity to play the first three games that set the foundation for the entire fighting-game franchise.

I was introduced to Mortal Kombat on April 20th, 1992. I was fresh out of art school and starting my career at Williams/Bally/Midway. I remembered being overwhelmed that I was actually walking into the building where some of my favorite games were created: Narc, Robotron, Defender, and Smash TV just to name a few. Mortal Kombat was yet to be released. However there were a few Mortal Kombat prototypes lining the halls of Midway that we could test out. I remember being just blown away by my first experiences with Mortal Kombat. What first struck me was the size of the digitized characters on the screen. They were huge! I remember selecting Kano as my first character: I was a big Terminator fan at the time, so the choice was obvious. I also remember how in awe I was working (and playing) along side of the guys that created the game. A few days after that, I met the actors that were filmed for the game. John Tobias and Ed Boon brought the whole cast of characters back in to capture the video bio sequences that happened during the attract mode. It was funny how low-budget the whole thing was. It was actually just filmed in the hallway where we tested the games with a low-end video camera, a few lights, and a piece of black cloth as the backdrop. It was a very garage-band scenario but I recall just being blown away that I was witnessing the creation of something big, never really knowing how big Mortal Kombat would actually become.

<iframe id="viddler-eb145122" src="http://www.viddler.com/embed/eb145122/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&disablebranding=0" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0"></iframe>​

In this video clip, Mortal Kombat’s longtime Lead Sound Designer Dan Forden discusses the origins of “Toasty!” — one of the most celebrated Easter Eggs in the history of gaming.

Mortal Kombat II was fun in that I had the opportunity to witness the team create the game from the ground up. I was working on another game team at the time, but I was slowly becoming friends with Tobias, Ed, and Tony Goskie. Tony is an amazing artist that bases his talent in surrealism; Mortal Kombat II’s introduction to Outworld was a perfect match for Tony. Luckily my office was directly across from Tony’s so I had the opportunity to see him create some of the most iconic environments in the game. I remember Tony’s disappointment when he had to remove the crucified four-armed Shokan from the Wastelands. We thought it was an interesting element in the background, but the company thought it may be perceived as sacrilegious. One of the best memories I had from the Mortal Kombat II days was when I was asked to be the floating monk in the Tower background. You can’t really tell it’s me in the shrouded robe, but at the time I dorked out hard telling everyone I knew that I was in the latest Mortal Kombat!

<iframe id="viddler-3a7a866b" src="http://www.viddler.com/embed/3a7a866b/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&disablebranding=0" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0"></iframe>​

In this video clip, Creative Director and co-creator Ed Boon talks about the creation of Mortal Kombat’s iconic dragon medallion logo.

Mortal Kombat 3 is special to me because that was the first Mortal Kombat I was on as an artist. I was honored that John and Ed asked me to join the team. I basically worked alongside John, cleaning up characters, building costumes, and creating special FX. Making Mortal Kombat 3 was a really great time. We busted our asses. We worked crazy hours and stayed overnight quite a bit. Building the character costumes was probably the most fun. Now we build everything in 3D, but back then we had to rely on sporting goods stores, army surplus stores, Halloween shops, and a lot of duct tape. It was a blast getting the cyborg costumes together: it was a mix of BMX motocross gear, hockey protection, duct tape, and rubber tubing. For being really thrown together I am really happy with the way Sektor and Cyrax turned out. By the way, before they were known as Sektor and Cyrax, John Vogel named them Ketchup and Mustard.

<iframe id="viddler-ae1cd10b" src="http://www.viddler.com/embed/ae1cd10b/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&disablebranding=0" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0"></iframe>​

In this video clip, Mortal Kombat artist, animator, and motion-capture performer Carlos Pesina recalls how his mother reacted to his career choice.

I am honored to still be working on the Mortal Kombat franchise. I love the Mortal Kombat universe and all the talented people I get to work with every day. In addition to that, I feel we have the best fans in video games. They are extremely devoted and our team deeply appreciates their devotion over the past (almost) 20 years. Thank you all sincerely.

Reactions: Wreck
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection Hits PSN Tomorrow

About 20 years ago, Midway was at the cutting edge of arcade game development using a unique method of creating very realistic images. By digitizing live actors, shot in front of a green screen, a number of games were developed that had a photorealistic look not found in any other games. Games like Narc, Smash TV, NBA Jam and Terminator 2: Arcade all used this technology. This approach was applied to a number of game categories including sports, gun games, and shooters.

One genre, however, had not yet been attempted – the fighting game. In 1991, a small team of four decided to try making a fighting game using digitized graphics. The goal was to make something bold, shocking, and as realistic looking as possible. The game would eventually become Mortal Kombat, the first in a series that have sold over 30 million games.

Mortal Kombat was the “bad boy” of fighting games. It unapologetically depicted blood and had a much more hard-edge presentation than its tamer competition. Mortal Kombat’s bold presentation wasn’t without its controversy, but that only fueled the game’s unstoppable popularity. In addition, Mortal Kombat introduced a deep story and unique characters that also set it apart from other fighting games.

My name is Ed Boon, I was part of that original design team of four and now am the creative director at NetherRealm studios where our team of over 100 has recently shipped the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat. As we approach Mortal Kombat’s 20-year anniversary it’s hard not to think back to where it all started. The first three Mortal Kombat games used the digitized method to create their photo realistic images and truly set the stage for our most recent Mortal Kombat game which retells their stories.

As a celebration of the games that started it all, we are very excited to be offering The Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, which contains all three classic games (Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3) available for download from PSN tomorrow, August 30th. Each game has its own unique look, style and gameplay “feel” that’s nothing like the other two. Mortal Kombat II is the preferred game of many players, but Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is my personal favorite. All three games are complete versions of their original and can now be played online as well.

It’s hard to believe we are coming up on 20 years since the original Mortal Kombat was released in the arcade. Everyone seems to have their own story of when they first saw Mortal Kombat or one of the game’s fatalities. The Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection is great way to relive those memories and we really hope you enjoy it!

FAQS

Q: Is there any bonus stuff for it? like Videos, art or even themes?
A: Sid Shuman said: Looks like it’s just the game, at least for now

Q: Is this an HD Upgrade?
A: Sid Shuman said: Would love to see an HD upgrade, but seeing as the original games used 480i digicams to shoot the actors, there’s no high-res reference/master file to refer back to to enable higher source resolution. Translation: This is as good as it will get for MK unless they wanted to reshoot actors again using an HD cam…. which is kinda nuts :)

Q: What is you already own mortal kombat 2 can you get the other to at a discount price or do you have to but all three
A: Sid Shuman said: No discount, but it’s $9.99 and UMK3 is worth that alone :)

Q: trophies ? Home rewards ?
A: Sid Shuman said: Trophies for sure, not sure on Home rewards yet…

Q: Is ninja smoke in the game?
A: Sid Shuman said: Human Smoke is almost certainly there (I’ll know for sure tomorrow), but I doubt the code is different as this is a direct port of the arcade game. But you have to select robo-Smoke, then press High Punch, High Kick, Block, Run, and hold away (left) with the joystick simultaneously until the match begins. You’ll turn into Human Smoke.

This is as good as it will get for MK unless they wanted to reshoot actors again using an HD cam…. which is kinda nuts

Nuts? Uh hell yeah re-shoot for HD! :p

are you from the SNES days ? If so ... then yeah that is crazy to believe. :p I was into them back then, not so much now a days.

My favorite fighting series is Soul Calibur, and IV is the most beautiful of all of them. Can't wait for V.

Tekken has been the most disappointing series, aside from me enjoying #3.

Was never a huge MK fan, mostly because I'm terrible, but I do enjoy the new one, and will be getting this collection tomorrow.