Oblivion (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: Novermber 9, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (pre-order 12 noon UK time Saturday October 3rd for Red Carpet subscribers and 6pm for everyone else)
Price: £24.99

12705873-8224804642866525.jpg
12705873-7334804642960665.jpg12705873-1564804642934769.jpg

Last edited:
It IS BETTER than the blu ray trust me. The difference might not be night and day like some 4K but hdr and wide colour gamut improve the picture. Blu Ray looks flat in comparison. Blu Ray is good but 4K better.

Reactions: jasong
What exactly is the finish? Looks matte to me, but want to be sure.
I never know what to call it, but its like that slightly shiney matt, matte texture with the silver and Tom's outfit picked out. Feels matte.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Noodles
It IS BETTER than the blu ray trust me. The difference might not be night and day like some 4K but hdr and wide colour gamut improve the picture. Blu Ray looks flat in comparison. Blu Ray is good but 4K better.
I like the 4K HDR like this so will probably prefer, but heard this view from some so maybe preference?

"So, unlike many other 4K movies I own, in which there's an overall increase in both color depthness and details, the Ultra HD release of 'Oblivion' asks viewers to choose between a more detailed, sterile image in 1080p (on the Blu-ray disc) and one that is deeper in color/contrast (and honestly, manages to make the movie look a little more like film, despite its digital origins) in 4K. While I personally enjoy the 'warmer' look that HDR provides 'Oblivion', I can't really argue with those who would rather have the razor-sharp imagery in each and every scene that the previously released 1080p disc provides".
Source: HighDefDigest’s review

Last edited:
I like the 4K HDR like this so will probably prefer, but heard this view from some so maybe preference?

"So, unlike many other 4K movies I own, in which there's an overall increase in both color depthness and details, the Ultra HD release of 'Oblivion' asks viewers to choose between a more detailed, sterile image in 1080p (on the Blu-ray disc) and one that is deeper in color/contrast (and honestly, manages to make the movie look a little more like film, despite its digital origins) in 4K. While I personally enjoy the 'warmer' look that HDR provides 'Oblivion', I can't really argue with those who would rather have the razor-sharp imagery in each and every scene that the previously released 1080p disc provides".

that’s an extract from HighDefDigest’s review of the 4K disc.

Depending on your viewing conditions ie dark room, size of screen and price range of tv, you will see bigger difference and also it’s the quality of the moving image also as the 4K disc has far more information on it you can check the mbps rate on your 4K remote to see difference from blu ray also. Also I’ve noticed a better picture on PS4 for standard blu rays after a hdr update from PS4 so much better than any other blu ray player I’ve seen. After watching the 4K disc of any movie for the first time, I pick a good scene and swap to the standard blu ray and check it out. It’s only then after your eyes are accustomed that you’re like wow blu ray looks flat and dull has no life. You need at least 50 inch tv also. Doesn’t need to be very expensive; the mid and lower range still improve massively providing they have hdr. The older movies shot on film, if scanned properly show a glistening grain that holds all the detail beautifully, like being in the cinema on opening night. Blu Ray is good for every day but for movie night you need 4K it can be stunning. I should have noted that this is a steelbook collecting forum and for some that is all that matters but if you actually enjoy the films as well it’s important to know 4K is better; don’t believe the critics.

Last edited:

i quoted my post on page 2...
well, from videophile point of view, it appears to have less details than 1080 BD but then again you gained HDR and WCG from 4K UHD and i think this is really subjective so you might need to judge this yourself...

anyway i attached here, Oblivion 1080 BD / 4K UHD comparison PQ so you can give it some thoughts, please be noted that they can't capture HDR to show on normal screen so the 4K images here and on your screen TV would look different but you get the idea, overall you'd see that 4K PQs appear to look good through out but check these:

(1080BD / 4K UHD)
if you look at one image of Tom's mustache close up you'd see that on 4K the details are lesser and becomes blurry on 4K

next capture close up on his would face, on 4K it appears to be blurry...

next capture from spaceship, on 1080 BD you can still guess the word ODYSSEY? but on 4K you can barely read it...

so there you have it, hope this helps...
*source HD-Numérique, la référence 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray et Home-Cinéma pour les passionnés

Coming at this from a photographers point of view I still have to disagree. If you were looking at a moving image side by side on same tv you would see difference. This quote sums up what you are seeing and it’s how it can fool you on a screen grab.less detail can appear sharper but you are ultimately seeing LESS detail. With 4K it’s the overall detail including colour information that puts blu ray in the shade. Your favourite movies should be seen at their best. My moonization on you tube has better comparisons and more technical expertise.

Attachments

• 6BDBB737-D9D4-4540-8C84-BB2E307755AE.png
    6BDBB737-D9D4-4540-8C84-BB2E307755AE.png
    391.6 KB · Views: 93
Coming at this from a photographers point of view I still have to disagree. If you were looking at a moving image side by side on same tv you would see difference. This quote sums up what you are seeing and it’s how it can fool you on a screen grab.less detail can appear sharper but you are ultimately seeing LESS detail. With 4K it’s the overall detail including colour information that puts blu ray in the shade. Your favourite movies should be seen at their best. My moonization on you tube has better comparisons and more technical expertise.
Ultimately, though, it's down to personal taste and whichever you prefer. At least we have the choice!

Yes, that’s why I prefer to get the blu ray included. Really hope the coming to America release isn’t going to become a trend because I need the blu ray too.

The original DI had sharpening baked in and you can see it in the Blu-ray, they must have attempted to remove it with the UHD but went a bit too far and some detail is lost. Still, it’s not a bad presentation in motion, especially with the much lauded HDR, wide color gamut, and killer Atmos track.

I will always choose to watch the UHD but the included Blu-ray has the isolated score track so I wouldn’t want to get rid of it either.

What exactly is the finish? Looks matte to me, but want to be sure.
Really, really basic thin, cheap, nasty, rough oldschool matte. Genuinely makes WB releases look primo. Essentially the same as the Waterworld steel finish, but to my eyes it looks worse somehow. More metallic shimmer (not in a good way imo) and unfortunately not as sharp as I'd have expected, the same can be said for the interior. At this point I'm still considering returning it :banghead: :BS:

Watching the 4K it now, have to say, does look great. :thumbs:

It’s kinda funny, the background they used on the Steelbook is the Comic-Con teaser banner, with the San Diego convention center being all post-apocalyptic even though the movie takes place in New York.