Mortal Kombat

Jan 29, 2009
MK9_PS3.jpg

Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment just revealed that the famous fighting franchise will return to PlayStation 3 in 2011 in a new MK that will be played in 2D.

The company says that the game will include extensive online play, a "tag-team" game option that supports up to four players in two-person teams and "the deepest story mode of any fighting game." The game will also support classic 1 vs. 1 combat. The graphics engine is said to be brand-new.

MK creator Ed Boon is overseeing the project, which is in development at the new MK-centric NetherRealm Studios in Chicago. "This game really is a response to what players have been demanding," Boon said in a press release, "mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!"

Mortal Kombat was last seen in video game form in 2008's Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe, a T-rated game that toned down the series' classic violence so that Superman could tangle with Sub-Zero and friends. Mortal Kombat has been in the news this week thanks to the Mortal Kombat Rebirth movie pitch trailer that we showcased here on Kotaku.

Order

Standard: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6E1JS/?tag=hidefnin-20
Collectors: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GD1Q4G/?tag=hidefnin-20
Tournament: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GD1Q2I/?tag=hidefnin-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Kratos finisher is going to be epic,i can't wait to see it,i think this is going to the greatest fighting game since the First MK

Cant wait.
And MK was legendary. Dont know how much $$ I used to dump into the arcade game.

yeah my brother got the game on Super Nintendo and paid $110 for it on release day,haha. :hilarious:,crazy amount of coin for a game and he still paid..it was awesome thou

Goro and Jade Come To Mortal Kombat

Another two characters have been confirmed for Mortal Kombat, joining Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, Reptile et al for another bout of bone-crunchingly brutal violence. Game Informer have the scoop once again in their February issue, revealing Goro and Jade as the next two spine-crackers to make their way into the growing MK roster.

Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon says that Goro will adhere to his traditional appearance, with four arms and a big ponytail as usual. He'll also be able to throw projectiles - ie. fireballs - and will reside in his dank and inhospitable lair, decorated with corpses dangling from the ceiling. Nice interior design there.

Jade was originally a non-playable hidden green-attired version of Mileena and Kitana in Mortal Kombat II, and apparently her look will be a blend of her Ultimate Mortal Kombat (in which she became playable) and her get-up in Mortal Kombat: Deception, and she'll utilise her trademark boomerang weapon.

There's also talk of post-launch DLC, which Mortal Kombat Online speculates could mean more guest pugilists in a similar vein to Kratos, coming to the roster as downloads. That remains to be seen of course, but it sounds like a great idea.

Mortal Kombat to spill blood on UK soil from April 18

Warner has slapped a UK release date on its bloody brawler Mortal Kombat, confirming the fighter’s hitting shelves on April 18 – otherwise known as "Mortal Monday." That’s Warner’s words, not ours.

A North American release is also due around the same time, though a concrete date's yet to be pinned down.

The eponymous reboot of the classic beat ‘em up franchise was first unveiled back at E3 last year, and features a host of iconic combatants such as Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Jade. Bald brute Kratos will also be popping up to crack some heads in an exclusive coup for the PS3 version.

Two Mortal Kombat films out April 19 on Blu-ray, both include PS3 MK DLC

Mortal Kombat (1995) and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) will be available on Blu-ray on April 19, 2011, Warner Home Video announced. The two films tout a video resolution of 1080p, an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, and a digital copy that can be offloaded to a variety of devices.

Both films include a PlayStation Network voucher which will net purchasers an additional costume for Jade in the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot from NetherRealm Studios. The films also include an HD trailer of the game in their special features sections.

Liu Kang reveal trailer

As if you ever doubted it for a second, Liu Kang has been officially unveiled for Mortal Kombat's roster, despite being spotted in a developer video a couple of weeks ago. So, while we've known for a while now that Kang had made the cut, it's good to see him get his own trailer and all that anyway.

Dare You Climb Mortal Kombat's Challenge Tower?

As if Mortal Kombat wasn't tempting enough already, NetherRealms Studios has now released details of the game's massive Challenge Tower, which comprises a staggering 300 different missions, which vary from classics like Test Your Might and Test Your Sight, to new challenges like Test Your Luck or any number of weird and wonderful fights based upon a combination of random fruit machine reels.

So expect battles while the screen is upside-down or where your kombatants have no arms or heads, as well as fights against zombies or certain boss characters. For instance, there's one challenge that involves taking on Shao Kahn as Sub-Zero and Scorpion, but he can only be damaged by the former when his duds turn blue and damaged by the latter when his clothes turn orange. Cue lots of frantic tagging in and out.

Will you have what it takes to tackle all 299 challenges to make it to the final challenge called 'End Game' and reap the rewards that come with completion? If so, the guys at NetherRealm want to see your efforts up on YouTube. Consider that a gauntlet duly thrown down.

Mortal Kombat Demo 3D Hands-On: What You’ll Get On Tuesday

5496030321_54ea500be5.jpg

Sometimes, life is about the simple pleasures. The contented cooing of a sleepy puppy. The smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. The sickening crunch of Scorpion stomping your rib cage while an X-ray view displays the internal damage in real time. In 3D.

Yes, friends. I have played the Mortal Kombat PSN demo, and it is good. Comprised of four characters and two stages, the demo is a meaty preview of what to expect when the full game hits PS3 on April 19th (April 21st in the EU). PlayStation Plus subscribers are getting early access this coming Tuesday, March 8th (March 9th in the EU) and it’ll be delivered directly to your PS3 as long as you enable Automatic Downloads in your XMB settings. All other PSN users will be able to download the demo on Tuesday, March 15th.

The demo comes with four playable fighters: Johnny Cage, Mileena, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero. Fan-favorite Scorpion is nastier than ever, packing his trademark throwing spear (“Get over here!”) and a wicked new sword, while rival ninja Sub-Zero forges weapons from ice and shatters internal organs with a touch. Hollywood prima donna Johnny Cage hits below the belt, and sai-wielding mutant assassin Mileena makes no effort to hide her gleaming five-inch fangs. You’ll also get two environments: The Living Forest and The Pit, complete with its gruesome stage fatality.

5496623092_a00f976a57.jpg

Mortal Kombat’s stereoscopic 3D viewing mode is exclusive to the PS3, and I was lucky enough to try it on a massive 60’’ 3D Sony Bravia. Stereoscopic 3D lends an impressive sense of grandeur and scope — the environments seem to stretch on into infinity but don’t distract from the fighting. “We didn’t want 3D to change the basic mechanics or complicate things needlessly,” Mortal Kombat creative director and series co-creator Ed Boon told me. “Our 3D implementation makes the characters pop from the background a little more, and helps you focus on them.” By rendering the fighters in 2D for its stereoscopic 3D mode, Mortal Kombat’s action remains visible even if you’re not wearing 3D glasses. This is a handy detail if you’re playing with a group on a 3D TV and find yourself short of 3D glasses — everyone will be able to play and watch whether they wear 3D glasses or not. If you’re not wearing glasses, the 3D backgrounds will look a bit blurry but the characters will appear crisp and clean.

5496605462_e02e6479f0.jpg

Gameplay-wise, the Mortal Kombat demo is loaded with special attacks, combos, juggles, and ultra-powerful X-ray attacks that will leave your opponents reeling (and your stomach heaving). The action is fast and satisfying, with a 2D, side-scrolling feel that’s much closer in spirit to MKII or MK3. A standout example lies in the glorious return of the turn-around kick, which is a powerful juggle combo starter where you jump over an opponent and kick after you clear his shoulder. Judging by my hands-on time, turn-around kicks — a staple of the classic games but downplayed in later entries — are back in full force. According to Boon, this is by design. “We know turn-around kicks are an essential ingredient this time,” Boon told me. With a little practice, I was able to easily perform my signature Scorpion combo from Mortal Kombat II: Turn-around jump kick, teleport punch, spear throw followed by an uppercut or combo for an easy 25-30% damage. Not bad, but I’m sure some of you can do much better!

The Mortal Kombat demo supports two modes: One-on-one Versus battles (the final game supports two-on-two tag battles as well), and a short single-player Ladder mode. Protip: Completing that Ladder mode in the PSN demo unlocks a jaw-dropping video montage of the final game, complete with glimpses of new fatalities, returning characters, and impressive new stages. I won’t spill any secrets, but consider that video to be required viewing.

Oh, and one more thing: The “Toasty” guy is back. I’ve seen him! Have any questions about the features or feel of the upcoming PS3 Mortal Kombat demo? I’ll be delighted to provide further information, just ask away in the comments.

Under the Hood: Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition Fight Stick for PS3

5516690164_2d052cf899.jpg

I’m a simple man. I like my arcade joysticks rigid, my buttons concave, and my fighting games streaked with bodily fluids. So I jumped at the chance to go hands-on with the Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition fight stick at the Game Developers Conference. Designed as a tribute to the gory glory days of 1990s-era arcade fighters, this authentic American-style fight stick will ship with Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition on April 19th for a cool $149.99.

This stick feels like the real deal — no surprise given that developer NetherRealm Studios helped design the cabinets for the classic arcade Mortal Kombat games. Connected via a USB cable, the unit is big and burly with a sturdy, substantial feel and some serious heft. A thick memory foam pad cushions the bottom of the unit, enabling comfortable knee-top play (though it’ll work just fine propped on a coffee table, too). A sliding metal latch enables the top to flip open, revealing a neat internal wiring array as well as a capacious cavity that will accommodate games, accessories, and anything else you manage to cram in there. No severed body parts, please.

5516691314_f5d8af10ef.jpg

Mortal Kombat arcade veterans will immediately recognize the baseball-bat-shaped joystick and concave buttons — an iconic American design that Ars Technica gaming editor Ben Kuchera has cleverly dubbed the “superhero” (“because it’s a bat and a cave”). The stick itself has a tighter, springier feel compared to the looser action of ball-topped Japanese-style sticks that are widely available on the PS3. Joystick design preference can be a touchy topic with serious fighting fans: Some players will always prefer the raised buttons and looser feel of the Japanese-inspired fighting sticks, while others will appreciate the distinctive feel of this American-style stick. Like many things in life, it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

5516104391_18406ac021.jpg

With the fight stick resting comfortably on my knees, I tried out an updated version of Mortal Kombat that included a plethora of characters you won’t find in the PlayStation Plus demo. I played as Jax, the metal-armed military brawler; Sektor and Cyrax, the twin cyborg ninjas that annihilate foes with plasma nets and guided missiles; Kano, the wily thug who licks his knives clean between fights; and Baraka, the ghoulish mutant with lethal arm blades. I also tried out the newly revealed Challenge Tower, a single-player mode that pits the player against a gauntlet of increasingly bizarre and difficult challenges in order to earn currency to unlock secrets and new content.

I played the game in the PS3-exclusive stereoscopic 3D mode, which plants the characters in the foreground and adds layers of sprawling depth to the colorful backgrounds. Mortal Kombat’s 3D implementation is clever because it the characters are rendered in 2D, which means that the action is playable whether you’re wearing 3D glasses or not. For more details on the 3D mode, catch up on my preview of the PlayStation Plus demo.

5516103775_ecbcf55892.jpg

What I didn’t see was the Big Bad himself, final boss and tournament overlord Shao Kahn. “Shao Kahn is ridiculous,” Creative Director Ed Boon told me at GDC. “We knew he had to be hard,” he said, revealing that his difficulty pushed the studio’s battle-hardened game testers to the brink. “Shao Kahn’s gotta be somebody you’re afraid of, he’s gotta have that crazy fear presence from the old games.” Shao Kahn’s famous rumbling taunts have also made the cut, and there are more than ever by Boon’s estimation. “He’s got all the old taunts, and a bunch of news ones too.” Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn!

Also missing in action was Kratos, the PS3-exclusive character who needs no introduction. Next week, we’ll be checking in with the team of Sony Santa Monica Studios, creators of God of War, for their thoughts on working with NetherRealm Studios to bring Kratos to life in the arena and how Mortal Kombat served as a major influence for their game development careers.