Perfect Blue (Blu-ray SteelBook) [France]

Jun 17, 2020
Release date: April 6, 2021
Purchase links: FNAC - Amazon FR
Price: €29.99

131979962_3668540769858733_6337838765329999521_o.jpg.f3e617756496ab0878ba172c5a61d8a8.jpg

61UHfQ4FVuL._AC_SL1319_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitsune
This doesn't have the same design choices as the Millennium Actress one. I'm extremely disappointed, I was hoping to have a series of Satoshi Kon steelbooks that matched!
That border around the front artwork is ridiculous

Should have been this artwork
iu.jpeg

Reactions: Daubt
Shame about the blue border imo - also worth noting listed with Japanese and French audio and French subtitles only

Was it different for the previous French releases, does anybody know?

I do not have any copy of this movie, so besides the Steelbook it would have no use without English subs.

AFAIK previous French steels or collectors editions were also French and Japanese audio/subs only - very frustrating but may have something to do with who owns the rights in each country, since All The Anime have the distribution rights for this in the UK where as France it's Kaze. No way to know but could be another way to region lock the films since neither offer more than one language subs :squint:

Visually it could have been so much better than this, starting with removing that blue border. Was it so necessary to add the dvd and raise the price up?

• Helpful Post
Reactions: kitsune
Same company (Kaze Animation) also behind the Studio Ghibli steelbook so the border should not come as a complete surprise ...
1612394880575.png
1612395005150.png

... but what may come as a surprise, and not a pleasant one, is that they've recently had 20 of the Studio Ghibli titles in FuturePaks which must be annoying for collectors when the one title not included - THE GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES - is now coming as a steelbook rather than a FuturePak to match the set
1612395909421.png
1612396012630.png

hey all,

I'm not a big fan of Anime but I definitely mark for Akira ... while they may be different movies Perfect Blue is something that has always been known for being a quality anime .... so my question is do you think this would be something I might like? Or do you have to be like hardcore anime fan?

hey all,

I'm not a big fan of Anime but I definitely mark for Akira ... while they may be different movies Perfect Blue is something that has always been known for being a quality anime .... so my question is do you think this would be something I might like? Or do you have to be like hardcore anime fan?

I'm not a big fan of Anime, too.
But I love this film and watch it three times at the theater.
The film is about idol, nightmare and who I am.
For me, Kon Satoshi is the best anime master.
FYI

hey all,

It is a good film that transcends the anime genre. It could have quite easily have been a live action movie. It is a psychological drama/thriller.

Reactions: Wreck and gAnX
hey all,

Do you like the movie BLACK SWAN with natalie portman?
This one is similar it is disturbing, I added it to my collection got the Story book edition.
Not a fan of anime either but this one is for me on the top of the list of best animated movies along Princess Mononoke, Spirited away, Akira, Coraline (stop motion) and a couple of others from disney and pixar.

• Informative
Reactions: Wreck and gAnX
Black Swan (2010) definitely stole the basis of their story from Perfect Blue.
Though there's no hard evidence but Darren Aronofsky and Satoshi Kon met in 2001.
I think it's rather obvious he wanted the rights but didn't get them so had others write a story like it for him to direct.

I'll never watch anything by Darren Aronofsky just for this crime alone.

• Informative
Reactions: Sampy and Wreck