Parasite (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [France]

Mar 24, 2013
Release date: February 28, 2020
Purchase links: Amazon FR - FNAC
Price: €34.99 (FNAC) - €32.68 (Amazon)

91klbcgmFaL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nah I meant Peter Jackson film that's actually called King Kong. I would've said skull Island if I was talking about that one.

You said "Dunkirk is a good sample of them using it along with design. So the spark parts have brushed metal making it stand out when you move it in the light " so it sounded like something I wasn't talking about. It sounded like you're talking about the spot gloss, but I wasn't talking about the design at all. I'm not talking about the paint finish. I know the finish can be different for movies, depending on the country, but that's not what I'm talking about.

and yes I know zavvi doesn't make the steelbooks lol, but that's where we get them from. I was comparing the ones we buy from them and the ones we buy from best buy. I'm not saying it's a big difference, just pointing out something I noticed from zavvi steelbooks.

So no, the whole point is that you can have 2 steelbooks of the same movie and the same design and finish, and still notice the brush metal look on the zavvi edition. That's all I was pointing out.

Didn't know that US steels can have that too, haven't seen that yet.

I have the US version of the 4k captain america TFA steelbook and it doesn't have the brushed metal look that zavvi edition has. Same with US version of King Kong.

Oh you mentioned King Kong amongst inception and Dunkirk so I thought you meant kong skull island which was released in that similar wave

Dunkirk (the new 4K steel) don’t have spot gloss. It has the open metal parts showing the shine.

Yeah there seemed to be a miscommunication. I knew what you meant but I started to mention the way the design plays off the finish because your mentioning that all U.K. steels have a brushed metal effect which isn’t true. That King Kong does have it your right and it’s obviously very bare on the title which is used to show the brushed effect off the title but like Paul mentioned and I had mentioned before, sometimes the paint jobs are unfortunately different for us compared to the US because of the factories they are made in and the laws with paint etc. And as axlderage and myself had previously mentioned it’s all about the white base layer etc. They try to keep costs down sometimes which is why the paint job might not be as vibrant and easier to see the actual metal. And sometimes it’s a design choice to make certain parts shine.

Premium steelbooks tend to go more out with white base layers and make the paint jobs thicker but your paying for that (although our steelbooks have krept up in price too). Blufans can also be noticeable with the brushed metal. You can see it on the thor ragnarok steelbook at the top in the green section, their antman has Parts showing, their into the spiderverse on the back too etc etc. But the point I was trying to make (that might of been miscommunicated) is that not all our steels are like that. Especially some of the earlier zavvi exclusives (and at one point they were releasing 10+ exclusives a month for good 2/3 years). And yes ours do differ to the US in terms of that brushed metal being visible and they tend to have better finishes as in full gloss instead of us having matte or spot gloss but also sometimes it’s the other way round and ours is better with a better paint job (that’s rarer)

I’ve noticed that the US 4K marvel wave does have it noticeable in some areas. Maybe not every one but some of them do (a bit like how it’s more subtle behind the green on the Blufans thor ragnarok steelbook) but it’s more noticeable on the zavvi ones because we have a slightly different spot gloss finish to them and paint job. That had been mentioned before.

But honestly, a great deal of the U.K./ zavvi/ HMV/ entertainment store etc etc etc steels don’t have that visible. And I’m not a fan myself, except when it’s used to highlight design like on Ex machina, some Blufans releases, or to highlight titles etc like on King Kong (but yeah I know it’s also visible through the paint job too - but it’s kinda supposed to be to highlight kong, if you look, the background swamp/ jungle is lighter so it’s used to highlight kong more, the problem is, it shows the brushed metal a little too much) and the US will be slightly different because of where theirs is made and the laws and use of the paint/ gloss etc

Reactions: milky and willbar84
And for anyone that ordered, looks like it’s dropped to €32.68

Oh you mentioned King Kong amongst inception and Dunkirk so I thought you meant kong skull island which was released in that similar wave

Dunkirk (the new 4K steel) don’t have spot gloss. It has the open metal parts showing the shine.

Yeah there seemed to be a miscommunication. I knew what you meant but I started to mention the way the design plays off the finish because your mentioning that all U.K. steels have a brushed metal effect which isn’t true. That King Kong does have it your right and it’s obviously very bare on the title which is used to show the brushed effect off the title but like Paul mentioned and I had mentioned before, sometimes the paint jobs are unfortunately different for us compared to the US because of the factories they are made in and the laws with paint etc. And as axlderage and myself had previously mentioned it’s all about the white base layer etc. They try to keep costs down sometimes which is why the paint job might not be as vibrant and easier to see the actual metal. And sometimes it’s a design choice to make certain parts shine.

Premium steelbooks tend to go more out with white base layers and make the paint jobs thicker but your paying for that (although our steelbooks have krept up in price too). Blufans can also be noticeable with the brushed metal. You can see it on the thor ragnarok steelbook at the top in the green section, their antman has Parts showing, their into the spiderverse on the back too etc etc. But the point I was trying to make (that might of been miscommunicated) is that not all our steels are like that. Especially some of the earlier zavvi exclusives (and at one point they were releasing 10+ exclusives a month for good 2/3 years). And yes ours do differ to the US in terms of that brushed metal being visible and they tend to have better finishes as in full gloss instead of us having matte or spot gloss but also sometimes it’s the other way round and ours is better with a better paint job (that’s rarer)

I’ve noticed that the US 4K marvel wave does have it noticeable in some areas. Maybe not every one but some of them do (a bit like how it’s more subtle behind the green on the Blufans thor ragnarok steelbook) but it’s more noticeable on the zavvi ones because we have a slightly different spot gloss finish to them and paint job. That had been mentioned before.

But honestly, a great deal of the U.K./ zavvi/ HMV/ entertainment store etc etc etc steels don’t have that visible. And I’m not a fan myself, except when it’s used to highlight design like on Ex machina, some Blufans releases, or to highlight titles etc like on King Kong (but yeah I know it’s also visible through the paint job too - but it’s kinda supposed to be to highlight kong, if you look, the background swamp/ jungle is lighter so it’s used to highlight kong more, the problem is, it shows the brushed metal a little too much) and the US will be slightly different because of where theirs is made and the laws and use of the paint/ gloss etc
Yea I don't think it's a big deal at all, just pointing out what I noticed. I shouldn't have said they're all like that, just something I've seen on the ones I have. I would still rather buy from zavvi instead of Best Buy because it seems they take pride in making sure you don't get a damaged steelbook. Best buy doesn't give a damn how they handle the steelbooks or how they ship it out to you.

yea didn't intend to spam this thread like this. This Parasite steelbook is pretty damn nice

Reactions: Flloydo
Quick update on the release date of the collector's edition:-
MAJ le 26 février 2020 — Mauvaise nouvelle pour ceux qui attendaient avec impatience leur édition collector de “Parasite” : elle est retardée au 13 mars.

Can you import subs on any 4K player (as they all connect to Internet from my understanding) or is it just this oppo 203 I see mentioned often?
If you use MakeMKV (or Anydvd + whatever to convert to MKV), you can just download the SRT files for subtitles (and in my case, I have to, because the embedded ones aren’t played by my TV player (though maybe the NVidia Shield can pick them up...not sure...haven’t tried removing the SRT file to find out).
Also not sure about Plex (since I’ve yet to get it to work)

• Helpful Post
Sorry to derail this thread.

But anyway back on track. This steel looks f****king amazing
This is way better looking than the US version.....decided to order it. Not much more than buying it from Best Buy (assuming I correctly set up paying in Euros instead of Dollars).

Last edited:
Has anyone received a shipping notification from Amazon FR?
Amazon France often dont ship until after release date especially if you are based outside France

Can be 1 to 3 days after release date and longer sometimes when your order is shipped.

You will have estimated delivery date in your order go by that not the release date

• Informative
Reactions: Steely-Booked
That`s your opinion mate, but I think that there is no advantage from the texture of the brushed steel, because the comic-style of it is kind of ruined. It would have been better to let the brushed metal away and use a plain one.
The debossing is made very well and the overall artworks is also stunning. But it seems like they didn`t think it to the end.

Let’s see it in hands, on paper and from the first pics looks cool to me, but maybe i’m gonna change my mind.

Btw is it confirmed those new fnac and amazon.fr preorders are because of a new full 4000 pcs reprint?

Got two copies from Fnac this week, unfortunately and very surprisingly (almost never get damaged copies from Fnac) both heavily dented :/ , now through the return process with them :grumpy::pain:....

...but steel looks pretty good with the debossed title...

btw, that bloody Oppo 203, it´s kind of unavailable today, what is the upcoming model this year?

Reactions: djjez83
Got two copies from Fnac this week, unfortunately and very surprisingly (almost never get damaged copies from Fnac) both heavily dented :/ , now through the return process with them :grumpy::pain:....

...but steel looks pretty good with the debossed title...

btw, that bloody Oppo 203, it´s kind of unavailable today, what is the upcoming model this year?

You cant buy oppos anymore. they stopped manufacturting 4k players

The only way is through ebay for insane pices

• Informative
Reactions: Hereticz
You cant buy oppos anymore. they stopped manufacturting 4k players

The only way is through ebay for insane pices
When this version of the movie comes from another label (The Jokers) than the US-release (Universal) then this will get difficult, because the Intro is different.

someone will edit the subtitles to make them align correctly. its not hard to do :thumbs:
subscene.com and opensubtitles.org are my favorite websites for subtitles. Maybe you will find something there. I remember that the vlc-player had this feature to navigate the subs until they are in the right position - but it was very hard to fix it and it often had errors. Perhaps the the oppo this feature, too and it is easier to handle the subs. Don`t know but good luck so that you can watch the movie.

Last edited: