Purchase links: Zavvi

Winner:

ogf.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is in the fact that many people did expect Refn to simply repeat himself after the surprise success of Drive. The thing about Only God Forgives is that it is in fact more 'Refn' than Drive was if you look at his complete body of work. Instead of resting on his laurels or through fear of commercialization, it doesn't seem like he's capable of making the same film twice. OGF is a kind of violent reaction to the mythos he created in Drive - emasculating Gosling's familiar stoic performance and challenging the audience into dealing with the fact that he's not going to be some arthouse action saviour simply because one film really clicked with an audience.

P.S don't buy this steelbook its awful. :p

Ha...I've had this steelbook sealed in my possession for months and decided to actually open it and watch it (for the first time) last week. I' have to say firstly, the steelbook design isn't that bad, I quite like the neon aspect, it just doesn't pop, as the colours are too dull and its got a matt finish, should have been gloss.

The film itself, I did get it, I loved the cinematography and music, and cop Chang playing God, was just awesome, I'm not surprised Julian (Gosling) couldn't get a punch to land, you don't just pick a fight with God and expect to win. Some of the violence did seems OTT though, when Chang doesn't forgive, he really lets you know it.

Overall a great follow up to Drive.

Ha...I've had this steelbook sealed in my possession for months and decided to actually open it and watch it (for the first time) last week. I' have to say firstly, the steelbook design isn't that bad, I quite like the neon aspect, it just doesn't pop, as the colours are too dull and its got a matt finish, should have been gloss.

The film itself, I did get it, I loved the cinematography and music, and cop Chang playing God, was just awesome, I'm not surprised Julian (Gosling) couldn't get a punch to land, you don't just pick a fight with God and expect to win. Some of the violence did seems OTT though, when Chang doesn't forgive, he really lets you know it.

Overall a great follow up to Drive.
For me given the imagery associated with this film there was potential for a steelbook of the year contender, this is alright but it could have been so much more ....

Reactions: lolwut
For me given the imagery associated with this film there was potential for a steelbook of the year contender, this is alright but it could have been so much more ....
Yeah I agree. I think this film deserves a much better Steelbook. While I opted for the 3 disc German edition (which I think is marginally better than the Zavvi/Empire effort) I hope one day maybe Kimchi or Nova can produce a winner!

This movie was so freaking Strange, I watched it but I just don't know why he decided to do this ''more than weird movie''

Can somebody tell the Chinese guy that He Can't Sing !!! lolll

After watching it, I though to myself;
oh well, here is 2hours I am not gonna get back :bored:

Last edited:
Something tells me you're not overly familiar with Nicolas Winding Refn, his career and generally his sensibilities.

I don't need to know a Director in order to know I was bored during this movie(and I love independent movies and international ones as well), but I'd have to say despite not liking it, it's strangeness got me to stay until the end.

and when I referred to ''I don't know why ''he'' decided to do this movie'' in my last post I was talking about Ryan