Transformers
Transformers ROTF

Release date: August 2012
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/search?q=blu-ray+steelbook&sort=release

Actual pics: (tx to Rodtp)
20120808_092936.jpg

20120808_093229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we have to face the fact, that we are a minority. None of the big companies does really care about the prices of a first release on ebay, that's for sure. They don't even get the cash, as the prices begin to rise as soon as the title has gone oop, so, there's no benefit for the company itself.

How should even FS care about this? They sold all their IM for about 29.99 CAD. So what exactly is their benefit of NOT releasing a second batch of IM? The main reason is not because of the sad collectors that have already paid a lot of money for it, it is because FS doesn't think they'll be able to sell another 4'000 copies fast enough in Canada. Risk of not selling them all is too high.

Just think about it: The Avengers made about $185 Mio USD on the first weekend and it is not even yet released in North America. Now compare this amount to a Steelbook Batch of 4'000 pcs sold @ 30 USD, that's a total of 0.12 Mio USD, wow, amazing.. Those companies should better care about steelbook collectors.. [and those 0.12 Mio USD is not yet a net profit, just revenue]

Hey, come on.. I mean, when a company would use "common sense" it would exactly do what you don't want: Release a steelbook-artwork that has risen dramatically in value since it has gone oop, because people like it, obviously.

Companies do not care if a steelbook is bought by a "steelbook collector" or a 'normal person', 29.99 is 29.99 - and if the price gets higher on ebay, they don't care neither, because they already got the 29.99.

All very true. But we also have to remember that it is the collectors (old and new) who are the only ones buying Steelbooks vs. Amarays. And some of the studios decisions have come back to bite them in the butt. While there was likely still margin for them, many of the German re-releases (a whole flood) were wildly unpopular, and now they're routinely clearanced at 7.99 EUR, etc. If they don't listen, they will feel it, especially as some collectors who used to buy have exited the hobby because of the cookie cutter releases. Having said that, the re-releases still have an audience-in this case from Australia, and for anyone else who is unconcerned about whether they have the 1st cover or not, or whether the art is the same. With the mass of releases the OCD collectors who feel like they need to have every single Steelbook (regardless if it's exactly the same) ,has dropped significantly. But, there are new collectors just starting out who may have no interest whatsoever in overpaying for 1st releases, who will still buy the re-releases. In short,the studios know they are catering to various levels of collectors, so they still win, in part.'Collecting' is about uniqueness for many people. So these floods of re-releases, ultimately deminish the whole point-a sentiment expressed by collectors of Steels (and any other supposedly 'limited' item) has expressed for years.

Last edited:
You can't compare that directly. Counterquestion: Why are there so little SB releases in the USA? Probably it's because americans do not care about steelbooks, or at least not as much as the canadians do [yes, I am aware of our fellow us-american members, but they're statistically not representative for the whole us-american market].

So, you just compared sale volumes of two totally different markets - there's no bottom line in this.

I always thought the US got less releases as it doesn't have a G2 factory yet?

You can't compare that directly. Counterquestion: Why are there so little SB releases in the USA? Probably it's because americans do not care about steelbooks, or at least not as much as the canadians do [yes, I am aware of our fellow us-american members, but they're statistically not representative for the whole us-american market].

So, you just compared sale volumes of two totally different markets - there's no bottom line in this.

I've put a RE FS steel on ebay and thought I get about £20, surpised to see this go to £36 before shipping. I checked on Wall Marts at the time and they go for mid £20. I put all Five RE Wall Mart editions ebay and got just over £80:rolleyes: for it. If it would had been future shop I would most likely get more out of them. To answer your question about so little SB releases in the USA - I don't know. I don't work in the studio so I don't know. Sorry I can't answer that.

when your at the top, the only way is down sadly

Back in the days of LE DVD's (Japanese premuim and ultimate editions), people use to pay thorugh the nose for them. the Japanese Ultimate Editions use to go for £45 to £80 depeding on what title it was. i've paid £35 for the DTS edition of Armageddon. i can't give it away now

I tried to sell my Magnifcent Seven Ulitmate Edition DVD last week. no bids on a 99p staring price

Sunny-I am assuming you are referring to the Walmart USA version vs. the FS Canada version. First taxes in Canada are very high, and Futureshop used to have many true Exclusives (art exclusive them worldwide). They definitely still enjoy that reputation, though some have started to buy releases elsewhere because they are much cheaper (and the same Steel-i.e 'Salt' and others). The other factor that plays into Futureshop pricing is that the home video prices are dictated by the distributors, and there is only so much FS can do about the base selling price because of the 2 factors above. Most things in Canada are priced higher for a variety of reasons, vs the US. So whoever is selling Canada versions of the Resident Evil Steels is capitalizing necessarily on both of those factors.

I am guessing, but with news that the Steels were showing up in bargain bins at Walmart, I am sure the 'perception' of value also became a bit skewed. I live in the US, and sadly, Walmart is not generally a store, where I have seen 'Limited Eds' well taken care of. When I went to buy them on release day, the Steels were getting slammed on the counter and shoved around-many, many were damaged. Walmart is a 'bargain' outlet, and imo, for limited releases, there has to be some education for the Sales staff, who may not be at all familiar with the audience for these items, etc.

Futureshop (and other retailers), with their longer history of managing the sales of Limited Eds, may not treat them the same-selling limited eds is now part of their culture (though of course there are always stories about mishandling, no matter what the retailer is) . So, buyers may also be more at ease purchasing them there. That's not to say that FS doesn't damage items-I am sure they do-every retailer does, but it may be a little bit of a different mindset.

Lastly, as Halp mentioned, different markets cater to different buyers. Germany has a HUGE collector base for any collectibles, for instance. The US never really has. Our collectors (growing Steelbook base over the years, generally LOVE the rare occasion when we can go into a local store to buy a Steel, as we've had to import 95% over the years-sometimes getting hosed like many). While there are obviously collectors in the US, it is always a matter of convincing the decision makers that there are enough buyers to justify 'premium' editions. Hopefully with a new G2 (BD Steel size) manufacturing line that was planned for the end of the summer, we see more Steelbooks here-there is no doubt that the base exists-our daily feedback threads and stats confirm it. So hopefully with a smart combination of releasing the right releases, with unique art, and housing them at the appropriate retailers, and dedicated marketing support, we'll have reason to smile.

As an aside-No one should need to get 'ripped off' for any Steelbook title. Our forum has many resources to help new or growing collectors in their search. Before you head to Ebay or elsewhere, feel free to check the stickied thread in the Steelbook General, and the Steelbook Trading area for tips, and dedicated threads for asking about 'current value'. Every day, we see collectors overpay, which usually is not necessary. Sadly, some Ebay sellers are taking advantage of the popularity of Steelbooks, so we encourage you to remain educated by visiting the forum to see what's going on. With the amount of Steelbook releases coming all of the time, hopefully this helps you avoid stockmarket crash-like financial doom:)

Last edited:
I think we'll have to wait for artwork, I do trust that this info has come from Paramount, Anamnesis gets his info directly from them. What if they are viva's or steelcases? And why no Ironman 2 or Transformers 3?

I have a feeling that the Transformers The Movie maybe the animated movie :)

Because Transformers the actual film is just called Transformers. If so this would be awesome. The ebay prices for the blu ray of the animated film is expensive. Be great to release this in steelbook.:)

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Oh no my bad :( it is the first Transformers film, just seen the run time over 2 hours, that can't be the cartoon :rolleyes:

I can understand people's frustration but for someone like me who missed out on Iron Man this is great news!!

If these are like the german paramount steelbooks,no inside art,txt on back etc then i wont bother but if there like recent paramount titles,thor,cap,transformer 3 etc im pretty much in for the lot.

If the artwork on Iron Man and Transformers ROTF and Star Trek is the same as FS and this turns out to be a straight up re-release with the same art I think its time to hang up the steel book skates. At least I will seriously consider it. This is getting to the point of ridiculous on re-releases.

I missed out on plenty of steelbooks and I went back and bought them through secondary channels. Half the fun was trying to get them from other collectors. Albeit at times at a premium, but, thats what makes some of the steels in your collection worth a pretty penny, rare and sought after on top of them just being cool looking packaging for blu-rays. If it weren't for those factors all steelbooks really would just be that: cool looking packaging. Its those things that make them extra special on top. Just my thoughts at least.

I was looking on ebay to pay $200 for a rare steelbook on eBay, but after this news. Screw that...I'm not going to pay top dollars anymore. Sorry seller, you're not getting my money now.

If it's the same artwork, then I'm going back to my statues and fixing up my cars hobby.

Why pay premium when you can buy the re-release right? The folks who paid $200 for a steelbook are probably going to quit too or at least not paid high prices for them. Eventually, everyone's steelbook is nothing special anymore.

In the end, the studio needs customers. We don't need them.

I dare them re-releasing the holy grail Iron Man futureshop. Go for it...it just save me a lot of money from getting out of steelbook.

I do feel bad for the folks who spent $500 for Iron Man futureshop.

I hope Paramount does the right thing by releasing a different cover. You win, and collectors win. Don't be so stupid Paramount...we have enough stupid people in this world already.

If the artwork on Iron Man and Transformers ROTF and Star Trek is the same as FS and this turns out to be a straight up re-release with the same art I think its time to hang up the steel book skates. At least I will seriously consider it. This is getting to the point of ridiculous on re-releases.

I missed out on plenty of steelbooks and I went back and bought them through secondary channels. Half the fun was trying to get them from other collectors. Albeit at times at a premium, but, thats what makes some of the steels in your collection worth a pretty penny, rare and sought after on top of them just being cool looking packaging for blu-rays. If it weren't for those factors all steelbooks really would just be that: cool looking packaging. Its those things that make them extra special on top. Just my thoughts at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Bourne
I was looking on ebay to pay $200 for a rare steelbook on eBay, but after this news. Screw that...I'm not going to pay top dollars anymore. Sorry seller, you're not getting my money now.

If it's the same artwork, then I'm going back to my statues and fixing up my cars hobby.

Why pay premium when you can buy the re-release right? The folks who paid $200 for a steelbook are probably going to quit too or at least not paid high prices for them. Eventually, everyone's steelbook is nothing special anymore.

In the end, the studio needs customers. We don't need them.

I dare them re-releasing the holy grail Iron Man futureshop. Go for it...it just save me a lot of money from getting out of steelbook.

I do feel bad for the folks who spent $500 for Iron Man futureshop.

I hope Paramount does the right thing by releasing a different cover. You win, and collectors win. Don't be so stupid Paramount...we have enough stupid people in this world already.

^^^ Amen to that. I was being dead serious when I said I would seriously consider dumping the steel book hobby. This re-release I think would put me over the top if it comes out with the same artwork. Its just not right no matter how I look at it. If any of the studios are reading they should take note as I cannot be the only collector thinking the same thing. And thats right collectors are the mass % of steel books buyers.

My steel book collection could easily fund a a frame and motor for my 69 fastback project I've been wanting to do if not more.

Similar to what I mentioned on the other thread (I'm not quoting myself):

In general, Australian steelbooks have shared artwork (see thread http://hidefninja.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14301), except for Robin Hood from Universal. Narrowing down to the Paramount releases: they are region-free, debossed, and you look back 17 days ago and find their latest Australian release had shared artwork.

ROTF being the same (this wasn't debossed, came empty for those that pre-ordered, and wasn't a "usual" release from Paramount), not likely.
Whether or not there will be a blue banners, is up for debate.
The rating logos will be on a cardboard slip, definitely.
There will be no bilingual datasheet on Iron Man, almost surely.

Last edited:
I think people are starting to get a little paranoid. There are already different versions out there for Iron Man, Star Trek, & TF2, so it's not like they haven't already got different artwork to use.

Yes, there are many version of Iron Man out there...many version of Batman, Matrix, etc...

We're used to it already, but IF Paramount decides to re-release the same steelbook from Futureshop, then we're going to have a lot of unhappy collectors. That's a big IF... I'm going to hold off my spending for rare steelbook until I know where the studio stands....

It really doesn't matter to me, but it is WRONG if Paramount decides to re-release the same thing.

I want to own some rare steelbook that I don't own already, but I would NEVER ever want them to release them again. It's not right for those who owns it.

I collect steelbook for fun...for the rarity... If the studio takes those away from me, then I do not wish to participate it.

Last edited:
I think everyone is a little concerned with the re-releases, especially Iron Man. There had been no releases for this for four years and suddenly news that this is being released.

Like I said before we don't know what the artwork is like so I think we should all stop speculating if this and if that. I really don't think they will release the exact same Iron Man. The closest will probably without the blu banner which I can live with. If the releases are exactly the same I will pack this hobby in for good and like MayFlower said, go back to my other hobbies collecting other limited items which are actually limited:)

I hope you studio reps for Paramount are reading this, and respect a majority of collectors out here!

Status
Not open for further replies.