Paypal Goods/Gift - Be cautious!

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hi Steelbook traders!

Not sure which Paypal option to choose? Read on to find out more!

attachment.php

Paypal GOODS: We recommend using this on large transactions, with members you've not traded with before or NEW members (ie Trader score of 3 or under) as your transaction will be protected by Paypal up to 45 days after payment.

Paypal Gift* (Also known as Family & Friends): should ONLY be used when you've dealt with the same ninja a number of times - basically when a bond of trust has formed. You will NOT be covered by Paypal if you use this option. Overuse of this option could lead to PP contacting you, so be careful.

*not all countries ALLOW this option

Once you've understood the above, follow the instructions below on how to make a payment via PP: (click on red words for pictures)
  1. Login via Paypal
  2. Click the 'Send Money' Tab
  3. Type in the sellers Paypal email address
  4. Type in the amount you wish to send
  5. Select the currency by clicking on the dropdownbox
  6. Select either GOODS or GIFT aka Family & Friends
  7. Click Continue
  8. Review your payment before sending + option to leave a message in Subject or message box
  9. Click 'send Monday'
  10. Done!

*TIP*: You can use http://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator to determine what the amount of fees should be.

Important, if you see new members not following trading rules - whether that be not posting prices, references or even listing their first 3 transactions in the pending / active sales section... Feel free to contact a staff member or trading mod with questions or concerns.

Thank you everyone for helping to make this a safe trading community - but it is very important that we are always conservative in our dealings with new members - and that it's not only my fellow hardworking Staff/Mods, but it is you, our trading community which makes this trading forum safe. :thumbs:

We do NOT recommend paying or receiving via Amazon giftcard as you will NOT be protected if the deal goes wrong!

Attachments

• rsz_send_money.jpg
    rsz_send_money.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
  • rsz_currency.jpg
    rsz_currency.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 23
  • rsz_amount.jpg
    rsz_amount.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 6
  • rsz_gift.jpg
    rsz_gift.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 5
  • rsz_goods.jpg
    rsz_goods.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5
  • rsz_reviewpayment.jpg
    rsz_reviewpayment.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 7
  • rsz_reviewpaymentbox.jpg
    rsz_reviewpaymentbox.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6
  • rsz_goods&gift-payment.jpg
    rsz_goods&gift-payment.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I'm bumping up this thread again for a note that all our trading ninjas could benefit from.

IF A NEW MEMBER approaches you to trade VIA PM and that new member has NO TRADING THREAD, for your safety and for the safety of your fellow members, PLEASE ask that new member to get enough posts to create a trade thread or post in the pending / active sales section.

If moderators and staff members cannot see these transactions from new members, there is NO WAY we can help folks if we don't know what is going on.

Please use the Pending / Active sales section in lieu of a trade thread, if that user refuses to post anything.

This way, there is SOME record of your transaction and then staff members / moderators can look out for you and your trade.

Thanks everybody!

Thanks Mehdi!

We've also been hearing about some purchases happening by PM only, so for anyone that gets approached that way - let us know with that as well.

If everyone is aware of some simple precautions that you can take to protect your sale or trade, then hopefully, those people that keep trying to take advantage of members will not be able to be very successful.

I'm more a seller than a trader but those simple rules should be followed by everyone in here so that we keep our place safe!

Reactions: apsmith21
Another bump - we'll be adding another guideline to the rules section shortly.

DO NOT TRADE / SELL items that are NOT IN YOUR POSSESSION. Do not take payments on behalf of another party and "forward them on".

If there is no record of your trade posted publicly on this site, we will not be able to provide much assistance in helping you resolve trading issues or questions.

DO NOT TRADE via PM. Post a thread in the active / pending section. Or post the trade in your trade thread with the details and show it as pending in the first post of your thread.

Reactions: digitalbabe
As a reminder, if there is a trader that you are working with and THERE ARE CONSTANT DELAYS, you need to contact a trading mod or staff member.

We know that everyone in this forum works hard and tries to get things out on time and sometimes things hapen.

However, if you are confronted with a member that is constantly delaying, and your package still has not been shipped...maybe over the course of a week or two...

PLEASE CONTACT US.

If you create a thread in the pending / active sales section, the staff and mods will have a timeline and will not have to ask for much information about when things were SUPPOSED TO happen.

Remember, posting in that forum and keeping things up to date in your trade thread, will only help you if things go wrong with a trade or sale.

The more information we have, the better we can help you.

Thank you and good luck with all your future trades & sales.

Reactions: MK50 and SlimJim24
Apsmith21,

I am new on the buying and trading scene, can you just explain if it's safe to pay someone by Amazon gift card/voucher?

Thanks

Apsmith21,

I am new on the buying and trading scene, can you just explain if it's safe to pay someone by Amazon gift card/voucher?

Thanks

Sorry gbdragon, I didn't see this until now.

No, it's not safe to pay via Amazon gift card - you have to essentially trust the person 100% with the purchase.

There is no buyer protection with an amazon gift card purchase.

Reactions: gbdragon
reminder to new members. there is no protection with paypal GIFT payments.

if it's a LARGE purchase (anything over $75), I ALWAYS offer to pay the fees and send as a regular paypal payment.

this way, your first few purchases are protected.

as you become more established in the community, there might be certain traders you work with all the time - that would be an appropriate step to THEN start thinking about gift payments, only when you trust the other trading partner completely, given your past dealings with them.

Last edited:
Reminder - we've had a few of these lately.

If you're paying by gift, then you really need to trust the other user.

For my own personal trades, I would only pay via gift if I had transacted with the other trader a few times.

My first trade or sale from a user, I probably wouldn't pay as gift.

Group buy hosts can be trusted, if that's requested from them. However, you the user can certainly cover the fees as well.

When in doubt, pay the seller the fees - it's a very tiny amount of your total purchase amount and gives you the ability to act if something goes wrong.

I hope this helps new traders and also serves as a reminder to established traders.

Thank you.

Last edited: