Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 7 Votes
Title: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - In theaters July 26, 2019

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Quentin Tarantino

Cast: Leonardo Di Caprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie and more!

Release: 2019-07-26

Plot: A story that takes place in Los Angeles in 1969, at the height of hippy Hollywood. The two lead characters are Rick Dalton, former star of a western TV series, and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth. Both are struggling to make it in a Hollywood they don’t recognize anymore. But Rick has a very famous next-door neighbor…Sharon Tate.

I saw it yesterday. My take... spoiler free.

It will go over the heads of the general masses who will likely say it dragged on too much for a long while. BUT that's because they cant appreciate film, setting, rich character development and this film is like an onion with MANY layers if you are willing to dig deep into the WHY and personally I find it pure genius. Once it can be discussed openly (many having seen it, I think many opinions can be swayed)

its also worth informing one's self on the murder of sharon tate, charles manson etc. and I mean LITERALLY just like a brief paragraph ... you dont have to deeply inform yourself, but if you dont know who manson is, or sharon tate, etc. then it will be hard to find some of the ingenuity in what is done.

and as QT has stated before, the movie is not so much about them as more merely a back drop. And that's true.

Reactions: Sigill
its also worth informing one's self on the murder of sharon tate, charles manson etc. and I mean LITERALLY just like a brief paragraph ... you dont have to deeply inform yourself, but if you dont know who manson is, or sharon tate, etc. then it will be hard to find some of the ingenuity in what is done.

and as QT has stated before, the movie is not so much about them as more merely a back drop. And that's true.

I started thinking about that last night while watching this. If someone doesn't know anything about Sharon Tate or Charles Manson there are parts of this film that people wont really get... or resinate with quite as well.
QT doesn't spoon feed anything here. If you know about it, great! If you don't, you're SOL. haha He just drops you in to 1969 and its pretty much just a love letter to LA, Movies and TV of that time.

I really liked it. But I will say it isn't my favorite QT film (that honor goes to Inglourious Basterds). It does feel long, I think maybe a few things could have been trimmed near the beginning and it might have helped. But Leo and Pitt are pure gold in this and the heart of the film. They are fantastic.

Reactions: Sigill and MGD
I saw it yesterday. My take... spoiler free.

It will go over the heads of the general masses who will likely say it dragged on too much for a long while. BUT that's because they cant appreciate film, setting, rich character development and this film is like an onion with MANY layers if you are willing to dig deep into the WHY and personally I find it pure genius. Once it can be discussed openly (many having seen it, I think many opinions can be swayed)

when I read this, this speach came to mind

Saw it today and loved it. Like @kaw said it's very much a love letter to Hollywood and film. My Dad put on old Western films and tv series when I was small so that was a nice personal touch for me. Like most Q's films they're not for everyone but I was left completely satisfied. Leo was fantastic :)

An Extended Version of ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Reportedly Being Planned for Netflix

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood actor Nicholas Hammond told “The promise is that like his other film, The Hateful Eight, they just done a 4-hour Netflix version. And I think they’re talking about doing the same. There are some actors like Tim Roth, wonderful actors, who never even made it into the film. I mean, their entire roles got cut.”

An Extended Version of ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Reportedly Being Planned for Netflix

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood actor Nicholas Hammond told “The promise is that like his other film, The Hateful Eight, they just done a 4-hour Netflix version. And I think they’re talking about doing the same. There are some actors like Tim Roth, wonderful actors, who never even made it into the film. I mean, their entire roles got cut.”
Which will probably only appear on Netflix US, just like the extended version of Hateful Eight.

Just got back and I thought it was great, love how no QT film really feels alike these days, mans a genius in that regard. Wish I did know more about some of the source material used in the film but even then it didn't stop me enjoying it.

Probably the funniest QT film to date as well.

Reactions: Noodles
Saw it yesterday....QT didn´t disappoint, but somehow I was expecting little bit more. Hard for me to describe it in english exactly, but the biggest problem for me was a weak storyline/plot. The form is definitely overcome the content here. It´s beautifully shot, audivisually it´s a bomb and that´s why it keeps you still awake and you enjoy what you see. But as @tommyh84 already mentioned, more knowledge about the 50s and 60s US videoindustry is a big plus here and you will laugh much more. But unlike tommy I definitely don´t find this as a funniest QT film to date, absolutely not :)

But overall it´s great of course and ending is......better say nothing about the end....just :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Reactions: harry
Seen this last Thrusday and I think it was great. It felt a bit long at times, but then I totally changed my mind when we got that fantastic ending. And what an ending it was! Its very good to have at least a basic knowledge about what happened in Polanskis house in 69. Much better experience knowing this. Few of my friends went without knowing and they were often confused.

As mentioned above, not the best Tarantino, but still a very good one. Id give it a 8/10 (4/5).

If you wanted to see more of Charles Manson .... watch Mindhunters Season 2 , episode 5 on Netflix as they use the exact same actor to play Charles Manson and WOW... dude nailed it!

Finally got to see this
I’m really not too sure on what to say. Whilst I did enjoy it, it wasn’t amazing! That’s hard for me to say from such a Tarantino freak.
My main issue was the story and lack of it. I thought the acting, cast, soundtrack; visuals, character quips etc etc etc was fantastic. But the story was just a little dead and certain aspects were just a little disappointing (such as the side story)

Big spoiler about the ending and another element: My rant:

The Charles Manson appearance was utterly pointless! After obsessing over Mindhunter, binging both seasons in a few days, and researching the Manson family updating myself on the stuff I didn’t know and then watching the same actor as Manson smash it and showing his crazy side in Mindhunter, I was hugely disappointed by his one extremely short appearance. Loved the ranch scene and Margaret Qualley was awesome (and incredibly hot) but the Manson scene was rubbish

Also the ending. I’m a little confused why it was changed like that! I get and love Tarantino lore and the fact he can change history like the Hitler death scene in IB but this just didn’t seem right. I get that it’s funnier to see Pitt on acid taking out the hippies in a classic savage over the top and hilarious Tarantino way, that’s fine, but it still didn’t seem right. I dunno why, just didn’t. It was most likely done out of respect and also for the big violent/ comedy ending with the 2 main characters but if it was done out of respect then it still didn’t seem right to me.

It should of ended with maybe Tate finally meeting cliff and rick, inviting them over for a drink, the Manson family turning up to do what they did but that goes wrong in a way it did in the current ending with Pitt going all Rambo, rick grabbing his flame thrower (lol that was hilarious) maybe one or 2 of tates mates getting killed and so on.

Also I loved the Bruce lee scene, I don’t care that people aren’t happy with that. That was hilarious

I enjoyed it still, mainly everything but the story lol. But I didn’t hate it. I find it hard putting his films in order of my favourites. I have a few at the top but even that can change depending on my mood. This is around Jackie Brown for me

Reactions: harry