Mondo Planet of the Apes (1968) - OST by Jerry Goldsmith (colored Vinyl)

dan8885

Premium Supporter
Feb 23, 2014
CGN|GER
Release: August 30th, 2016
Purchase Link: Mondo
Price: 35 USD

Note:
50th year anniversary, 2x 180g LP, Artwork by Matthew Woodson, Liner notes by Devin Farci. Available in two versions:
  • Event Edition: Pressed on Black and Yellow Half and Half Vinyl. Housed in a vinyl jacket with sound effects chip. Limited to 1,000 copies.
  • Online Exclusive: Pressed on Purple and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 1) and Green and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 2).

080218cb-22af-4d05-a9ad-7813420b3f51.jpg
6b73d8bd-114f-440a-8e3a-d3efb971cfcb.jpg

POTA_Cover_Blog_1024x1024-1 (1).jpg

We are thrilled to be releasing Jerry Goldsmith’s absolutely astounding score to one of the greatest science fiction films of all time: the original Planet of the Apes. Nominated for an Academy Award, Goldsmith’s score is unlike anything moviegoers had heard before - avant garde, experimental and using every instrument Goldsmith could get his hands on. It stills spins heads today. Essential listening for soundtrack collectors, and fans of the franchise.

Available in two versions:

Event Edition: Pressed on Black and Yellow Half and Half Vinyl. Housed in a vinyl jacket with sound effects chip. Limited to 1,000 copies.

Online Exclusive: Pressed on Purple and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 1) and Green and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 2).

Last edited:
...will be for sale inside Alamo Drafthouse lobbies before and after the screenings at participating locations on August 30th

Locations: https://drafthouse.com/event/apes

Planet Of The Apes - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP
Music by Jerry Goldsmith. Original artwork by Matthew Woodson
Liner notes by Devin Faraci.
Event edition Pressed on 180 Gram Yellow & Black Half-and-Half Vinyl, and features soundchip jacket.
Limited to 1000 Copies
$35

Wonder what the soundship jacket is :D
With a screening at 15 locations I can't see a lot of leftovers. And when they will probably bring them to MondoCon...

"
MONDO
Planet of the Apes - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. 2x 180g LP . Music by Jerry Goldsmith. Artwork by Matthew Woodson. Mastered by James Plotkin. Liner notes by Devin Farci. $35

We are thrilled to be releasing Jerry Goldsmith’s absolutely astounding score to one of the greatest science fiction films of all time: the original Planet of the Apes. Nominated for an Academy Award, Goldsmith’s score is unlike anything moviegoers had heard before - avant garde, experimental and using every instrument Goldsmith could get his hands on. It stills spins heads today. Essential listening for soundtrack collectors, and fans of the franchise.

Event Edition: Pressed on Black and Yellow Half and Half Vinyl. Housed in a vinyl jacket with sound effects chip. Limited to 1,000 copies.

Online Exclusive: Pressed on Purple and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 1) and Green and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 2)."

1.jpg 2.jpg

"Housed in a vinyl jacket with sound effects chip"

What in the hell is that ???? I want it !!!!!! Too bad it's event exclusive..

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
"
MONDO
Planet of the Apes - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. 2x 180g LP . Music by Jerry Goldsmith. Artwork by Matthew Woodson. Mastered by James Plotkin. Liner notes by Devin Farci. $35

Online Exclusive: Pressed on Purple and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 1) and Green and Black Half and Half Vinyl (Disc 2)."

View attachment 261554 View attachment 261555

"Housed in a vinyl jacket with sound effects chip"

What in the hell is that ???? I want it !!!!!! Too bad it's event exclusive..

From what I understand both go on sale online. The event exclusive was offered first at the screenings and the leftovers are probably tomorrow available online.

The sound effect ship should be something like in the greeting cards. When you open the gatefold a tune play (that's what I make of it but I don't know)

I love the movie and the whole series. For me, they are up there with SW, Indiana Jones and so on. I adore these movies from the very first till the latest.
But, I just listened to the OST, it's not something I would listen to. And to just buy it for the look of it and for nostalgia it's too expensive for me sadly :squint:

Reactions: Travis Bickle
I actually watched the film at the weekend and to be honest there really is not much music in the film. As has been pointed out it's mainly sound effects so even if I could get my hands on it, there is really not much music there to temp me.

Thanks @dan8885! The sound chip is a cool idea but I thought they might have used some music rather than that. Still a nice edition for fans of the movie though!:)

It's been a while since I saw this movie, so I don't remember too much about it to be honest... but what the hell is that sound even meant to be? :confused:

:LOL: I was expecting something else

Cheers Dan

Lol wtf was that! A monkey being touched!

It refers to this scene of the movie. You can also hear the sound in the end:

Normally the Forbidden Zone was a restricted zone to the ape society, but Dr Cornelius had been making expeditions to the caves nearest to the beach that lead to the Forbidden Zone. The doll was found in a weathered state from years of erosion but was remarkably recognisable as made in human image. Dr Zaius seemed to have thought nothing of it by explaining that his grandaughter played with dolls like this one, but Cornelius announced that the doll was discovered next to a human jaw bone with no trace of ape remains in the cave. But when the mute human female Nova examined the doll, she accidentally made it talk, catching everyone in the cave completely by surprise. This talking human doll evidently contradicted the Sacred Scrolls and ape beliefs that apes were the only species to speak. George Taylor took it in his stride while asking Dr Zaius: "Doctor Zaius, would an ape make a human doll that TALKS?". The doll was left behind in the cave and presumably buried in the cave when Zaius ordered it to be destroyed.

Normally the Forbidden Zone was a restricted zone to the ape society, but Dr Cornelius had been making expeditions to the caves nearest to the beach that lead to the Forbidden Zone. The doll was found in a weathered state from years of erosion but was remarkably recognisable as made in human image. Dr Zaius seemed to have thought nothing of it by explaining that his grandaughter played with dolls like this one, but Cornelius announced that the doll was discovered next to a human jaw bone with no trace of ape remains in the cave. But when the mute human female Nova examined the doll, she accidentally made it talk, catching everyone in the cave completely by surprise. This talking human doll evidently contradicted the Sacred Scrolls and ape beliefs that apes were the only species to speak. George Taylor took it in his stride while asking Dr Zaius: "Doctor Zaius, would an ape make a human doll that TALKS?". The doll was left behind in the cave and presumably buried in the cave when Zaius ordered it to be destroyed.

Thanks for clearing that up Dan, I must admit I didn't remember that bit. The sound makes more sense now! Lol.

I really need to rewatch this... I can't remember that bit in the film at all. Still, it's a very minor thing (probably why I can't remember it) to be given such a big part in the vinyl release IMO.